1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black soot inside exhaust tip. Should I worry?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hydride, Dec 31, 2014.

1. hydride

hydride Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone. Happy New Year!

My sisters 03 Prius has zero black soot inside her exhaust; the 04 Civic has a little but nothing compared to my 04 Prius.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but it'll be great if someone could shed some light on the reasons to this.

Thank you!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Engine burning oil
    2. Air/fuel mixture is too rich

What is the odometer reading on your car? Any warning lights on? What is your car's average mpg?

hydride likes this.
  3. hydride

hydride Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Odometer has: 185k miles

The maintenance light is also on but I haven't thought about changing oil until 10k miles.

Average is 90 miles for the first bar and around 20 for the rest.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don’t think you should be worried about. As long as you don’t have any warning lights on. Or if they have been on.

Does your Prius use oil? How much? Do you drive a lot of short trips or longer ones? How long have you had it (what short of driving did previous owner do)? Does it have any problems. Or did it have? All of those thing will effect dirt accumulation on the inside of exhaust.

hydride likes this.
  5. hydride

hydride Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) What do you mean oil? Engine oil? Yes.
    2) 3-4 quarts
    3) short trips mostly and longer ones once or twice a month
    4) I've had this car for 2 years. Don't know about previous owners driving records.
    5) the only problems ever occurred since Ive had it was the HV battery (purchased a new one already) and the inverter water pump which was also fixed.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The question about the Prius using oil refers to how much engine oil is consumed, between oil changes.

Driving mostly short trips is not helpful as the engine doesn't have a chance to warm up, hence it is less efficient.

I suggest that you keep an eye on the engine oil level per the dipstick, check the oil level at least every other time you refuel. Make sure you don't allow the engine oil level to drop below the lower dimple.

If you do then you'll be starting a new post about how to replace your car's engine.

KK6PD and hydride like this.
  7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    IF the only unusual thing you notice is the soot on the tailpipe, then the answer is a resounding NO, don't worry about that.

Next time you are in a big parking lot, notice that most all the cars there have the same thing........if they look like they have a few miles on them.

hydride likes this.
  8. mehanson

mehanson ElectroMechanical engineer

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have two prius cars a 2001 with 145000 miles and 2015 with 4000 miles. The exhaust pipe on my 2001 Prius has had absolutely no soot the entire time I've owned it, but the 2015 model already as some soot in the pipe. I know the 2001, a prototype, had a design goal of minimal pollution and has an exhaust system that captures VOCs particularly during warm-up. I haven't checked other Gen 1 Prius exhaust pipes, but perhaps I will. My car has had regular oil changes and other maintenance to the drivetrain.

9. Emmanuel Isaac

Emmanuel Isaac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Guys,

I have an '06 Prius with 154k miles on it. Until recently I have been impressed by how clean the exhaust tail pipe has been on a car with this mileage. Three weeks ago I moved from Texas to northern San Francisco and have been driving a lot less now. My commute to work is about 4 miles one way. I drive about 60-100 miles on the weekends though. Yesterday I noticed a lot of black deposits at the last couple of inches inside the tailpipe and a little bit on the outside as well.

Any suggestions to reduce the carbon buildup on such short commutes and what I could do to keep it clean and prevent permanent damage to the catalytic converter?

#9 Emmanuel Isaac, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018