1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bladder? Flashing pip? You guys have me scared

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by courtgal, Apr 2, 2008.

1. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It might sound stupid... but how much does that 5 gallons of gas weigh? They say you shouldn't have stuff in your trunk you don't need because it will impact your mpg, I would think that the weight of gas would have the same effect, the weight of everything in the car adds up. Including my gut... and my trunk. Ok, time for a diet. Next week ;-)
    We wouldn't be discussing this in any other car, too bad ours reads out mpg to a 10th of a mpg.

2. prelec

prelec New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The owner's manual says that when the last pip starts flashing you have 3 gallons(or less) left in the tank. Last weekend we were about 15 miles from our home off-ramp when the last pip started flashing. The car being pretty new, my wife looked at the manual, said 3 gallons remain, 48mpg, ergo 140mpg(max). 10 miles later everything started flashing, the ICE stopped running, I pulled over. We got off the fwy to a parking lot on battery power only, shut it off, started to call for gas. Then I tried turning it back on, the ICE started, started charging the battery, but all the warning lights were still flashing. Went straight to the nearest gas station and added 10.5 gallons. Everything normal. Obviously, I will be filling up before it flashes from now on.

3. JRGris

JRGris New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Buying gas for my Prius is so much fun compared to my previous car that I do it whenever I get the chance. I love to pull in next to some big beast SUV that has been pumping for awhile, fill up and leave before they are done. The open mouth look that I get from them is priceless. :eek: I usually fill up with two or three pips left.

4. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    approximately 6.1 pounds per gallon