1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blackberry Bluetooth trouble

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by drewquant, Sep 29, 2009.

1. drewquant

drewquant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just had a second dealer tell me nothing is wrong with my bluetooth in my Package 4 with Nav. The microphone volume is way to low and people can barely hear me. I found on youtube the hidden screen mic volume setting and raised that to 5 and before that it sounded like I was locked in the trunk and now it sounds like im in the back seat facing away from the mic. Dealer says they are having some trouble in Blackberries.. Any ideas? I am thinking of going to a stereo shop and having them solder in a better mic in place of the stock one.

2. dfran1

dfran1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I hate to bust your bubble (or anyone else) but Blackberry phone's due suck, I own one now and hope by next year have a data phone that I can actually use properly as a data phone (never ever a blackberry again, Blackberry can not get any of their phone's to work properly as a data phone, I spent many hours with them on the phone trying)! Sorry about the rant, but I really hate this phone that I am locked into!

If you have any beta software (or should we say firmware) on it reload to a official version (or older version). This has worked for me in transferring my contacts.
    Now this may work for your audio problem, but I also have Bluetooth speakers that this Blackberry sounds like garbage on, and my iTouch sounds great on them. It could be just your phone, where the Bluetooth components are just not up to spec (Blackberry has major component quality control issues that people are just not aware of).

Try a different phone (not a Blackberry) with the car (a friends, etc..) and see if the problem stays with the car or goes away. My 2 2010 Prius's sound great with phones LG enV touch (good phone) and a Blackberry Storm (I do not recommend this phone to my worst enemy, or any blackberry).
    -If it does work properly with the other phone than it is your phone.
    -If it does the same with your friends phone (not a Blackberry), then it is your car most likely, but did the dealer try a different phone and results?

I hope something in this helps.
    Good luck
    Don

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have the Blackberry Tour and no one has ever complained about me sounding bad... If the passenger talks it doesn't sound good they say, but that's about it.

Do you have your air vents in the middle pointing upwards perhaps and they are blowing slightly/heavily into the mic? I had a few people point out I sounded bad but when I then remembered I had to move the vents down they said it was fine now, no problems and I sounded good.

4. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do know that eating blackberries will give you blue tooth radiance!

5. midimal

midimal New Member

Model:
    IV

I can hight recommend Samsung's Omnia celular! It worked perfect over BT. Very good speach quality using bluetooth while my 2 hours testride

Ciao

6. Hfxbouy

Hfxbouy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the BB Flip with Tmobil and talk for hours on the road. No one ever complains about hearing me. I often get in and out of car to run a quick errand and although the phone switches to hand set and back to car easily with out dropping there is a few seconds where you cant hear or be heard. Again call does not drop so you just need to plan ahead or ask for a second.

7. dartfrogger

dartfrogger New Member

Model:
    IV
    I also have the Tour but it does not work with my 2010 bluetooth. It worked for a couple of days and then stopped (the bluetooth screen says call in progress constantly, even though I'm not calling). The Toyota dealer says this is a known problem to them and the phone is not compatible.

Does your Tour still work? Is there any hope for me? I just got the phone a month ago, and I got the car last week. I don't want to change either.

8. hybridjoe

hybridjoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    People have trouble hearing me using my new Blackberry Tour via bluetooth. Is that a common problem? Do other Blackberries work better?

9. dfran1

dfran1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is part of their component quality issue!!!!!!!
    One can have 100 blackberry devices (same model) and many will behave differently!!!!!! This alone means they SUCK!!!!!

They used to be good years ago (maybe), but today they SUCK!!!!!!!!

The Tour has a 50% or more return (that the phone companies are trying to hide, I found an article on it somewhere) (the Storm is most likely a lot higher, verizon is good at hiding this info).

If one has a blackberry that works today, good luck!!!!!

Best advice anyone could give someone with a blackberry is
    1. Return it for some other brand
    2. Get some other brand as soon as your contract ends with it.
    3. Never buy another (or a first one) Blackberry anything unless it is edible.

