1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bladder? Flashing pip? You guys have me scared

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by courtgal, Apr 2, 2008.

1. courtgal

courtgal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just got my car a few days ago. So far I have driven 230 miles and have two pips past the 1/2 mark on fuel, so a little over a half a tank of gas left, if I stated that correctly -- more than half full! (Says my average is 51.5 so far!)

How do I know when to fill up? does a low fuel light come on? What do I look for? Will I see something before the flashing pips? I don't want to run out of gas, but searching the threads and seeing talk about bladders and flashing pips, I'm not sure what to expect. If I see a flashing pip, I better be real close to a gas station? should I fill up at one pip left?

2. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I fill at 3 pips remaining. That's what fits well in my weekly schedule.

I have gone to two pips without anxiety.

3. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When the 1 pip starts flashing, thats when you really need to get gas, but why do people do that, its not like you are saving anything by trying to use every drop in the tank before you put more in.

Two pips is BEST, at one pip PUT GAS IN FOR SURE, at FLASHING ONE PIP, GET GAS NOW! Best explanation I can come up with.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It depends how far you are from a gas station. On the highway, I start thinking about gas when I get down to two pips. I'm not worried at that point, I just start looking for a good stop. If I get to one pip, then I get gas at the next convenient exit. If the last pip starts flashing, I get gas whether it's convenient or not.

Tom

5. psikot

psikot New Member

i ran out of gas twice to see how far a flashing pip would take me. i got 80-90 miles on a flashing pip with 52MPG. i was prepared and had a gas can in the car, but i wouldn't reccomend filling up on the side of a freeway. the actual miles you get after the pip depends on the number of "cold" starts, how fast you go ect. but i would say a flashing pip is about 2 gallons left, calculate that with MPG's (underestimate) and you will know how far to go, the previous post is correct you don't really gain anything and i might damage the car, so fill up on 1 pip, before flashing pip.

6. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I am not quite sure why everyone likes to challenge the guess-gauge. When the gauge is down to one pip GET GAS, it is that simple. You won't run out and you won't damage the Traction Battery. The car is still giving you better gas mileage than any other passenger vehicle out today. Just fill it up!!!!

7. seesfar

seesfar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I pass several gas stations on my commute to and from work so knew there would not be a problem getting gas when needed. I went to flashing PIP andpulled into the next station for fillup. After four times I put in almost exactly 10 gals. (10.1-10.3). Now I fillup when @ 2 PIPs. but have a good idea where i am as far as fuel. I live in east Texas so don't have as much problem with bladder as colder areas. Remember to fill @ slowest setting and stop when it shuts off.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    TO answer your questions:
    • How to know: There's one pip left
    • Does a low-fuel light...: Yes, when the last pip starts blinking, it is joined by an audible beep and the words "Low Fuel" the MFD.
    • What to look for: A gas station (couldn't resist)
    • Will I see something before the flashing pips: Not really other than three pips, then two pips, then one pip, and finally one blinking pip and the words "Low Fuel" on the MFD.
    My decision to wait until the last pip is blinking is completely and 100% personal and driven by the fact that I document every fill up, the number of days between fill ups, and the average number of miles between each fill up. For this reason, I try to stay as consistent as possible. Exceptions include those days prior to an anticipated price spike due to natural disasters or refinery explosions. There is nothing challenging or testing or subversive involved.

9. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I ensure that I fill up within 10-15 miles after the last PIP starts flashing.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the distance to running out of gas PSI. "80-90 miles after the flashing PIP" good to know. However, I know that there is a bit of computer calibration involved in the Prius gas gauge. So, I wonder if there is a variation in the volume left after that last pip starts flashing.

10. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, I don't think you can count on that. Seems there a number of stories of folks running out after more like 30-40 miles. I suppose one could say YMMV :D

Don't worry too much about it courtgal. Its really just common sense. When the gauge gets down low, its a good idea to put gas in. If the last pip starts flashing and the "Add Fuel" warning comes up on the screen you should find a gas station asap. The only folks who have really gotten into any trouble are those that second guess the gauge. Either by assuming there must still be plenty of gas in the tank and keeping driving, or by assuming the tank must not really be full and trying to repeatedly add more gas to it. If you just wait until it gets low, then fill it up like any other car and put the pump away when it clicks off you'll be fine. If you want to try and get a little more fuel into the bladder, you can fill up slowly and at the warmest time of day. Doing this can help it stretch out a little more.

BTW, I fill up at the same time as Winston, and for the same reason. But then I live in a city with a gas station on practically every corner. On long trips or in rural areas I fill up at ~2 pips just to be safe. Same goes for any other car really.

Rob

11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fill up often. Each day you wait, the gas prices will go up a few cents. Dont wait! FILL UP NOW!

Seriously, I filled up last night for $3.55, Shell Regular. Today its $3.59. Boy, was I smart not to wait, and I only had two pips left! :cool:

12. brooksq

brooksq New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I also wait until last pip starts to blink and have calculated almost exactly the same '80-90 miles left'. BUT, I always take the safe road and never push it more then 50 miles after the last pip starts to blink. I have done this on numerous occasions and been completely fine. As a matter of fact, when I have done this I think my average gallons put in have been between 10-10.5

13. scoots170

scoots170 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    i've noticed that my guage will drop from 1 pip over 1/2 to 2 below 1/2 in about 60 miles. then when i filled up at 1 pip i was putting in about 71/2 gallons. does anyone elses guage drop that fast? seems strange to me. it's not my driving....really!

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Completely normal.

Tom

15. ForestryProf

ForestryProf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife ran out of gas earlier this week...10 miles after the last pip started flashing. Good thing she was only a mile from a gas station.

Ed

16. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Prices in my area, Boynton Beach, Florida, can vary as much as $0.20 a gallon within a 30 mile radius. When I see 2 PIPs I start thinking about gas. Depending on where I am and where I have to go in the next day or so I may wait to fill up. While I don't drive around to save a 2-3 cents a gallon if I know of a station with much lower prices along my route, I'll wait.

If I hit one PIP it is pretty much the next station unless they are really high, then it is the second next station.

Bob

17. brooksq

brooksq New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

that really is strange how different these "same" cars are. i have an 05, which one does she have?

18. songsbrat

songsbrat New Member

I have an '03 Prius and have let my gas gauge get to the "flashing point" a few times. It finally became one time too many and I had to have the sensor that goes from the bladder to the computer replaced. At 200 and something dollars! So don't let it get to that point!!!

19. rkskeet

rkskeet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My driving habits and wanting to make sure I get the lowest prices has me filling up when I hit 5 pips left.. Normally that is about 4.5 to 5 gals..

20. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Smart idea, doesn't cost any more to drive on the top half than the bottom half and the mileage will be the same. I should do the same, but I usually let mine get down to two or three pips. I have never seen one pip.