1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blackberry Bluetooth Troubleshooting Help Needed - Car Says a Call is in Progress w/o Me Dialing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by allengoldberg, Aug 31, 2009.

1. allengoldberg

allengoldberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2010 Prius III and am having difficulty with the Bluetooth connection with my phone. I had no problem with the phone connecting with the car.

But, about 2 weeks after I started using the car and the phone something strange happened. One day I got into the car and the phone appeared to have connected and started a call on its own.

I have a new BlackBerry 8830 phone. Every time I enter the car the screen on the Prius says that I am talking. I cannot use the audio on the car stereo because a call is in progress. I don't see anything on the handset that would show a call being made or me being connected to anyone.

When I disconnect and then try to make a call - the phone/Bluetooth doesn't work. The screen on the dashboard says, Check the Phone.

Anyone else experiencing this or know how to fix? I have removed the Bluetooth connection and reconnected a few times, but the problem persists.

Thanks for taking a look and for any help that you can offer.

2. happycow

happycow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, I've just tried pairing my 06 Prius with my new Blackberry Tour and am getting the same exact problem.

Once the connection is made, audio ends and I get the phone screen on the display--just as though I'm making a call. But the phone isn't making a call. If I press "transfer call", I get the audio back and everything works normally. That is, I can make calls and end them and the audio swaps back and forth (haven't tried receiving a call). But the entire time the devices are paired, the Prius shows that it is making a call.

This is the third BB I've paired and the first to have this problem.

I'm doubtful that it's the OS, or encryption or any other the other suggestions I've come across.

Sorry I can't help... but misery loves company.

3. joeyroberts

joeyroberts New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having this problem with my Blackberry 8830 as well. Just picked up the Prius used a couple weeks ago. First time I paired it was fine, but started this behavior after starting the car a couple of times. Deleting devices on both sides and repairing ends up the same. I can hit hang up and things generally work, though sometimes I can't get an incoming or outgoing call to work after making a few, and have to break and re-establish the bluetooth connection (again hanging up at first) to get things working again.

What also seems interesting is that we have a Garmin 765t in the other car, and even though this was working perfectly before we had the prius, it now has basically the same problem. When it powers up it thinks there is a call in progress and I have to hang it up. I don't know if this means it is likely the phone that broke in some sense?

4. dartfrogger

dartfrogger New Member

Model:
    IV
    Let me add my plaintive voice to this discussion. I also have this problem with my BlackBerry Tour (Verizon). If there is anybody out there who has successfully set up their Tour with the 2010 Bluetooth, please, please let us know how you did it. I had no luck asking the dealer or Toyota. Surely this popular phone should work with our Priuses.

5. joeyroberts

joeyroberts New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update for me. I didn't get around to repairing my phone with either device (garmin 765t or 2006 prius) but bluetooth is now working again normally with both.

I can usually only make about 2-3 calls in the prius before the bluetooth stops working correctly, and breaks in the sense that it isn't clear where sound is going anymore... both sides think a call is in progress, but no audio anywhere, and trying to send the audio to the other side doesn't change anything. I don't like that behavior, but it isn't as big a deal to me.

Since this happened for me on two totally different devices (gen2 prius and garmin) and other people in Gen3 Prius it seems like this must be more of a bluetooth than a prius problem. Seems worth checking out some completely different types of message boards, but I'm so far having trouble finding just the right search terms for google.

6. TDough

TDough Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am having the exact same problem. Are you all essentially suggesting you've given up on this? That seems awful. I (used to) feel the BT connection was one of the greatest features on the car! Please tell me someone has found a solution to this! Thanks

7. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't offer first hand info, but on the Club Lexus forum (IS 350) a poster was having the same problem, as were others. He removed the last app he downloaded, and the problem went away. Could be a "call home" on some app. ??

8. fhearl

fhearl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Same exact problem I'm having too with my Blackberry Storm 2. It may have been a fluke or coincidence, but my problems connecting seemed to start when I was trying to call home at the same time home was trying to call me. The calls answering and dialing seemed to get crossed-up and after that - same issue.
    1) when I start the car, I can't use audio because it says "call in progress"
    2) when I try to dial someone, it says "Check your Phone"
    3) sometimes when connecting, the screen starts up with the clock ticking for a call in progress, but the phone is not connected to anyone.
    Help would be appreciated.

One other thing, on my former 2005 Prius, the Bluetooth connection used to say "Handsfree" but this says "Multimedia Audio." Has anyone had success with double-adding the phone as was suggested by another poster? How is that done? Any other solutions?