Sorry about the rant again but almost a year into this phone and I hate it!!!!!!!!! I do not even touch my iTouch anymore, because every time I do use the iTouch I hate my Storm (Blackberry) even more!!!!!!!!!!

best of luck
    Don

10. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

11. dfran1

dfran1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, but What I am trying to say in that confusion is if you have a blackberry:

1. Try a different version of firmware (software) with your phone (older or a beta version, etc..) because: I have read people with 2 of the same phones (wife or friend has one) and both performed differently with the same firmware, one phone performed better with beta firmware (software) and the other phone performed better with maybe official firmware (software).

2. Take your phone into your cell phone carrier and tell them your problem and tell them others with the same phone (assuming you read someone, at least one, on here does not have the same problem), that their phone works great and yours does not with that particular problem (or problems)! They should transfer all your stuff to a reconditioned phone, you may have to do this a few times to get one that performs the way you need it!

3. After several times doing #2 (assuming your cell phone company has some other phone brand better than yours) call your phone companies customer service and have them look up your returns and problems and maybe they will put you into another phone (hopefully your choice brand and phone) for free.

4. You can go here and try searching or asking for help
    these people are very friendly and helpful.
    Blackberry Devices -
    or
    go here (some are not so friendly)
    BlackBerry Device Help and Discussion Forums - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

(There are others also)

I hope this helps someone.
    Good luck
    Don

12. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My third BB with my 2006 Prius. Talk upwards into the mic.

Has nothing to do with the Phone, the car itself is the hands free. When on handsfree, you can increase the speaker volume for the incoming voice.

Just get a friend with any other Bluetooth phone, pair it and try it. See if the problem follows the phone, or the car.

1 person likes this.
  13. Smoke-N-Shot

Smoke-N-Shot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 from Verizion and so far it has worked out fine for all that I need it to do... I just wish that I could access my contact list while driving and just press the send button to talk instead of going through all the different commands to make a call... VERY frustrating indeed... :pout:

14. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a blackberry curve from at&t and seems to be no problems either. my wife did say she can tell i am not using the phone directly because there is a slight hollow sound to my voice, but other than that I love it.

2 people like this.
  15. TeacherMan

TeacherMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Both my wife and I use Blackberry 8900g's and they work just fine. I just leave my BB in my holster and people hear me just fine. The only thing I've noticed is that on my 2010 there is a slight delay (2 seconds or so) before people can hear me talk. That issue does not occur on the 2008.

Tom

16. mattjannusch

mattjannusch Owner since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just got my 2010 Prius last night, paired up my BlackBerry 8820 and it works great and sounds just fine. Works and sounds exactly the same as my wife's iPhone 3G over the bluetooth.

1 person likes this.
  17. dartfrogger

dartfrogger New Member

Model:
    IV

18. Complex

Complex New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The problem is the Tour's Bluetooth! I have been playing with this for months. I think it’s the Tour and not the Prius. I have a 2010 Prius IV and a 2006 Sienna I mainly worked with the Prius but it tried it on the Sienna and it was muted as well. It paired fine. I hear the callers’ fine but no one can hear me. If I smooch up to the mic, imbedded in the overhead console above the rear view mirror, and scream, they can hear me fine. I don't recommend that option as it is unsafe and u will appear to be a moron. I paired my wife’s LG and it works fine. I tried all Prius adjustments, none worked. ITS THE TOUR. It’s BLUETOOTH SUCKS! They need to fix this.

19. bpollard

bpollard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My girlfriend used to have a Motorola RAZR (Verizon) and the bluetooth worked great (2010 IV with NAV). Then she switched to a AT&T Blackberry 8330 (Curve) and the bluetooth quality went WAY, WAY down (as if she is talking from the trunk - as someone so aptly described earlier).

This weekend I will be doing some testing and having her compare the call quality on her phone with my blackberry Bold (now I realize taht my bold as A2DP - so it won't be an exact match) but she should hear how bad she sounds....

I would like to try and change the software on her phone but her company has that locked down and I can't do it. So I'm not sure what to do...

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ** Bumped to Audio and Electronics forum **

My 8900 Curve does come off a bit quiet, even after I did the BT Volume fix (that's my video on YouTube). I'm not sure if other phones are equally quiet. If there was a hidden setting in the phone to try, I'd be looking for it.