1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blackvue 750s dash cam install...

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Insighter, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had my dash cam installed in my 2017 Prius Prime Advanced. I didn't like the first location we chose to mount the front cam. It was a bit higher on the windshield than it is now, to the right (passenger side) of where it is now. That not only made it off center, but also made part of the black cover for the sensors visible at the left of the screen in the footage recorded by the dash cam (see photo below). So I moved the front camera into the position it is in in the photos below.

I was concerned that this new position would be too low, or that it would obstruct my view, but it is high enough and I can't even see the camera unless I purposefully move my head to look for it. You can see it from outside the car, of course, but it is not as apparent as it is in these photos. I'll try to update this post later with links to some sample footage from the front and rear cameras.

camera-original-position.jpg outside-view-close.jpg outside-view-wide.jpg passengers-view.jpg drivers-view.jpg

kaynin, Mark57 and MLN like this.
  2. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Any pic for the new mount location? I had been studying it where i can put my desh cam.

3. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Wuzki - Yes, both the original location and the new location are shown in the second photo. The new location is where it is, and the old location is where I "drew" it in in gray and black in Photoshop. Both locations are labeled in that second photograph.

4. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I’m sorry I should had make myself more clear, I meant a screen shot of the camera view.

5. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Did you run the wire from the central console by the back seat or by the arm rest?

6. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My stereo/alarm installer did it, so I don't know.

7. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Be careful. When I install mine and run the wires, I have to make sure the wires did not obstruct the pathway of the curtain airbag. I am not sure if the installer will make that mistake. If I were you, I will pull out the SRS cover and check the location of the wires to make sure they are not blocking the airbag deployment.

Wuzki likes this.
  8. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Good point that is one of my concerns

9. iregret

iregret Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did you find a constant 12v source? I'd like to have an always on connection so that mine will upload automatically without running it's batteries dead everyday. It draws such little power, that the car can handle it. The only one I've found so far is the OBDII port.

10. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What do you mean so it will upload automatically every day? What camera do you have, and where does it upload every day? Thanks

11. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My dash cam comes with a long 12V plug so I just run the wire around the wind shield (pushed inbetween the glass and the plastic foam), then underneath the side SRS, down to the right side of the passenger panel, behind the glove box, to the bottom of the panel center, then center console (pushed between the carpet and the panel), then ask the way to the back of the panel, and plugged into the rear seat 12V socket. Will upload some pictures later this week

iregret likes this.
  12. iregret

iregret Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a "custom" setup that uploads my drives to a server for analysis whenever I get home.

qettyz likes this.
  13. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah, I see.

14. PHV PLS

PHV PLS Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Insighter likes this.
  15. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That does look interesting, but I would be very concerned about it being stolen. They say on the site, "Nothing says “Go Away” quite like a blinking camera mounted on your dashboard." However, I'd be more concerned that nothing says "Break a Window and Steal Me!" like a camera with a blinking light mounted on your dashboard. I think its inside-facing camera could be popular with Uber and Lyft drivers, but I don't know how much the rest of us would use it. Is there an option for a camera facing out the back of the car, too? Is it 1080p? It seems like the site lacks a lot of info about it.

PHV PLS likes this.
  16. PHV PLS

PHV PLS Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It records both ways (y) from what I’ve read! You can also disable the blinking green light. It is in 1080p and to see the video is uploaded onto the cloud. They got way more info on their videos and Facebook page I mean my old Prius had a blue blinking light for the car alarm so a green one would shoo away anyone too IMO :D

17. PHV PLS

PHV PLS Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Here’s a super insightful video on it :D

Wuzki likes this.
  18. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i like the idea uploading to the cloud. Which more monthly payments lol:(

qettyz likes this.
  19. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, that video certainly makes it seem much better. According to that video, it's 4K, which would be great, but then he later says it is 1440, which is less than 4K, but still better than most other dash cams. It incorporates a lot of interesting features.
    The voice interaction is nice. Remote communication when you're out of your car is neat. Apparently, like a Ring doorbell, they replace the camera if it's stolen, which is nice (though the damage to your car breaking in is likely to be far more expensive, and I'd still be concerned people would break into my car to steal it).
    From what I've read, the mounting position is definitely illegal in California. It's attached to the windshield and it's not in one of the bottom corners of the windshield. If the video screen stays on (can't determine if you can shut it off from the videos I've seen), that can be a problem, too.

Wuzki likes this.
  20. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Is there a dash camer can make a good use of our wireless charger? :sneaky::sneaky: