1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bin Laden Gets a Pass from Pakistan

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Sep 5, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I don't think it's completely fair to say it's prevalent through the party. The majority of Republicans have a much better grip on things that the few neocon extremists that post so defensively here.

It's no more fair to equate the posts of kow, berman, or Priusguy to the 'average' republican than it is for them to generalize some of the more liberal ideas expressed here to the entire democratic party.

The reality is that the majority of Americans lean much more toward the middle. The huge majority recognize the mistake that Iraq was, the differences in opinion surround how to resolve it. Very few still swear up and down that it always was an still is the right decision...we here from that extremist group here all the time.

In this case, the defensiveness is to the extreme. The 'good American' would have agreed and said "Yes, we need to act promptly, as a country, to force Pakistan to reverse that stance if they wish to still be considered a 'friendly country' to the US". We all agree, I think, on the importance of Pakistan in this issue.

Iran getting nukes is completely irrelevant to the original question and is being used as a diversion b/c the original question makes them uncomfortable...I agree it shouldn't, but somehow it does anyway.

Oh, well I'm at it, let me do a dbermanmd question:
    "obfuscate if you must but would you let Pakistan shelter OBL? simple yes or no would do. no contortions needed here."

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Point taken Evan. Replace "throughout the party" in my rant by "with extremists in the party". Thanks.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 6 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]315366[/snapback]</div>
    I am not a republican - true. check out cnn.com - lead article now refuting this posts initial posit. anyhow, analysis from others suggest it had other political and military reasons behind it. one suggested the taliban gave pakistani forces a little of a whooping while others suggested it was hype/trap. you can research the location of special us forces and how far north they are in that area with forward base deployments.

no they should not shelter him.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

dbermanmd: "no we dont want obl at this time - it would create potentially a more dangerous environment - it is better to pursue our course of attacking the middle and lower upper operatives first. killing obl does not stop al qaeda."

dbermanmd: "no they should not shelter him."

Now you've got 2 contradictions to answer for. Clinton did or did not give nukes to NK, and OBL should or should not be pursued.

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Sep 6 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]315227[/snapback]</div>
    Ahhh another hit, right on the money.... Ive had to deal with it too, Ive gotten under someones skin and they veiw every post as an attack or some thing ,Ok ok enough of the waambulance. ;)

Again I agree with efusco's post... (kow is an independent) (priusguy04 is a republican) (dbermanmd is a, not really sure what he is) but I dont consider my self an extremist.... My middle of the road democrat wife swears Im a liberal on the republican side of the coin, not really sure what that means though. :unsure:

Im just opinionated... B)

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 6 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]315480[/snapback]</div>
    That is absolutely false, you're not opinionated, I'm opinionated (and a liar and many other nasty things if you believe some of our PC friends)!!

It's fun being opinionated (esp. when you're always right! ;) )

7. triphop

triphop New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 6 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]315480[/snapback]</div>
    Ain't that the truth!
    I am fiscally conservative (to an extent) & socially liberal (to an extent). I can flipflop - I admit it freely.
    Ain't we all!

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 6 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]315530[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

efusco:
    I hate going to the wifes family reunions I get surounded by dems & extreme liberal dems! I dont mind having discussions with the dems, we generally have a good time until the republican bashing starts and thats started by the extremists :rolleyes: the dems give thier views, most would be looked at as middle of the road thats 6 of them the other 5 get violent if pushed too far.. :blink: I get my 2 cents in and then get the quarters dumped on me.... :(

We generally try and steer clear of the politics and have a good time... I have been told the middle roaders respect me as I can hold my own, but I have also learned a lot of their views and agreed with alot of them. ;)

For the others:
    Here I feel the need to add the smileys to my posts, so the wording doesn't miss lead and make people think Im trying to pick a fight.. :p

Oh well, in regards to our political conversations we all bring up good topics that we feel strongly about and we all have very good points that come out in the discussions! :)

9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 6 2006, 09:18 PM) [snapback]315548[/snapback]</div>
    Agree with you here pg4! :)

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 6 2006, 09:26 AM) [snapback]315215[/snapback]</div>
    I had a good teacher. Besides I 'm a man of few words.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...mp;#entry311549

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...mp;#entry312933

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...mp;#entry312932

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...mp;#entry312123

[attachmentid=4906]

Attached Files:

• cow.gif
      cow.gif
      File size:
      1.1 KB
      Views:
  11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 6 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]315366[/snapback]</div>
    Well you’re assuming that Pak is sheltering the terrorist, I think if anything they are just holed up in Pak and the present Gov can't get them. .02

Wildkow

12. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, the guy most responsible for spreading nuclear WMD throughout the world is Khan, a Pakistani, American educated national, and father of Pakistans nuclear weapons program. It all started after India, in 1974, touched off the nuclear arms race with it's hated neighbor, Pakistan, by lighting off an underground nuclear test bomb. After 911, Pakistan became Bushes pet and Mussarif a stratigec ally in the war on terror even though it was a Pakistani national that peddeled nuclear technology through out the world for profit. Mussarif says Pakistan had no knowledge of Khans activities (that's a lie of course) but with Mussarif in a position to possibly keep terror from spreading, the west is unwilling to push the issue. It was through Khans influence that North Korea, Iran and Libya obtained the cetrufuges to make weapons grade plutonium. Saddam was also approached and declined in 1996 because he thought it was a western plot to catch him buying WMD on the open market. Inspections do, and were, working to prevent Saddam from building WMD despite Bushes statements otherwise. Khan made 17 trips to North Korea, 14 to Iran, 6 to Libya and 17 to the Chinese and one to Iraq on what was supposedly religious pilgrimages all okd by Pakistans government and each of his visits were to countries noted for their openess and their protection of human rights and religious freedoms. Yea, Right!

In Al Queda documents captured in Pakistan, it appears as if they do indeed have a supply of fissionable materials and it's no surprise Khan has visited OBL and it's doccumented by intellegence services. Along with all the technology he had at his disposal he also gave to North Korea and Iran detailed plans on how to build a bomb stolen, or rather given to him, from the Chinese. He lives quietly now in Pakistan, forcibly retired, and quietly living off the proceeds of his sales under the watchfull eyes of intelligence services of various western countries. Through satellite photos of Irans and North Koreas nuclear program, we now know they are enriching uranium into weapons grade plutonium and they are being fasioned into dome profiles useful for only one purpose... a bomb, despite Irans lamentining their program is only for peaceful purposes. The lessson learned by want to bes here is clear. Obtain the technology, do it secretly, and build a bomb as quickly as possible to prevent western powers from making your life misserable for if you do posess a bomb, the west won't dare touch you.

The nuclear cat is out of the bag and it can never be put back in. That is Khans legasy, or gift, depending on how you look at it. It's also interesting to note, that to date, no country with fissionable materials has ever failed into making a successful bomb on its first try. It seems that part is rather easy compared to obtaining the technology to produce fissionable material. The world now has access to a Walmart super store to buy technology because of Khans network. So who is to blame here? The republicans or the democrats? The intelligences services? Or our now trusted partner in the war on terror, Pakistan? Perhaps the Dutch who originally made the cetrifuges, or United Kingdom for providing Khan his knowledge in metalurgy when he worked there. You decide and vote your conscience at the polls. That is of course, little comfort in todays world as we gleefuly praise our democratic freedoms.
    -Paul R Haller-