1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bitcoin

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Nov 29, 2017.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I met some bitcoin workers while waiting in Beijing airport. They were very optimistic about it; you are not surprised. Posting here to find out readers' perspectives on this and cryptocurrencies in general.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't believe the value of a bitcoin. I heard some friends talking about it during the summer, I didn't think anything of it. But a few months later, it's more than doubled in price

3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Vanguard Founder Jack Bogle Says ‘Avoid Bitcoin Like the Plague’ - Bloomberg

“Bitcoin has no underlying rate of return,” said Bogle, 88, who started the first index fund in 1976. “You know bonds have an interest coupon, stocks have earnings and dividends, gold has nothing. There is nothing to support bitcoin except the hope that you will sell it to someone for more than you paid for it.”

It’s “crazy” to invest in the digital asset, he added. “Bitcoin may well go to $20,000 but that won’t prove I’m wrong. When it gets back to $100, we’ll talk.”

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It is defined to have only 21 million coins in existence, of which the final million or so do not yet exist. Fixed supply; variable demand.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone posted here about how much they were making, it was impressive. i'm too old to understand it, but good luck to them. seems like the fed or the irs would squash it if it became to big.

JC91006 likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Unsurprising that folks tied to conventional currencies respond negatively to disruption. This neither makes them right or wrong.

VFerdman and Trollbait like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    currency takes so much faith, this is like starting a new car company, next to impossible.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Adjudicating bitcoin transactions is computationally (energetically) expensive. This is what keeps it 'honest'. It is also why bitcoin people are in China and nearby shopping for inexpensive places to plug in their hardware.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Evangelism and skepticism now swirling around bitcoin may be similar to Prius back in the day. Or it may be completely different. That is the fun of it; we just can't know for sure.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ponzi scheme.

Kevin_Denver likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you buy some?

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Not sure this term specifically applies. In Ponzi you extract something of universally recognized value from a late-arriving group to reward an earlier-arriving group. And repeat.

In bitcoin the extracting is of personal faith. I'm just not sure this is the same thing.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Buy @11. Not germane to this discussion, but frankly I am on the fence. If my goal was to drum up enthusiasm (thus my personal gain) I would have posted a price history chart, dontcha think?

RCO likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This isn't a U.S. thing. The Fed and IRS don't have the power to squash foreigners doing their own things in their own lands.
    If he were a real proponent, he'd be mining or creating it.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are no bitcoins in the u.s.?

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Mining = creating, at least in a limited sense. This has become a very expensive thing to do. Some websites will use your computational resources to mine as a consequence of connecting to them. My first interaction with bitcoin was to prohibit such mining in this computer.

Those real proponents suggested that folks like me should urge merchants (broadly defined) to accept bitcoin transactions. Did not care much if I used them or mined them.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It isn't something homed in or controlled from the U.S. It is decentralized, spread across the whole planet.
    I missed that, thanks for the heads-up. But it does appear that NoScript on my Firefox setup should block it, and I've noticed no CPU hogging with any of my various Win10 problems.

18. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cryptocurrencies will only really make sense when they are actually currencies. If I bought Euros with dollars 10 years ago, I could buy back dollars today without much gain or loss. The same is certainly not true for bitcoin 5 years ago. If bitcoins were currency today, they would be causing massive deflation, causing everyone to hold tight onto them and not spend, crippling the economy.

They're also not long term sustainable investments, because they return nothing in real life. Companies grow their businesses (stocks), making money from loans (bonds). One bitcoin today will still be one bitcoin in the future. One could compare it to investing in gold, but it's still not a good analogy. Gold is used in millions of products due to its chemical properties and desirability for jewelry. In 100 years gold will still be useful for these things. What will a bitcoin be useful for? Nothing except being a bitcoin.

Bitcoin and digital "currencies" are interesting to study and understand, but they're not stable enough to be useful as currencies, and don't have any long term investment return potential. Moreover, I don't see the value to society in spending millions and millions of dollars on hardware and power to produce what is essentially smoke and mirrors. Great technology IMO, poor implementation.

Believing in Bitcoin as a form of currency is akin to believing in anarchy as a form of government. Yeah the Federal Reserve (and equivalent in other countries) is far from perfect, but it's a lot better than having no management of money, which is how Bitcoin behaves. There's no way to change the rules down the line once it's implemented.

The technology itself is amazing and it's cool to see its use being started to be implemented by banks for money transactions. So all in all, I think good will come out of this movement.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bitcoins are nothing but a scam.

I remember about 5 years ago somebody talked me into spending $20 on the bloody things, and all I got was a receipt with some crazy numbers on it.
    The coins never came! :(

$50......
    Wasted.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ did you keep that receipt with the numbers on it?

SFO likes this.