9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I didn't have issues with the BB Storm 1 but hated it so much that I bought a Curve off eBay. Neither had issues with the BT in the Gen III Prius, but I guess that doesn't help you guys much :). Maybe there's some "check box" that needs to be unchecked or checked in the BT settings on the phone? I recall there being several options on the BB BT settings that can be changed. Has anyone tried fiddling with those yet?

10. fhearl

fhearl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, so the problem resolved (for now) Here's what happened. I deleted an App I didn't want anymore, and the BB had to "reboot" to remove the app. When it finished, the next time I was in my Prius, the BB connection worked flawlessly and hasn't malfunctioned in 3 days. I read somewhere else that someone removed the last app they loaded and the BB worked again, but I didn't want to start experimenting with removing apps I liked. If you are having the problem, try loading a "free app" that you don't really want, then unload it, so that it does the cold boot, and see if that fixes your problem with connection to your Prius.

11. P3III

P3III Gen 1 and Gen 3 owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't believe this is a Prius problem. It seems to be a BB problem.

My BB 9630 worked flawlessly for 4 months and it suddenly stopped. I kept getting the another call in progress message. I could press the end call button on steering wheel to disconnect the phantom call, but the problem would crop up every time I got into the car.

I tried deleting the BB from the Prius, shutting the car off, starting the car again and adding the BB again, but the problem remained. I finally removed the battery from the BB and the problem was resolved. Hope this helps.:)

12. vciavarelli

vciavarelli New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I too have had the same issues as many have already stated. My BB Tour would connect via Bluetooth and the radio would go silent and the system would think a call was in progress.

What I have found - and consequently seems to have resolved the problem - was to reset the BB device. Some have already done this by removing an app and having the device perform a "soft reset" or reboot as some call it. Others have removed the battery and the phone resets that way. Removing an app may or may not be necessary, however, rebooting the device is what I have found to resolve the problem.

I tried this out with two other co-workers who also carry the BB tour. I deleted my phone and used theirs to connect with the Prius. Their phone had the same exact problems until I reset them and worked perfectly after they were rebooted.

I do not know why the problem exists in the first place or if this will solve everyone's problems, it did fix mine though and now I'm a happy camper.

13. P3III

P3III Gen 1 and Gen 3 owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A friend of mine is having the same problem with her BB in a BMW. It is the BB and not the car. Reboot the BB by removing the battery and the problem goes away.:)

14. empcesar

empcesar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So what is rebooting the BB doesn't solve the problem? Anyone else out there find anything that fixes the problem?

15. HolePro

HolePro New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just encountered this problem last Friday after successfully using my Bluetooth in my 2007 Prius for over 3 years - - and my Blackberry Storm for over a year.

What caused the problem to occur, was trying to hang up on a call that I was on in the Prius, to take another call. The phone got into 'call waiting' appearing.

I tried all the things people had tried earlier in this thread, eg, deleted the bluetooth device out of the phone, out of the prius.. tried to readd.. and continued to always get 'call in progress' when it would connect, and I couldn't dial out.

I just disconnected the battery in the Blackberry, rebooted (I haven't downloaded any apps recently).. and this FIXED my problem.

Thanks to person who sugg'd 'rebooting' blackberry as it worked for me.

16. Capt Dave

Capt Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My wife has a regular phone (LG) that she has bluetoothed to her new 2010 Prius V. After a few weeks, it started a very similar problem. It seems to connect just fine, but when she tries to make a call, it says that there is a call in progress or call waiting. It will not hang up. She has to pull her phone from her purse and manually dial. She then puts the phone back in her purse and uses the bluetooth. Not sure what happens when she hangs up the call (whether the problem is corrected or still the same. Will have to check next time.

17. Capt Dave

Capt Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just realized that she also has her work Blackberry in her purse (but it is not bluetoothed to the car). Not sure if this is somehow affecting it or not. We might try traveling with just her phone and not the Blackberry and see if she still experiences the same issue.

18. Capt Dave

Capt Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just figured out what is going on with my wife's bluetooth connection using her LG phone. The problem did not seem to be occurring with my identical phone, so comparing the 2, I discovered that the "missed call" notification on her phone was on and it was not on on my phone. I cleared the "missed call" notification and her bluetooth connection works fine now. She has to just make sure that she clears these notifications in the future (or we need to figure out how to disable it).

So for all of you Blackberry users who are having similar problems, I suggest you check your "missed call" notification.

19. celarbo

celarbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Deleting an app so the BB would reboot worked for me, so thanks! There might be a way to reboot the BB without removing an app first. That's what I'm going to try the next time this happens.

20. Terry Runyan

Terry Runyan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No app on my phone and I'm still getting the message "The call can not be completed. Phone is in use" whenever I try to make a call. Anyone have a suggestion for this?