1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bill Merchant: Chairman of the Board...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ghostofjk, Jul 5, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I got grudging permission from Chairman Merchant to "mention" on PC that he was elected on June 29 to the new position of Chairman of the Board of the new Hamlet of Beavercreek, pending approval of the County Board of Supervisors. He professed not to know what the "point" would be of my posting it.

The point is obvious. He was just being modest, one of his many admirable characteristics. As I understand it, Beavercreek is kind of a "halfway house" between incorporated "cityhood" and the County Supervisors. Matters affecting residents of Beavercreek must be officially presented to them, not just imposed by the County. Of course, official communication is two-way. (Bill, I'm sure there's more to it than that, so correct/clarify away, now that I've opened the wound. :) )

After I visited Bill for a lunch hour a few weeks ago, I alluded to a "project" he was busy with. This was it. This isn't just election to an existing body: Bill has been instrumental in CREATING it.

Congratulations to Bill. Civic activism---creative, "proactive" activism---is more than OK in my book.

He declined to tell me if he'll be wearing his Prius fob on his forehead to Board meetings.

Probably there won't be an "adult store" built next to Bill's house now, after all. :p

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jul 5 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]281564[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:
    Oh, come on. In a place called "Beaver Creek?" The tshirt sales alone could pay Bill's salary! He could afford to replace that 'moustache rides 5 cents' shirt he's been wearing for so long.

3. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 5 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]281578[/snapback]</div>
    Well, this is Oregon, where "beaver" is so common (as a placename) that people don't even notice it anymore.

Oregon State Baseball: You can't lick our Beavers!

We've also got other great placenames, such as "Boring", "Drain", "Nimrod" and "Dufur". Ask not what Dufur can do for you, but what you can do for Dufur! And everybody knows that the Road to Damascus is Hwy 212.

I grew up in that county, by the way.

I have a $20 prize for any 2006 Prius owner who can get the !@#%ing voice recognition system to recognize "Unincorporated Clackamas County". $10 bonus if you can find a way to enter, via voice, the address of Gladstone Toyota. Bet ya can't do it.

- Bob R.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, thanks to the Unrepentant Nattering Nabob, my secret life is exposed...

Read all about it! This is the first official Hamlet in Oregon.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congratulations, Bill!

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Your very own little fiefdom in Oregon? Cool!!! :D Congrats, Bill!

Hey, isn't that what the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh tried to do there in Oregon?
    [​IMG]

Oh No!!! :eek: I think I see a resemblance. :blink:
    Bill . . . you the love child of the Bhagwan? :lol:

P.S. A little trivia about Beavercreek, Oregon:
    Do you know who Beavercreek's most famous resident was?

NO! Not Bill Merchant! <_<
    It was Tonya Harding and her former husband, Jeff (I'll have you whacked in the knee) Gillooly.