1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black Plastic bumper scratch 2018 model

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by tangerinesplash, Apr 27, 2019.

1. tangerinesplash

tangerinesplash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Someone parked behind my 2018 Prius C and hit it while parking too close to me. Now there is this light scratch on the black matte plastic bumper. There is no metallic paint on this part of the car like the previous Prius C models. I tried to wipe off as much as I could. How do I get the scratch out? Someone suggested waxing it. I attached a generic image of the bumper.

Please help. I appreciate it! Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is no way to blend touch up paint in without painting the entire bumper.

Wax will not help. You do not want to polish a matte finish.

I'd use a black restoring coating like Maguir's or Armor ALL.

Montgomery likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you post a pic of the scratch?

Montgomery likes this.
  4. tangerinesplash

tangerinesplash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, here is the scratch. It kind of looks like white chalk on the plastic bumper. Thanks for the recommendation. 20190427_175010.jpg 20190427_175015.jpg

bisco likes this.
  5. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I would not recommend Armorall, especially for outside surfaces. First, it's glossy - for about a day - and then it dries and leaves the surface blotchy. And if applied to rubber parts, e.g. in the engine compartment, it dries out the rubber and leaches out the natural oils that keep it supple. It's just not a good product IMO.

My recommendation would be to first thoroughly clean the surface with a non-scratch dish washing pad (or towel) and soap. Rinse well and let it dry. Examine the surface with a magnifying glass to see if the "chalk" was from the other car (and hopefully it came off), or if it's the hair-like structures that are the result of scuffing.

Then call your local detailing supplies place and see if they have Autoglym Rubber Cleaner or a similar product. This stuff is an oily substance and it leaves a deep, lustrous, matte finish on rubber and black plastic parts, and it lasts through several car washes. It also does a superb job on tires BTW. Apply it with a soaked sponge, wipe with a terry cloth towel and let dry.

20190428_110407.jpg

If it's scuffing, and you want to go one step further, some people have had good luck with applying a short blast of hot air from a heat gun, but honestly, I can't recommend that method to a non-professional. I think there are a couple of YouTube videos on it, if you want to investigate.

Montgomery likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd say do nothing for a year, see how you feel about it then. I'd wager if you're 5 feet away it's invisible?

Don't get me started about "bumpers", I'll be ranting for hours, lol.

ztanos, ILuvMyPriusToo and bisco like this.