1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bit the bullet - oem hv battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Toddwilks, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 07 with 117000mi was running great for months since I bought it then this week I got P0A80, P3013, and P3000. I know it was a problem in block 3 but rather than going the replacing cells route and chancing somewhere else going wrong and having to rebalance, I called my dealer to get s price on s new battery. They were able to match McGeorge Toyota of 1645 which I thought was a great deal considering replacement batteries were around 1000 to 1200. So I went ahead and ordered an OEM battery and should have it in a day or two. This car will be the first car I officially drive until the wheels fall off.

IMG_7774.jpg

iPhone ?

2. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wish you would have posted here first. There is an alternative for $1600, and works better than OEM (in my opinion). newpriusbatteries.com

3. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My battery lasted 13 years. It’s a hard case for any aftermarket to try and beat those claims and proven tech no matter how advanced they claim they are. And that site has the same price. For that I’ll still buy oem.

iPhone ?

scona, fotomoto, Merkey and 3 others like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am a supporter of the @2k1Toaster battery. That being said, I'd love to hear some details as to what "testing" you have performed on a new OEM battery pack compared to 2k1's battery pack that supports your opinion.

Raytheeagle and strawbrad like this.
  5. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure what you’re referring to. If a battery in 2007 lasted 13 years, the same battery brand new should last just the same. Find an aftermarket that can prove theirs can and will do that with actual proof and I’ll be a believer. If it’s the same price or close to it, my opinion is but what you know for sure works, especially with all these gimmicky companies around today.

iPhone ?

scona and Merkey like this.
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $1,690 is a great deal.
    It will involve more work than a drop in replacement. Work slowly and carefully. Be sure to use all the new parts. And transfer over the missing parts from old one to the new one.
    Also, please be sure to use an inch-pound torque wrench to properly tighten each of the HV battery connections.

This pack is a great purchase and will last you for the life of the car.

Merkey likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! that's a great price. you made the right decision.

are you pickingit up, or are they shipping free?

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Toddwilks

All I'm referring to is that I support the battery developed by @2k1Toaster as an option to OEM, not necessarily support it as being better than OEM. I think it's great someone (with the technical know-how) has put forth the effort to give everyone an additional option. It's convenient that Toyota dropped their prices by about $500 not long after his battery came out. I fully agree that this battery does not yet have "big numbers" of years under it's belt compared to OEM.

I also support the fact that the Toyota battery is LONG proven to be a veritable tank, with millions in circulation and chewing through the years with no problem. I was asking George, who opined that 2k1's battery was better than Toyota's, what evidence he has to support that conclusion/opinion. If someone has performed some type of side-by-side testing of both models in brand new condition, I would love to see the results. If someone's comparing a new 2k1 toaster battery to a worn Toyota battery, or vice-versa, then it's not apples to apples. Its like comparing a new set of NGK spark plugs to a set of Denso plugs that have 120k miles on them, and then, based on those results, stating that NGK plugs are much better than Denso..

As for your choice, it makes total sense to me. If I had a choice of 2 batteries that were similar in price, and I want to be able to just get in my car and drive with 100% reliability every day, I would choose the one that had the best history of getting that done. Currently, that battery is the OEM one. A few years from now, the 2k1 battery could easily have proven itself, as I believe it is currently forging ahead in that direction.

strawbrad and Merkey like this.
  9. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From the my view as someone who has used both, I saw immediate advantages of 2k1Toaster's product.

1. Half the batteries, makes for easier replacement
    2. Better airflow. This is fact, not speculation. 2k1Toaster's batteries respond to temp changes in seconds, where as my OEM ran hotter and required minutes to respond. If I did not use Hybrid Assistant to manually force cooling, they would run hot all the time. With the cylinder batteries, I don't need to run a smart app anymore. The improved airflow keeps them within a few degrees of ambient.
    3. Cylinder batteries do not have to be compressed together in the re-assembly, shortening Installation
    4. No vent tubing required, because the round batteries have better airflow around them. Again, shortens Installation.
    5. 2k1Toaster provides new parts and harness,and a well written manual.

All it took was for me to believe in my DIY capabilities, and I had a new pack installed in a day. My OEM are mine to keep.

Merkey likes this.
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't sweat it.
    You did fine buying an OEM battery.
    Here's to another decade of Prius operation.

scona likes this.
  11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    George, isn't this a photo of your battery? If so, what are those wires inside the circle?

George Battery.jpg

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wiring for temperature sensors?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, I'm just waiting for George to acknowledge if that is the case. Need to have a small discussion about heat transfer and fluid flow in regard to this..there's some conceptual error going on..

2. Better airflow. This is fact, not speculation. 2k1Toaster's batteries respond to temp changes in seconds, where as my OEM ran hotter and required minutes to respond. If I did not use Hybrid Assistant to manually force cooling, they would run hot all the time. With the cylinder batteries, I don't need to run a smart app anymore. The improved airflow keeps them within a few degrees of ambient.

I wonder what temperature an engine temp gauge would show if we were to take the coolant temperature sensor out of the coolant and mount it on the front bumper of the car?

Those mounting locations are basically the equivalent of mounting the sensors in the fan outlet duct (inlet duct to the battery).

#13 TMR-JWAP, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    strawbrad likes this.
  14. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The sensor wires are placed at the ends, and middle of the pack, near the centerline of the cell.. The tips of the sensor wires are held next to the cylinders by circular clips which are part of the kit supplied by 2k1Toaster. The circular clips are not visible from the camera side.

bisco likes this.
  15. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not bad, build date June 2019. Got it in a few minutes ago.

IMG_7796.jpg IMG_7795.jpg IMG_7792.jpg IMG_7793.jpg

iPhone ?

Raytheeagle, Aegean, bisco and 3 others like this.
  16. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Congratulations on your OEM battery! I would do the same next time and my personal opinion is that there is no comparison between an OEM battery with aftermarket cells that consumers build themselves into a battery. The OEM battery has been tested in millions of vehicles for billions of miles and operating environments from 130 degree desert to -30 degrees temperatures.

Then factoring in they sell at the same price? Not a chance for me to try anything else than OEM Toyota. Truth is I have used aftermarket parts (not hybrid battery) in the past but only when price was half or less with similar specs.

strawbrad likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they don't all sell at the same price, unfortunately

18. DinaTOYOTA

DinaTOYOTA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How the heck do I get an OEM battery???

19. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All NJ dealers will match any other dealer in NJ price. I called 6 dealers and all said the same thing. I decided to go 45 min away from my new house and I brought the print out and they checked online and said no problem.

iPad ?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing. things have really changed in the oem battery replacement department