1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black out between Hatch glass and Solar Sunroof

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Scaurex, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Scaurex

Scaurex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had some shiny black vinyl that is used in the "full body wrap" cars applied to the area between the tinted hatch glass and the solar sunroof to give a full black roof effect. Anyone else done this?
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

James Powers likes this.
  2. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    looks good

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

Looks good. Wish I had a solar roof on my GenII :(

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Very nice look

5. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks good. How much did that cost? I would of done it but I have a shark fin now and I would have to wrap that too.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks good. I would have done the same thing. European Prius with solar roof are like that.

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that is the way to go. I have a 2010 MBZ E550 with the black pano-roof and the car is arctic white and it looks sweet with the roof all black. When I bought that car I decided that my next prius will have to have the solar roof and the techno-package and that I would have that small panel done in black at the same time I had the Hybrid and Prius emblems removed from the hatch. I am hoping that Toyota will at some point offer the techno-package and the solar package together. I can hope right? So thumbs up on the vinyl added to the small roof panel. It looks terrific.

8. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depending on the cost, difficulty, and car color, it's a winner. At worst, no one will notice. I have a Blue Ribbon and, although I wouldn't do it, for virtually every other color (except black, of course), if it's not too hard or expensive, it would be worth it. It looks particularly nice on a white car.

In fact, it's the sort of low-cost change I can see Toyota making for, say, the 2012 Prius just to differentiate it from 2010-2011 cars.

9. Scaurex

Scaurex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I know the owner of the shop and i helped in the application, so the price was right! Took a little more than 30min to apply. He made a pattern of the antenna base and the rear window washer sprayer, so the vinyl was pre-cut. The Grey trim strips are removable and the edges of the vinyl are hidden under them.
    It was applied to the car wet (like you would do window tinting) and everything was lined up, squeegeed the water out and tucked the edges. Parked the car in the sun and let it dry further and did a few final tucks, that was it. It has a slightly less level of difficulty for the do-it-yourself owner as applying window tint.
    We did both of our white Prius' and both gave different experiences in application. The biggest hurdle on the first one was the rubber gasket under the solar sunroof. On the second one we figured out the rubber gasket could be tucked down for application of the vinyl and then pulled back up to cover the seam after the vinyl is applied.
    The hatch seam slides under the glass as well to give a very clean look.
    The vinyl is not as shiny as the spoiler, but for shop applied vinyl this is as good as it gets.

10. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if I have color choice remorse, it's that I got a black prius instead of a white on for precisely this reason....that looks so good. Well done

11. Scaurex

Scaurex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is parked beside another Prius waiting to get the panels blacked out. I only have 15% tint on my back windows, so it would look even better if you had darker windows.

Attached Files:

12. Nuckz23

Nuckz23 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks good. I am going to be placing vinyl on my whole roof to give it that same look. I don't have a white Prius, mine is silver so it may not look as good.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please remember you asked "What do you think?"
    Plus as always I'd say, whatever YOU like is the most important factor. If you like it? Great.

But I don't like it.

To me my initial impression is A: Skunkmobile or B: Mohawk

But most people seem to like it, or at least have the wisdom to not comment.

14. Scaurex

Scaurex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Wow, it's amazing how many designers think people will like skunks and mohawks...

I guess in your opinion, all these luxury and automotive designers are going down the wrong path.

To each his own, this is why cars come in different colors, not everyone likes the same thing. You are always entitled to your own opinion, it keeps things interesting!

Attached Files:

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry...the luxury designers are wrong...to me...

I knew I shouldn't of commented.

Especially with a vehicle with as sloping a roof as The Prius and with an alternate of a color as as white, I just think it makes the vehicle look too "Striped" down the middle. But yeah, there actually is no right or wrong. It's evidently right for you, and wrong for me.

People say, "What do you think?" but what they really want is just support my decision.

karabits likes this.
  16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe Scion tC started this trend.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice! Again, it looks sharp on a Blizzard Pearl. It's easier on sedans since they can replace the entire roof with glass and it'll blend into the windshield and rear window. On hatches, you'll have to do some creative work as you can see on the tC. The difference is that there's no wiper/washer on the tC since it's classified as a coupe (even though it's a hatchback). With the Prius, you need the washer somewhere and if it's all glass, then you can't have one.

18. Mr. D

Mr. D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1 Word........AWESOME......

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They come like that from the factory? Didn't know that. I wonder why they don't do it for us.

20. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Looks great.

I wonder what difference in looks/cost might be if that section was painted metallic/shiny black? Might be simpler and cheaper? But you have the right idea. Well done.