1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bit of a shake up last night

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mendel Leisk, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At 11:40 pm last night, brushing my teeth, suddenly the house was twisting/shaking incomprehensibly. Was reported by the the US Geological Survey as 4.8 magnitude quake, just NNE of downtown Victoria, on Vancouver Island. Pretty freaky, felt like someone was trying to break the house. Only lasted a few seconds, with a bit more vibration up to about the 10 second mark.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was recently watching a TV program on plate tectonics and saw that up in your area one can dig down through thousands of centuries of the geologic record and find fossilized palm leaves. Was it that warm up there back then? No. Those palms are on the plate moving north and were down around the southern California/Mexico area back when they were alive.

You just experienced the most recent "step" in a very long walk. Amazing.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A 4... how cute.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As in, not much compared to the California quakes? Yeah, you can keep them, lol.

We get very infrequent, mild quakes. The last was maybe a decade back, centered in Seattle. That was mild, rolling motion, went on for some time, close to a minute.

The one the other night was much shorter, a matter of 4~5 seconds, with slight sway for the next 10 seconds. But man-o-man, it really felt like something structural was going to break for a bit, really shook the house.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, freaky is the only way to describe it. i've been through two, one in southern new hampshire, thought the boiler blew up or a bulldozer hit the house. only a second. the other here, just some rumbling and vibration for one or two seconds.

6. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When we get earthquakes here, and we do every few years, they are more of a BANG than a roll or lurch. A large sonic boom might be similar with our versions of 4.x's. I live very near the busiest rail corridor in the country and some heavy freights will make the house shake and roll just a bit; those situations are more classic earthquake-like. I have learned from some TV shows that if we get a real big one here, it will seem more like the concussive force of a very very large explosion, which could be just as damaging, and deadly from glass panels blowing clean out of buildings downtown and raining death to those below.