1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bitcoin

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Nov 29, 2017.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe folks should re-think that. Another major theft of Bitcoins was reported today. This article also lists two other recent and even larger thefts, and notes that North Korea is stepping up its game at trying to thieve it:

NiceHash: Millions of dollars may have been stolen in bitcoin hack - Dec. 7, 2017

Here is an actual news link:
    Bitcoin: Nobel winner says digital currency should be 'outlawed' - Dec. 1, 2017

#41 fuzzy1, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Bitcoin itself is unhackable according to those who 'do' it. Electronic wallets in which bitcoins are stored are obviously hackable.

In 9 days of this thread, BTC has risen from about $10K to about $16K. This subsumed a 20% loss in value that was momentarily newsworthy.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    real test will come with the next economic crash.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I've been checking in every few hrs to see if it slips. Odd obsession considering I (claim to) not own any.

Do you mean that other economic factors will crash and BTC may/may not follow? Or that a big BTC loss would infect other sectors?

For the moment exuberant exuberance persists.

RCO likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's irrational exhuberance personified. The new tulip rush?

If it was mainstream, wouldn't this just be runaway inflation??

RCO and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i mean, if the economy crashes, will bitcoin go with it, or rise above? lots of things have had staggering increases in the last 5 years, means nothing really, except to the people who cash in before they go back down.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Many have said so. Or, it could be that a wider field of potential investors are arriving and
    supply/demand thing is still getting worked out.

For me a central feature is BTC are hard capped at 21 million units. May or may not be the case for other cryptocurrencies. Certainly is not the case for any fiat currency. So eventually participants en masse will decide how much wealth (value) is to be tied up in this system. From that the unit price is set.

Ultimate 'grain' of BTC is also preset at 10^-7 BTC. Just now those (called Satoshis) are worth about 2 US cents if I divided correctly.

If y'all ever hear entrancements from bitcoin people, they advance idea that wealth exchange between people can occur by purely electronic/computational means. Without a trusted intermediary (govt, bank, etc) for hand-holding (and fee-extracting). That bitcoin itself may not be that medium, but that such can occur by electronic/computational means. For me, the reality rests there and not in tulip/Ponzi/bubble analogies.

Can people entrust wealth transfers to cyber? Or are we always beneath (protected by?) for-profit institutions? This seems to be the question that bitcoin asks. It may not be and does not claim to be the answer. But by asking this question, OMG so much stuff has happened recently.

I goad Prius folk here with idea that they have been in front of one (transportation) disruption, but perhaps far behind in another.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they can trust them until they can't. who owns/operates this thing?

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    @46. Deep waters. What is your wealth? A house or two, all things inside it, a car or two and all other things outside it. Financial instruments also tied to fiat currency.

Your wealth is tied to your confidence in institutions that may or may not treat you as most important client.

Straying from this thread, your wealth is what you know and what you can do and what devices you have accumulated. That is a whole 'nother thing.

After a financial crash, your wealth persists if it includes GOLD or other physical object that everyone agrees represents wealth. Bitcoin is an example of another way that wealth could persist; by way of general agreement that cyber can manage wealth interactions among people. Maybe it can and maybe it cannot. Early days.

RCO likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it is the opposite. Bitcoins are gaining value. With runaway inflation, the currency loses value. The nation prints ever increasing amounts of currency with no upper llimit, while Bitcoins have a pre-established limit on the total quantity.

This non-expandable upper limit is very certainly a major problem in a very large -- and continually expanding -- economic 'universe'.

For reference, total worldwide hard and paper currencies (all of them, not just the US dollar) are now equivalent to about US $7 Trillion.
    All the world's above-ground gold is about the same (and far more is still buried un-mined).
    All the world's stock market valuations are about $70 Trillion.
    All the world's money supply, including non-physical forms such as checking and savings accounts in banks, is about $90 Trillion.
    All the world's real estate is something over $200 Trillion.

All of these measures keep expanding along with growing populations and economies. I don't see how a cryptocurrency with a hard limit of 21 million units can stably handle such economies. The ever-rising value of the currency encourages deflation, and hoarding in place of economic activity.

Mendel Leisk and tochatihu like this.
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    who @48. Bitcoin is owned by no one as far as I can tell. It is operated by miners and wallet managers. It seems to be cast in the spirit of free, open-source computer coding. To be simply presented as a wealth-hold and -transfer alternative.

