1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black must be beautiful!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lefat1, Oct 23, 2007.

1. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do the toyota folks not like black, are they not making enough or is it that they dont ship black to Florida. I cant seem to get a touring package 6 in black, and it doesnt look like there's any on the horizon. Red, blue, driftwood...no problem. Whats with black?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Oct 23 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]529358[/snapback]</div>
    It could be black isn't so popular in Florida because of the heat.

Funny but when I went to my National Board Academy class Saturday when I parked I was the fourth Prius on the street. And the third black one. The other one was a silver pine mica. And when I was waiting after class for my advisor I saw two more Prii drive by, a black and a magnetic gray.

I guess black is popular when you can get one.

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your local dealership orders vehicles they want to sell through computers.
    It is totally up to them. I guess in most "hot" states, black is not the most popular color since black vehicles
    absorb heat very quickly in summer. Try talk to the fleet manager who order vehicles in a dealership.
    He can order you one, but you will have to wait 1 month or 2. And, someone could rob it from you
    if he/she decide to pay more for it. :blink:

4. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Oct 23 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]529358[/snapback]</div>
    I waited 5.5 months for the exact Prius that I wanted--that means I asked for it in May. My guess is that there are quite a few people still waiting for their June or July requests if mine was any indication. Black IS also a specialty color because it's polarizing: We love 'em or we hate 'em. I will never own another black vehicle, but that's MY preference, nobody's else's. You immediately reduce your pool of choices to one color, one package, one location and it doesn't take too much reasoning to understand the wait. Coupled with the ability of a dealership to turn the rest of their stock, and one can start to understand the delay. It's like waiting for a specific number to come up in a bingo drawing, seemingly.

I went back and forth during the wait, myself. I called other dealerships, I waived on whether to say, "Screw it, I'm keeping my truck," I was tempted to nag the dealership. They DID come up with the exact vehicle that I'd requested, however, and kept their price as quoted, etc. I've NEVER waited so long to spend my money on a damned car in my life. But there simply was no one to blame or be angry with. Production, demand, delivery, shipping requirements, everything contributes. You'll get your car.

[​IMG]

5. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Oct 23 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]529358[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like salesperson BS again. I just did a Southeast Toyota search and they have 24 Black Prius' available at the Port for dealer delivery.

Go to Toyota.com, Prius, Build and Price and enter your zip code; then go find another dealer.

6. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Oct 23 2007, 09:02 PM) [snapback]529488[/snapback]</div>
    not touring package 6

7. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Oct 23 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]529504[/snapback]</div>
    You're right.

3 black package 6 Model 1224's, but no black package 6 Model 1226 (Touring).

Sorry.

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Oct 24 2007, 02:41 AM) [snapback]529615[/snapback]</div>
    Even in the S.F. Bay Area, when I was in the market, I had to wait for 2 months before a Black/Bisque Touring #6 was available. And even then, my dealer had to trade with the ordering dealer to get the car transferred to them.

9. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 24 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]529748[/snapback]</div>
    I would be willing to bet that AT LEAST 80% of the 2008 Prius' coming into the states are already spoken for and likely a HIGHER percentage of Touring #6. I could share all of my reasoning, but based on MY experience, there just aren't any base models sitting on the lots--let alone fully loaded ones. They're all spoken for.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skguh @ Oct 24 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]529781[/snapback]</div>
    I tend to doubt the 80% for non-Touring editions being spoken for. Maybe more like 60% already have a home before they show up at the dealership. When I was in the market for my Touring edition (February/March, 2007) there were 10 non-Touring edition cars available for sale at the dealer that I was working with on the Touring edition. The cars had differing mixes of options, but cars were available. Touring editions were another matter. As I mentioned, my dealer had to trade cars (they had a Magnetic Gray #6 on the same boat that they swapped for the Black/Bisque #6) to get the one that I wanted.

11. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skguh @ Oct 24 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]529781[/snapback]</div>
    i dont think its 80%...every dealer in this area has at least 2 or 3 sitting on lot, several more arriving within the next few weeks...some touring package 6 available, just not black...patiently waiting

12. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Oct 24 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]529793[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'll stick with my logic, and you're entitled to yours, too. The entire US is a fairly large place... The dealerships I've checked with can't get 'em on the shelves--let alone keep 'em. Except for the Driftwood Pearl, that is.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skguh @ Oct 24 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]529797[/snapback]</div>
    Availability varies by region as well. As you have commented Driftwood Pearl seems to be a color that doesn't move in your area. In the S.F. Bay Area, Silver seems to be a color that is in abundance on dealer lots.

14. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wanted blue, settled for white. What's the big deal with color? When you're driving, you can't tell what color is. :)

15. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmm... Maybe silver looks too much like a Coors Light on wheels?
    ~LMAO~ JOKE!!!!
    I had a black vehicle once and it only looked good in the shade. White seems to be the easiest to keep clean, with seems counter-intuitive but it works for me. Colors are associative, too. Gold and silver seem to be kind of '90-ish, or so it would seem. Given our trend-addicted sociative behaviors, I'd say they matter to someone.... The black one matters to the poster, 'lefat1" in Florida for some reason--so much so that they're willing to wait for months on the specific one.

Anyhow, I think Toyota is walking a fine line between Hybrid vehicles and ICE ones, and being able to manage demand AND production seems to be working well so far. My guess is there'll be another spike in demand as crude prices go back up.

16. GatorJoe

GatorJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skguh @ Oct 24 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]529839[/snapback]</div>

i got mine:

[​IMG]

17. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The black one matters to the poster, 'lefat1" in Florida for some reason--so much so that they're willing to wait for months on the specific one.

hey, who you callin fat1..lol..i just want black this time

18. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could probably find one at one of the many metro Atlanta dealers. Just fly in and pick it up. Call my guy Hoa Pham at Sandy Springs Toyoto - very professional. Tell him I sent you.

I love my black Prius so much, that I was washing it in the Rain yesterday with collected rain water. I did allow myself 2 buckets of fresh clean water for the final rinse. We are in a total watering ban. I had not washed my car in over a month and could not stand it.

Black is Beautiful, but it like a white Prius, must be clean.

19. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ Oct 24 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]529899[/snapback]</div>
    SET has all the car allotment for , ga, sc, nc, fl, al..none available in this allotment

20. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skguh @ Oct 24 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]529839[/snapback]</div>
    When have crude prices been down?