1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bit the bullet

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by SR-71, Nov 11, 2017.

1. SR-71

SR-71 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After hearing Trump wants tack on a law to the new proposed Tax Bill that will eliminate (immediately or ASAP) the EV Tax Credit, and also eliminate the plug-in hybrid tax credit by the end of 2017, and he is pushing to get the new Tax Bill signed by Christmas 2017, I decided to cancel my Tesla Model 3 order and buy a Prius Prime Advanced instead. My Prime is really new so I've only charged in twice. Fully charged I see an indication of 24.7 miles of EV range, although from what I've read on this forum that may improve slightly with time. I'm currently weeding through the manuals trying to configure the display the way I want. There sure are a lot of menus!

On the way home from the dealership (several hundred miles), my Prime averaged 62mpg,. It wasn't until the next day I realized I had the car switched to the Power Mode and not the Eco mode, so I'm not sure if I can expect better mileage than 62. So far I really like the car, although I'm not too keen about not having a spare tire (yes... I've read the posts on the subject).

My old Prius (2004) just turned 224,000 miles, doesn't burn a drop of oil and stills runs great. It's also still getting the same fuel mileage it got since new (46 to 51). If my new Prius holds up as well as my old one, I'll be a happy camper.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

3. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Good move. It's possible you are now the 3rd Prime in the NC Prime club. Welcome. I routinely get 35 all EV miles, and after 2800 total miles averaging 107 mpge with plenty of hour long trips to the Triangle.

fneil likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats!

Time to update your user profile :D

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...a bird in hand is better..:whistle:
    Did you come up here to the I495 Beltway to get that Prime?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Basically got my Advanced last Thursday for the same reason. Gave up the Oregon incentive that goes into effect in January, but didn’t want to loose the federal credit if it gets cancelled.

I’ve spent time sitting in the driveway pushing & poking various buttons and reading the 784 page owners manual. I jokingly asked the sales guy why there wasn’t a course at our community college for this car!

Craig

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Several good vids here and on you tube about setting those things up if you are more of a visual learner.

Oh, and congrats. You will love the car.

Keep your watts up.

Change your profile...you are a Primer now.

Oh, soon you will have sheep.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  8. PriusC4me

PriusC4me Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Congratulations on the new car. I did the same thing and picked up my Prime Plus Friday due to the impending tax credit ending this year. Been wanting one for awhile, this just got me to pull the trigger and little faster. Hope you enjoy your car as much as I do mine so far.

9. SR-71

SR-71 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, I went up thru northern Virginia on I-95, eventually ending up at Hertiage Toyota in Owings Mills MD. Nice dealership. Friendly folks.

I-95 traffic in northern VA was tolerable on the trip north, but I hit a 40 mile long traffic jam coming south on Friday, but the deal was worth the drive. Before retiring I lived in northern Virginia and worked in DC for many years. I thought I was prepared for the I-95 traffic but it has gotten considerably worst since I retired from that area.

Trying to find the Advanced edition in silver with black interior was challenging. No local dealers in NC had any Primes at all and when I asked whether they could get one from another dealership, perhaps in another state, I learned there are Toyota "districts", and unfortunately different districts are not permitted to exchange/trade vehicles between them. For example my local dealer could exchange vehicles with SC dealerships but not dealerships in VA. Odd, eh? My local dealer ran a check last week and I was told there are only 9 Prius Primes in dealerships from NC to FL, and 6 of those were being pre'ed for pick up. Unfortunately I wasn't interested in the 3 that were still available, so off to Maryland I went! :)

wjtracy likes this.
  10. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Have sheep and oranges already

11. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And so it begins.

12. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And rainbows, and tulips, and sunshine, la la la la:p:D

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those are expensive sheep and oranges. I do not have them but I do not have a Prime either. :D

14. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Google Jim Moran Enterprises and you will learn all you need to know about Toyota "districts" , meaning SE Toyota. In the 70's Jim wanted exclusive distributor rights to all US dealerships, but Toyota only caved on the SE states.

jjmerp and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. HypersonicPrime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are a few Primes in eastern NC apparently. I got one a couple months ago (also partially due to potentially losing the tax credit). It's a fantastic (and fun!) vehicle.

fneil likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!!

The angle at which you took the picture perfectly highlights that subtle design that the Chief Designer wanted in the Prius - Look at the front door sill and see how it catches the light. It then fades into a tick as that accent line rises through the rear door.

HypersonicPrime likes this.
  17. Watch this video (Toyota Prius PRIME 2017 - Overview of the Main and Multi Information Display Screens)
    It will help you learn faster as you go through the menus.

benagi, huskers and CraigM like this.
  18. Jothen2002

Jothen2002 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Not sure if it is confirmed but I heard the credit stayed in??

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

19. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  20. fneil

fneil Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    SR-71, pineprius, HypersonicPrime and me - are there any other NC members with Primes? I've only ever seen one other on the road in the state, in Durham. Rare birds! (I had to go to Rhode Island to get mine.)