1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bitcoin

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Nov 29, 2017.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Our pancakes tend to wander, and perhaps it's up to thread starter to hold the leash. Guess that's me :)

Difficult to make a case that HVAC is out and deer hunting is in.

==
    BTC is still meandering in what I call a narrow range. Neither falling to 'Fall 2017' nor popping up like a browned toast. What, I wonder, might shake it loose?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I honest to God thought I was in the home improvement thread.

m.wynn likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There are two other, very nice such threads in tree huggery for your dining and dancing pleasure.

Here, 2K1T is keeping house warm by the opposite of burning money - thermodynamics, we thought we knew ye.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It's my impression that BTC is now about where electricity cost of hashing balances new creation by mining. Thus:

Mid-Dec 2017 peak was tulip bulbs.

Future BTC value will go down, as scheduled computational hardness increases go up and mining rewards go down.

2K1Toaster sees things differently.

No idea about how other cryptocurrencies will track, but perhaps there is one where mining cost (for electricity) is still lower.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my daughter was telling me that a friend was buying a house. in the process, she remembered that she was given a large number of bit coins a long time ago. when she dug the out, it made a substantial dent in the investment.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not even close for most of the world. At current difficulty levels, with old mining equipment, you're looking at a $0.19USD/KWh break even point assuming you do instant BTC to USD conversions. Mine, get paid in BTC, "cash out" to USD. Rates around here for residential are below $0.12USD/KWh and commercially they are close to $0.06USD/KWh. And miners are actually the best rate loads for utility companies. No surge currents like motors, constant reliable power sucking 24/7/365. Your peak usage equals your average usage 1:1 which is ideal for a power company.

And in China (where more than 50% the hash rate comes from) the average USD equivalent for a KWh is $0.048. Assuming today's difficulty levels for an S9 that consumes 32.8KWh daily, that's $1.57 in electricity cost in China per day. One S9 in a pool after fees, makes about 0.00082815 BTC/day. That puts the break even point disregarding internet cost, physical location cost, HVAC cost, hardware cost, etc, at $1900 USD/BTC. Again assuming a cash out model versus a HODL model.

If the price drops, people stop mining, and it becomes more "profitable" in terms of BTC mined per KWh even though it becomes less profitable in terms of USD mined per KWh.

At the $1900/BTC level, that's where you are forced to make a decision. Will BTC increase in value, and therefore mining while below fiat profitability now, prove profitable in fiat conversion later. Or will BTC decrease or maintain its value and therefore the fiat money will never make a return, and if true, are you OK with that conversion loss.

Your guess is as good as anybody else's.

Pretty much every crypto out there, this is still true even factoring in hardware.

I read an article in January maybe that put the "breakeven" cost for large scale warehouses that bought at the peak around $8k/BTC. Basically the late comers to the game paying 4x to 6x the cost for equipment, scrambling to find real estate to house them, etc. They are probably having a very bad day today and yesterday unless they have the fiat cash to hold out the storm.

I maintain my prediction. I see this current selloff as again the short-term wall-street types looking for a quick buck and again getting burned. There was "supposed to be a rally" after the crypto conference in NYC a week or whatever ago. That never materialized. My guess is, no gains, sell it and move on. Trade volumes have been relatively low the past few months.

I expect them to remain low until either the $6k/BTC mark is reached or the $10k/BTC mark is reached. Both of those will be newsworthy and back out to the general population. How can you expect BTC coverage when there's a royal wedding going on!!!!

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Crytocurrency is suddenly having a major impact on our regional electric supply. Unmentioned here is that this spills over into navigation, irrigation, endangered fish and other environmental issues too.

Seattle Times: Bitcoin backlash as ‘miners’ suck up electricity, stress power grids in Central Washington

"In a normal year, demand for electric power in Chelan County grows by perhaps 4 megawatts ... But since January 2017, as Bitcoin enthusiasts bid up the price of the currency, eager miners have requested a staggering 210 megawatts for mines they want to build in Chelan County. That’s nearly as much as the county and its 73,000 residents were already using."

"... Many would-be miners have no understanding of how large power purchases work. In one case this winter, miners from China landed their private jet at the local airport, drove a rental car to the visitor center at the Rocky Reach Dam, just north of Wenatchee, and, according to Chelan County PUD officials, politely asked to see the “dam master because we want to buy some electricity.”"

"... in Douglas County, the cyber-mining sector has expanded so rapidly that the PUD’s existing distribution system is tapped out. For example, a nearly new 84-megawatt substation with enough capacity to handle 30 to 50 years of normal population growth has already been fully subscribed."
    "All told, the three PUDs in the mid-Columbia Basin are considering miners’ requests for well over 2,000 megawatts of power — equal to roughly two-thirds of the total hydropower generated by the Basin’s five hydroelectric dams."

Read the whole article: Bitcoin backlash as ‘miners’ suck up electricity, stress power grids in Central Washington | The Seattle Times

#167 fuzzy1, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    need increasing usage rates. simple fix.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If only the utility regulation system allowed them that simplicity ...

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they can if they want (or have) to.

RCO likes this.
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I still prefer the guy that threw away the wrong hard drive. $100m+ worth on it, even now $50 million at least. Got to be kicking yourself for that one...

tochatihu likes this.
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Seems clear that Bitcoin (cryptos in general) have redefined what money is, but revision might still be beyond our vision.

14. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The current "great minds of BTC" predict a volatile up/down with continuous down momentum until about $5700USD/BTC. Then flat, then up to test $10k again.

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually that's one of my favourite time wastes in the past couple years. Everyone likes to make really pretty graphs and charts. I love watching the wall street investors make charts and the armchair investors and the truly crazy making charts. There is no consensus and to me is just more anecdotal proof that markets gonna do what they want. Not tied to anything rational these days, it is all "feelings".

RCO likes this.
  17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The down to $5700 has been met with much more resistance than anticipated. Also the Mt Gox hoard won't be sold next month as said for a while, they've postponed to next year or later.

With current prices hovering around $6K USD / BTC it is starting to price out non-HODL miners in the US. With an average electric rate of $0.12/KWh you're basically making less than a dollar a day per miner. Still not bad for free money, but if you were in it for the short term profit, that has evaporated with current miners. In China, I did the math above, it can reduce value by 70% and still be profitable. My guess is if that happens Antmain will dump all their S9's and use their S11's which are rumoured but not confirmed which makes their profitability higher and mine with those until/if the price rebounds. They are also approaching the magical 51% number (currently around 44% to 46% I believe with various estimates).

18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tum te tum te tum....

pilotgrrl likes this.
  19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Around $6.2k USD/BTC.

Dead cat bounce? Or different?

On a related note the Z9 is coming out in September. At current depressed rates, about $70-$80 USD per day profit. Probably half that within a month or two of the ASIC's appearing. I am thinking of replacing a few of my GPU setups with it. Much more efficient, about 100x efficient.

20. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Over and sustained $8k USD / BTC