1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blackstone Oil Report 10K Miles Super Tech 0W-20

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FuelMiser, Oct 5, 2022.

1. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here is the latest Blackstone Analysis on my 2016 Hybrid Three Touring. Owned since new. Driven 60K miles. Oil changed every 10K miles. Use Walmart's Super Tech 0W-20 and Toyota OEM Cartridge filters. New Toyota crush washer replaced also. Fill with 4 Quarts only. That gives me a reading just below "full" mark. Doesn't use any oil in 10K mile intervals.

In their comments, they mention that they see on average 8,700 mile change intervals on these engines. That bears out what you gather anecdotally on this Forum when members convey personal preferences; we have many owners that continue to change at less than 10K intervals.

Attached Files:

atterbury90 likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you basically just change oil once a year? I guess if 10,000 changes work for you, no need to change what you're doing

Doug McC likes this.
  3. atterbury90

atterbury90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Owner's manual doesn't clearly state 10k ok for mostly highway driving, but I have been using that on both my 2017 and 2022 and I was told somewhere it's ok. Can't see why one would do 5k changes at the cost of oil today.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A 5 qt bottle of oil is less than $30 on Amazon. If you do it yourself, it cost 1/3 the price of a tank of gas in CA. I do 5000 mile changes, the time the car's reminder system lights up to do service.

Doug McC likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the States, the oil change interval is spec'd in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. If you're missing that you can download a pdf at Toyota Tech Info website, for one. That document sets the regular oil change interval at 10K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. It also spec's specific criteria for cutting those intervals in half. Specifically, any of the following:

Driving while towing, using a car-top
    carrier, or heavy vehicle loading

Repeated trips of less than five miles in
    temperatures below 32°F / 0°C

Extensive idling and/or low speed driving
    for a long distance such as police, taxi or
    door-to-door delivery use

All that said, with 2nd gen, Toyota USA spec'd 5K miles or 6 months as the regular oil change interval. And for 3rd gen, Toyota Canada also said 5K miles or 6 months (with 4th gen Toyota Canada matches the US interval).

Honda and Mazda, at least in my recent Canadian experience, spec 5K miles or 6 months.

I look at all that, consider it's MY car, stick with the shorter intervals. And for us it's 6 months governing. By a landslide...

Doug McC likes this.
  6. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I just picked up 5 quarts of Toyota 0W-16 oil, a Toyota filter, and a drain plug gasket from my dealership for a whopping $55.05. So for $110.10 a year I can change my oil at a more frequent interval than “required”. That’s less than what I spend on decent table wine in a month. Seems cheap enough to me. ;)