1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bill O'reilly says there are no viable hybrids.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by upland_bill, Jun 1, 2006.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bill O'Reilly is an idiot. 'Nuff said.

And that has nothing to do with his political views, he's just an idiot.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Then I'm pretty sure the king of the no spin zone would really hate flywheels!

We report; you decide.
    Is it possible for someone to retract a trademark?

3. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 1 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]264123[/snapback]</div>
    Just think. It all started with just 3. :p

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will actually listen to conservative talk radio in the morning, mostly for traffic reports but because it IS entertaining. You are left in complete and utter awe that people listen to and believe that crap.
    Rush and Bill have egos so huge that I am dumbfounded to figure out how they could ever be in the same room together.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 1 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]264233[/snapback]</div>
    Gawd you are so right! I mostly seek them out on shortwave radio. They almost bellied-up a few years and so glad we averted that somehow.

BBC world news is not bad, but one might complement their Pacific basin coverage with Radio Australia.

Oh wait, this thread is about O'Reilly. Send him, I do not know, a loofah. Or just a packet of loofah seeds, which would require some personal committment. I see a great deal of personal committment around here, and that is very gratifying.

A search of the BOR web site on "hybrid" yields nothing of interest. If he knows something about these cars that we don't, he is stealthing it.

6. Djsight

Djsight New Member

Bill O' Reilly is my hero!

7. riscky

riscky New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(upland_bill @ Jun 1 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]264097[/snapback]</div>
    Well I'm not to sure about that. Right now I have a `97 Chevy and from May 6th to the 25th I average 27.9 MPG. Not that bad...

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jun 1 2006, 05:37 PM) [snapback]264245[/snapback]</div>
    Is conservative talk radio a good place to go for traffic reports? If it's anything like their reporting of the "facts" from Iraq, it could be bumper-to-bumper on the Santa Monica Freeway, and they'll be telling you there's not a car for miles. :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 1 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]264284[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(upland_bill @ Jun 1 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]264097[/snapback]</div>

For fun, go the the Ford Explorer forum and look at the 'gas milage' section. Lots of people claiming 20+ MPG, some even 30MPG (!). A few post 9-10 MPG and ask how the 20+ people do it. Nobody responds, but I am pretty sure I know the answer.

How does he stay on... by preaching to the choir, those explorer drivers getting 30MPG....

10. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At the risk of interrupting this O'Reilly dump-a-thon...
    It's incorrect to say the Daily Show lampoons all, right or left. It is a clever, literate, funny show. But, here's the typical script:
    - republicans are evil, diabolical, dumb (neat trick actually)
    - democrats are boring
    - a Kennedy's on? pucker up.

and now...
    O'Reilly's an idiot.

11. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Jun 1 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]264370[/snapback]</div>
    That's not true. An example- a few months ago, when Tom DeLay announced he was resigning, that was huge news, and I expected Jon Stewart to be all over it. He only gave it cursory commentary, then proceeded to riff on the Cynthia McKinney incident, dedicating a major portion of the program to it. Now McKinney exercised extremely poor judgement, but in the scheme of things, that was not as big a story as DeLay's resignation. Now I expected Fox "News" to dwell on Cynthia McKinney while giving scant mention to DeLay- maybe the Daily Show was trying to be "fair and balanced?"

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    uhh.... who the %*$& cares what that dip says?

media is all about sensationalizing stories. unfortunately hybrids have been caught up in their mess of bull#(&$...

14. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(simple_in_seattle @ Jun 1 2006, 02:44 PM) [snapback]264176[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. It's entertainment. Do your own research.

The point of the broadcasts like Jon Stewart (his stage name) on the Comedy Channel or Bill O'Reilly on FOX is to provoke and make money.

Don't take it so seriously .....

15. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 1 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]264411[/snapback]</div>
    I saw that and at the time I was wondering how they'd play it, being a black, woman, democrat and all. But it appears that when no one in congress stood up for her she was fair game, almost a civilian. If Jesse Jackson and what's-his-name, the black preacher from NYC, had stood up for her would they have played it the same?

Did anybody see how they covered the piccadillo of the honorable congressman from NO? I seem to remember they just tossed a few softballs at the Kennedy spawn's midnight ramble (I'm listening to led zep).

Yours in sharper satire.

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(j24816 @ Jun 1 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]264369[/snapback]</div>
    For the record, I drove an Explorer for years that my parents still have that consistently got 22MPG on the highway. My Lexus doesn't get much better mileage, 24 on the highway tops. In the city I used to get 16-17. I get 18-19 in the Lexus. Explorers absolutely can get mileage in the 20s, especially with some of the freer flowing mods they do, and especially if they do a lot of highway driving. Every generation the Explorer has gotten more and more efficient. Its not that large of a vehicle, you might be surprised to hear my Lexus also only weighs 600 lbs less than that Explorer and is 1/2 a foot longer? Although its much more aerodynamic obviously.

And also for the record, I know the forum of which you speak and there's one guy who claims to get 30MPG in his Explorer, and he's commonly felt to be insane and everything he does is meant to increase the mileage. Is it possible? Who knows. Is he just crazy? Probably.

You also have to remember a lot of the Explorers on that forum are modified for offroad use with lift kits and oversized tires, roof racks etc. I can tell you for sure, because my family has had three Explorers dating back to 1994, that no stock Explorer will get only 9-10 MPG unless the driver floggs it or its in disrepair. The Explorer is a high teens, low 20s MPG vehicle, always has been.

Like with the Prius, it varies depending on how you drive and where you drive. We get 38-40MPG in the Prius. Does that mean I don't believe those of you who claim to get 60 or think you're stupid? No, you obviously just drive the vehicle differently and in a different capacity than we do.

17. Expedition

Expedition New Member

:lol: Finally a member of the media with an unbiased opinion on vehicles! [​IMG]

18. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People generally have the misconception that hybrids are not "peppy", but are surprised when they drive them. I test drove several different models in the "small car" category (in which I include the Camry and similar sized Prius), and the Prius seemed to have the best "off the line" accelleration over all the other 4 cylinder cars (I didn't test drive the 6 cylinder Camry).

Most journalists are lazy, and will simply include an opinion from one side, then another, to appear "balanced". You have to do the research yourself, no matter who is doing the reporting. With a car, its easy. Just drive the darn thing, and you'll see.

My mechanic brother, who hates Toyotas on principle, tells me an electric motor will have better low end torque, or something like that. All I know is that I can get on the freeway faster in my Prius than I could in my old Sienna mini-van, and faster than the company F150 I'm driving for a few days. I drive like a maniac, without regard to "pulse and glide" or "ebb and flow" or "push and pull" or whatever it is the mileage addicts are doing. And I'm getting a consistent 47.5 MPG.

19. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    if people think hybrids aren't "peppy" they should go drive a Lexus GS450h LOL

The Prius has plenty of power, its pretty anemic but no moreso than an I4 Camry.

20. SanZan

SanZan Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 1 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]264107[/snapback]</div>
    Quoted for truth. Absolutely spot on.