1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bizarre tire pressure adjustment by dealer!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Insight-I Owner, May 22, 2012.

1. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Took my 2011 in for its 15,000 mile free service today. Tires were at 44psi, and I definitely and clearly asked the service writer to have the pressures left at 44psi.

When I got home, I looked at the workbill. There was no notation of 44psi on it, and on the checklist the tech had scribbled "36" at all four tire positions.

So I figured, oh well, I'd just have to pump them up. Waited for the rain to stop, strung out 75' of extension cord (I live in a condo), took my electric air pump out to my car. Before adding air, I checked the pressures with my dial gauge (AccuGauge). All four tires were at 50psi!!!!! Which is fine, I'll just try them that way. But it's completely the opposite of what I expected from a dealership.

When I had the 10,000 mile service done at this same dealership, I asked them to leave the tires at 44psi and they did (I checked the tires in their parking lot afterwards).

So this is probably just a one-time mistake. But it underscores the importance of checking pressures after you get the car back from the dealer.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Getting it wrong is common, although they usually go under the pressure you want.

It's even more important that you check the oil level after dealer has worked on your car.

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also, depending on how far you drove after leaving the dealership, and how long after you got home you checked the pressure, the tires may have been hot enough to register the higher number. I have been told by a couple of service advisors and also by tire store employees that they are now required by law to check and set the pressures to the OEM recommendations. This is all due to the Ford Explorer/Firestone fiasco of a few years ago. (I'm not saying that there is such a law, just that this is the explanation I have been given.) Then I get the car back with pressures all over the map. Go figure....
    Finally, if your tires were cold and set at 50 psi, that most likely exceeds the maximum cold pressure indicated on the tire by the manufacturer, so be very careful.

4. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drove about 12 miles home (in the rain) and then the car sat for four hours until the rain stopped.

When the tires are set at a higher pressure they flex less, so they heat up less and therefore the pressure rise is less. With an underinflated tire you can get large pressure rises, not to mention overheating of the tire. Of course pressure rise also depends on the pavement temperature, how hard and how fast you drive, etc.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I always ask for the tp to be left as is. I don't care what the guy marks on the paper. If he's marking 36 to keep the boss happy & leaving the air in the tires then he's made everyone happy. I check one tire in the dealer's lot just to make sure.