1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black Stiffening Plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mrbigh, Jan 21, 2008.

1. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    is this done after the plate is machined? or can it be done before purchase? anyhow you can easily just got buy paint that can help with the corrosion i'm sure... and for the price... what's the rate of corrosion.. if it take 7years to corrode and i only use it for 4 years... then i dont' really care

2. Bobbyb

Bobbyb bobbyb

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have one on the way.It was put into usps 1/31 from CA.I should see it in 7-10 days .I paid $50.00 all in .For that price if the product is beat i will be able to handle it . Actually i asked a few questions and replies were
    fast and accurate .Very fast with tracking number as well .I was going to have a friend with a shop make one but when i saw this i wanted to give it a try.
    So i have the car 3 weeks and a set of wet okole's are coming, a wheel skin ,i have a scan gauge 2 and a val 1 from my other car. I really like
    this car as it is a big switch for me .
    Also very glad to see a fourm like this as well.Plan to get active in the Long Island area .

3. bayareakirk

bayareakirk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting, the add (linked elsewhere in this thread) was pulled after only 1 "declined" offer to purchase. Something is fishy.

4. Clubford00

Clubford00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can you say, "lawsuit?"

5. Bobbyb

Bobbyb bobbyb

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got the plate today and removal of oem and install of plate took about 15 mins with just one side of the car up .It is not the exact same as the bt plate but serves the same purpose .The fit is real good and I used some blue lock tight as well to secure .There is a difference on turns rutts and rough road,an improvement .Feels like the car is taking it better .Nothing like the x brace in my old s2000 but you can tell it is there doing its job .Well worth the $50.My buddy with the shop wants to
    take some weight off it by drilling out some holes.So i may bring it to him
    after a few weeks to drop the weight .We'll see.

6. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This sounds superfluous. How much weight could you possibly loose? A few grams?

7. Bobbyb

Bobbyb bobbyb

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I never held the BT plate in my hand but i did have both the oem and ebay plate and there was a good difference in weight .How much 3 or for pounds .This is where the BT plate may come in better at a lower weight .You also got to know my friend he has done some very creative
    and functional mods to many s2000's and mx-5's.I doubt I'll do it .
    Last night i was in the city Soho with some cobble stone streets and this
    was a great test and the results were very good .So for the $50 i spent
    i don't think the BT at there price can match the bang for the buck .
    Again i have to point out from the pics i have seen of the BT and the ebay one ,they are very different .

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't look different in the pictures

9. Bobbyb

Bobbyb bobbyb

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The BT product has rounded corners and in the middle the cutouts has x's in it ,the ebay one does not.The cutouts are 2 long rows witn no x's.
    I did not see the holes for the 4 screws but i think as the position is the same the type of cut may be different from each other as well.I'm sure the profromance of both products are very close .;)

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's b/c they used BT's pictures.

11. Bobbyb

Bobbyb bobbyb

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Then the plate i have must be from another seller as their Pics are of a silver plate with rounded corners and different center cutouts.Still works
    very well for the $50 spent.

12. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup, just installed mine (not black -- natural aluminum color). Improved most on controlling bumps that affect one side. We'll see about sidewinds in a couple of months, when Bay Area "windy season" starts in the spring. Upgrading the tires had a greater overall effect on handling; this is more of a "carved from a single piece of metal" feel.

$50 well spent.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well you are talking about a completely different plate, the one the OP posted a link to is
    [​IMG]

Which as you can see is BLACK as in the title of the thread and has been milled with 2 crosses in relief on the bottom. Hard to be impressed with a knock off. Can you ask the seller for stress specs on his plate and post them here please? Any testing or even computer analysis will be good.