1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black Prius in Texas Heat

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Dlbarfield, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Dlbarfield

Dlbarfield New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, been looking through the forum for the past week but haven't quite found what i was looking for. Looking at a 2015 Black Prius 2 with 41,000 miles on it for about $14400. Everything about the car looks great but i'm concerned about the HV battery.

Has anyone had concerns about a black Prius in summer heat? From the research Ive done, a black car can reach higher internal temperatures (130F +) and can take longer to cool down.

When those summer months come, my work parking is in direct sunlight. I've looked into Ceramic tinting and a window cover but I still feel hesitant about the longevity of the battery when exposed to these conditions.

Any input or direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Daniel

Burna J likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    all prius suffer in the southern heat. but i'm not sure how much worse black is. we probably don't have any stats, and i've never read of anyone saying they won't own one in the south.

personally, i wouldn't buy another black car just because it seems hotter in the cabin on sunny days. but if i were you, and you like black, i would go for it. if you are going to keep the car a long time, you'll have to plan on a battery anyway.
    the good news is, the prices keep coming down.

3. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I loved black cars when I lived in the mild climate in southern California. Now that I live in the desert, I have to avoid dark colors for the sake of comfort.

IMO, the best way to protect yourself is to buy a Prius with low enough miles to keep the warranty active until the 8 year/100k mile warranty on the hybrid battery is over. Then, shortly before your warranty is over (in late '22 or sometime in '23) you can evaluate your options- keep it, trade it for a newer Prius, or get a different car.

OTOH, if the car has a salvage title, then the hybrid warranty is invalidated.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hot is hot here in Texas so it's not really gonna' matter what color the car is.

I've seen no data if the solar roof option is better for the HV battery but I can tell you it does work for keeping the interior much cooler; especially if used with traditional methods (window tint and windshield shade). Basically it uses a large solar panel on the roof to power the dash fan to pull outside air in through the car while it sits in the sun. Basically keeps it at ambient temps which is a lot better than 130f +.

It was an expensive option so they are pretty rare but worth seeking out here in the south. IMO

GOOD LUCK!

5. Dlbarfield

Dlbarfield New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ended up buying the 2015 and I am absolutely loving it! Thank you all for your input! I plan to get window tinting / windshield shades and monitor the temperature as we get closer to august, and i'll share my findings.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  6. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Speaking from experience, a higher quality window tint will go a long way to reducing the internal heat. Don't skimp on the material.

Dlbarfield and Skibob like this.
  7. Greenteapri

Greenteapri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Black is the best Prius color .Yes, I'm biased.

My data is conclusive yet conditional. I have the solar package with the heat blocking tint. I never get the heat blast as the door swings open, even when it's 111°f outside. :cool::cool::cool:

20190128_134414.jpg