1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Biometric locks ... there is a risk

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Nov 8, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Plane bound for island paradise diverted after women discovers husband's affair mid-flight

The Iranian couple, flying with their child, were en route to Denpasar for a holiday at the popular Indonesian island when the woman allegedly used the thumb of her sleeping husband to unlock his phone, where she found evidence of his infidelity.

So now I'm not so sorry when I replaced my iPhone 5s with a 3d party battery that broke the finger print reader.

Bob Wilson

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife just got an iPhone 8 as a replacement for her old iPhone 5.
    She cannot get the fingerprint recognition to work because her fingerprints are too worn from working on a farm growing up.
    She previously had issues when somebody wanted to fingerprint her.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife has a couple of very fine creases across the middle of her thumb prints. Our S6 Android phones allow for 4 different prints. I solved her thumb recognition problem by added the same thumb three different times. It now works every time.

Bluegrassman and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fingerprints are the least of the problems with biometric locks.

Newer phones use facial recognition which can open a Pandora's box of ethical twists and turns.
    Just imagine if big phone 'uses' (sells) faceprint data info to allow the two or three brick and mortar stores that are left to use 'their' smart cameras to target potential customers.....

I can see it now.
    You're walking through the Amazon store in the Amazon mall.....and a salesperson runs up to you and shouts : "We're running a special on that hemorrhoid creme that you were looking for on the internet this morning, Mr Bagadoughnuts!!!"

...really could put a damper on that first date..... :D

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  5. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use a PIN, because no US government agency can compel you to enter your PIN or password.

Although, there have been reports from the EFF & ACLU that naturalized citizens or citizens that just look/sound foreign have been forced to do so during the current regime.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Report: The FBI may have made a crucial mistake in its efforts to unlock the Texas shooter’s iPhone | 9to5Mac

The report goes on to explain that the 48 hour gap may have been a crucial mistake on the part of law enforcement officials. If the FBI had asked Apple within 48 hours for help unlocking the device, Apple could have instructed them to “use the dead man’s finger to unlock his device.” Since 48 hours has gone by since the device was last unlocked, however, iOS will now require a passcode to unlock.

The delay may prove important. If Kelley had used a fingerprint to lock his iPhone, Apple could have told officials they could use the dead man’s finger to unlock his device, so long as it had not been powered off and restarted.

Bob Wilson

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe they are already beyond that. They can get facial recognition signatures from other sources. Or use your smart device ID codes (phone, wifi, BT, etc.) and find existing data broker services to match those electronic IDs to real names.

#7 fuzzy1, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's nothing so safe it can't be cracked by someone else with the skill and determination.

Mark57 likes this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nor data so safely guarded that it cannot be stolen and sold.....

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  10. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I concur. I believe the "REAL ID" Act has the provision to make states take driver's license pictures in a manner such that they can be used in a faceprint database. One is not allowed to wear glasses when that picture is taken.

I look odd, since I'm myopic and couldn't see the small whatever I was supposed to look at. It was at least five feet away. Not a fighting chance.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's another creepy story. A little late for Halloween though.

Apple offered to help FBI unlock Texas shooter's phone

Apparently a dead man's finger could be used to unlock the iPhone. Do we need armor plated gloves now?? :eek:

Many people think the FBI waited to they could blame encryption. If they had unlocked the phone and got the data, they could not make as strong a case.

RCO likes this.