If not so, it would be a very bad place to entangle your wealth. With current BTC 'value' zoom, one would expect investigative reporters to smoke out bad if it exists. I'd hope that any such would get presented here.

BTC has had several large value drops, and more will occur whenever a not-small fraction of BTC owners seek return to more conventional wealth strategies. Current steep few-day rise looks exuberant to me, and later fall WILL hit the news. But I suggest looking at 1 year path (at least) if you might consider getting into this game.

BTC investment has not yet enticed large retirement fund entities. I consider TIAA CREF but there are many others. If those folks decide to join, we night expect both valuation increase and greater price stability.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Put BTC in context of @50, BTC market cap is now <0.3 trillion as $USD.

Fuzzy1 wonders how bitcoin could supplant with only 2.1*10^7 units. But it implies 2.1*10^14 Satoshis. I do not suppose that 'granularity' will be a problem.

I do wonder whether recent bitcoin wallet attacks affect large retirement fund from dipping their toes in. They should be recruiting white-hat hackers eh? Born decades after me.

#52 tochatihu, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Gold US $7 Trillion @50, may I say here that that amount or more can be extracted, but terrestrial gold mining is among worst things we do. As much as I love gold, it is icky on the way out. Having a 'pretend' value item instead could be more environmentally friendly. However, see bitcoin mining electricity consumption above.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anyone else in this thread, beside @ETC(SS) (who MAY have net worth rivalling Bill Gates), invested in bitcoin, or etherium?

I have not, but one our sons is really gung-ho, easy enough when it's not his money. I'm nowhere near bright enough to understand it, even have an inkling.

RCO likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that granularity wasn't my concern. The effective deflation of the currency is what grabs my attention.

A mild, steady, predictable currency inflation encourages economic activity, which generally leads to growth. The currency itself is not an investment, because it slowly loses value. So instead of hoarding it under the mattress, people have strong incentive to spend it now while it still has its value, or invest it in something that creates better value in the future. Both of these create economic activity that leads to increased value in other things.

Deflation encourages people to hoard the currency, not spend or invest it, because the currency itself will have greater value in the future. This tends to shut down other value-creating economic activity. Without that activity, trade and economic and technological progress slow down, poverty expands, more people starve.

In a universe of population growth that needs to be accompanied by economic expansion, the cap on Bitcoin units effectively forces deflation.

#55 fuzzy1, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $80,000,000. worth of bitcoins 'stolen'?

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that this isn't the first time it has happened.

Nor second. Nor even third. A few years ago, the Mt. Gox exchange lost 850,000 bitcoins.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they ever find them?

m.wynn likes this.
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The anonymity built into the system is designed to prevent anyone from identifying who else has them.

20. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have several rather basic questions about bitcoin. I don't understand where my bitcoin information is, or how to buy/sell bitcoin. I did sign up on my PC, and I have a "wallet". But what are the mechanics of the buy/sell operation?

There is an ATM at a local shopping mall that sells bitcoin. It has a screen, a slot to insert currency, and what I guess is a place to put your cellphone. That's not going to reach my PC with my wallet. And their prices are about 20% over the general bitcoin quotes. And they only sell bitcoin - I'll have to look elsewhere for a place to convert bitcoin to currency.

The best prices seem to be personal trades. So I guess I find someone on Craigslist who has bitcoin to sell, and meet up with them somewhere such as a local Starbucks. Ech. Or I could pay more to a service that takes PayPal, or even more to a service that takes credit cards.

I ran into a several year old story about how someone's bank shut down their checking account for dealing in bitcoin. A bank that just happens to be my financial hub... I certainly don't need my bank cutting me off just because I buy/sell bitcoin. So it looks like I need to get currency from my bank, and trade it somehow at the local Starbucks.

So where is my account data? If my PC dies does my bitcoin value die with it? What/where is the identifying information about my wallet? What do I back up or duplicate to guard against loss? What do I have to protect against theft? Can I have the same wallet on multiple PCs/cellphones? Does every transaction require an internet connection? Could I do a transaction just between cellphones without an internet connection?

So I'm quite a ways from even worrying about the value of bitcoin. I know how to use cash and credit cards. Bitcoin is a mystery.

RCO likes this.