1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blackstone Labs 5k Analysis - Redline 0W20

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jteran5, Mar 29, 2022.

1. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Just wanted to share this UOA as I saw someone post theirs and it would be maybe a good reference point for ppl.

Background : 2019 Prius AWD - location: Northeast United States (NY/NJ area)

I've owned the car since new and have always done 5k oil changes. I end up changing the oil every 3 or 4 months with the amount of driving I do - about 100 miles a day, 5 or 6 days a week. About 85% highway driving.

I've been using TGMO 0W16 up until the 35k mark where I then changed to Redline 0w20. I don't care much about having a longer lasting oil but more towards one that has good protection with lots of additives. I decided to do an oil analysis to ensure that the oil was still good and the additives have been lasting as well as ensuring that there is nothing abnormal in the engine as I approach the 50k mark.

This sample was taken at the 45k mark with 5k usage during the winter months here. I plan to do another test when I hit the 50k mark. Screenshot_20220329_155420.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Bbonez and chinna like this.
  2. ken2116

ken2116 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Nothing to worry about, with viscosity in range and TBN the oil doesn't appear anywhere close to being exhausted.
    Redline uses more Zn and P additives than many do today - the age catalytic converters faster but only when the oil makes it to the combustion chamber so it might not be much of a problem with a low oil consumption engine.

For the record I recently performed an oil analysis on a 2019 standard Prius with 53kmi on the clock and just slightly over 9kmi on 0W16 Mobile 1 and a Toyota filter. TBN was down to 1.9, viscosity was 6.9 (okay for 0W16), and Si was 27, a bit higher than yours but at almost 2x the oil miles (air filter was Toyota with 20kmi on it and only slightly discolored with dust at the tops of the folds - I'd like to see Si lower and will check for intake air leaks). About 60% of the miles were at interstate speeds and moderate temperatures.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles between oil changes?

4. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I'm doing 5000 mile oil changes. I was doing so many miles recently that I went 5000 miles in a month and a half. Usually I hit 5000 miles within 3 months. I didn't get a chance to do a test at my 50k oil change but I'll probably run the sample when it do it at 55k. My main thing was trying to catch anything abnormal in the oil.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thanks for that. I was worried about the highly elevated silicon levels but after further research, Red Line has some in their formulation as an anti-foaming agent. The TBN in my run is really healthy and I'm sure I can extend it to a 10k mile oil interval, but I'm just OCD about doing 5k changes that it's hard to break the habit. Ive been changing the engine air filter and 10k miles and the cabin air filter at 25k miles just out of force of habit. The costs are so minimal that I don't see any reason why I shouldn't just change them out.... It's just a force of habit....

Doug McC likes this.