1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bizarre FM Radio Problem with 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AFFriedl, Mar 8, 2021.

1. AFFriedl

AFFriedl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a bizarre FM Radio problem in my 2007 Prius. This car has:
    • 6 CD changer
    • No navigation
    • No Bluetooth Phone.
    When I turn on the audio the following modes always work:
    • AM Radio
    • In Dash CD
    • 6 CD Changer
    • Auxiliary Input
    Usually the FM Radio works but sometimes it doesn't. If I switch modes sometimes I switch back to FM and there is no sound. Sometimes when I start the car with FM mode active there is no sound. Most of the time if I switch to the 6 CD Changer and back to FM the FM audio comes back - but not always.

This has gone on since I purchased the car 5 years ago.

Anybody else encounter this behavior from their Prius?

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Nothing personal in this comment.....really there isn't.
    A really LOT of people come to forums like this and ask "Has this specific failure happened to anybody else?"
    And the answer to that.......or lack of any answers, really is meaningless.

It is highly likely that there is an internal fault in your radio (entertainment head unit) and it needs to be replaced.

3. AFFriedl

AFFriedl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair enough but consider the question in the following light:

If this problem has been experienced by others who were able to diagnose the problem as a common defect in the head unit then replacing the head unit with another head unit that may also exhibit the same problem would be a useless expenditure. If this problem exists due to the configuration of components then replacing the head unit would be a useless expenditure. I could go on.

I could just assume any number of problems with the audio system and replace them all if time and money were in cheap supply.

Which brings us to the reason why people congregate in a forum in which they share their common experiences - to give and receive information they singularly do not have.

4. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    How many days are you going to wait with no affirmative answers before you are going to assume that the answer is NO ??

I've been on here for about 6 years now and don't remember anyone relating symptoms exactly like that.

P.S. ALL of the "what if's" that you listed still could happen to YOU even if it has never happened to anyone else ever.

5. AFFriedl

AFFriedl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll probably wait a reasonable amount of time and move on like other people on here who do not find resolutions to their problems. If I end up replacing the head unit with one from another vehicle I'll return and post the results back to the forum in case someone else happens by with the same problem to solve.

6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good plan. Many people don't.