1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black interior too hot?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by jejb, Mar 14, 2018.

1. jejb

jejb Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    We currently have a 2012 white Prius V 3, light tan cloth interior. We are looking to upgrade to a Prius V 5. Reason is we want to get a new one before they're all gone. We plan to put a LOT of years and miles on it. But the only one in a 4-5 hour radius with the ATP package (must have) is white exterior and black interior. Quite a color combination.

We live in the mid-south, NW Arkansas, so are concerned about the black interior being an oven all summer long. It is our one sticking point from pulling the trigger. So I'd appreciate others experience in this area.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we bought our first and last black car, grey interior. i would never buy a black interior, but they seem quite popular here.

3. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We have a black interior here in central Oklahoma and have no issues with it although it's cloth seats not leather or whatever Toyota calls it.

We do keep the car in a garage normally during the summer months.

Note I also use a sun shield for the front window when parked outside similar to this one.

Sunshade HeatShield for 2012-2016 Toyota Prius v - Front - PriusChat Shop

#3 Sooner Al, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  4. jejb

jejb Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the link, Al. We already discussed getting something like that if we get the car, so good to have a recommendation for it.

Our Prius lives in a garage when at home, and is parked in a parking structure when my wife takes it to work. So the sun issue is really only an issue for running errands.

5. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Based on that, I wouldn't worry about the interior color.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I think it depends on the situation. Although not Priuses...we have a Hyundai Sonata Limited and Elantra GT...both black exterior and black interior.

This setup definitely has pros and cons. In winter it s great...the black interior obviously absorbs more energy than other colors and can even warm up the interior while sitting in the winter sun. Works well here in MN.

On the other hand....we took a summer road trip to the Badlands in 100F plus temps and it was horrible. The A/C had a hard time keeping up!

Because of this I tried to avoid the black/black combo for our other vehicles and ended up with a red/grey 2010 Prius and white/bisque 2012 Prius v.

7. jejb

jejb Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, I'd never buy black/black. I lived in MN for 35 years, and would not even do that up there. Wife had a black Escalade up there, but it was tan interior. Black exterior is beautiful when clean, but a PITA to keep clean, as I'm sure you know.

Anyway, we picked up the new white/black Prius V 5 ATP today. Seems like a nice upgrade from our 2012 V 3, and we're both happy to have a 10-15 year vehicle, since we like our 2012 so much. Sad that they're not bringing them to the USA anymore, but I got mine! ;-)

wjtracy, bisco and farmecologist like this.
  8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a black leather interior in another car, and it's murder in the summer. (n)

9. PvPDX

PvPDX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So they actually made white with black leather!?! I looked for months, asked the dealer and never got anyone to say positively it was ever made. I finally gave up and got a Blizzard white with atp and the two tone grey interior. I love the car but would have preferred the black leather. I saw the black interior a few times with the light blue but never with white exterior. It's a rare combo.

Merkey likes this.
  10. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

I have a blizzard pearl with 'bisque' interior ( tan with black floor and accents ).

I just put in some Black Clazzio seat covers and they look great! They were a PITA to install though. However, from my experience the harder seat covers are to install..the better off you are in the long run.

Will try to post some photos soon at the link in my signature ( see below ).

PriusV17 likes this.
  11. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Nice! Yea, Clazzio was a PITA no doubt. But I enjoy my car even more and appreciate it even more. Everyone who see's it will say. "No way, that's a seat cover?". I went with light grey so interior not too hot in direct sun in the summer times. Had to wait 2 months to custom order it. Problem with light color is that it shows scuff marks easily, but the material makes it easy to clean off.

#11 PriusV17, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    farmecologist likes this.
  12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Have a set of leather katzkin KZ-DKS P#T12FA Frost T#2954843 covers for all the cloth pieces including armrests. 45k miles later and it seems as good as new. Kit was from Southeast Toyota and had a Toyota part number.

13. PvPDX

PvPDX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Merkey and farmecologist like this.
  14. jejb

jejb Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yes, it is apparently a legal combo since this one came that way. It does look nice, but we'll see how we like in July. ;)

15. PvPDX

PvPDX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What year is it?

16. jejb

jejb Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, I see I never posted that. It's a 2016.

PvPDX likes this.
  17. PvPDX

PvPDX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you buy it? Pictures or it never happened.

18. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Best solution that I found in extremely hot Anaheim California, is tinted glass. We're already seeing temperatures in the 90s, and with the tinted glass my car is comfortable; I wear shorts all the time jump in the car, no problem. You must know that I HATE heat, so saying it's comfortable is pretty strong. Have had the car parked in Lancaster, California in full sun for 5 or 6 hours, 107 degrees outside and inside the car was tolerable even with shorts on!
    If you have problems with the tint that shows, there is a more expensive tint that barely shows, which will prevent the heat build up. Of course I have the BLACK Softex upholstery in my Prime Advanced.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

Merkey likes this.
  19. jejb

jejb Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yes, as I mentioned above, we did buy it. I've been meaning to get some pictures, but need to wash it first. A trip to Louisiana last week caused bug carnage to the front of the car! Loving it so far. Very happy with the ATP.

Looks like I'll have to pull the rear air dam/spoiler off the back. The rear mud flaps won't work with that on, and neither will my Ecohitch, both of which I pulled off the 12 before trading it.

20. PvPDX

PvPDX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I trimmed the black rear trim piece to install my mud flaps..

Attached Files: