1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bladderectomy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tickwood, Sep 8, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Sep 9 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]317116[/snapback]</div>
    I asked this questions many times during our trip through OR this summer. Not once did I hear an answer repeated. I asked about five times, and got five different answers ranging from, "creating of jobs for the uneducated" to "A politician's sun was injured in a gas station accident."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Sep 9 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]317139[/snapback]</div>
    Can't go any slower than I'm attempting. But as others have found it may be that the nozzles that give me trouble won't go any slower than FULL ON. I pull just until it BARELY starts to flow, and pull no more. Click. Release, repeat. Click. Release, reapeat. Click.

That it is normal. Deal with it.

I've had my car for six months and have had the problem about nine out of each ten attempts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Sep 9 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]317193[/snapback]</div>
    This is probably the main problem that I've experienced.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Sep 9 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]317116[/snapback]</div>
    Don't know about NJ but in Oregon I imagine originally it was seen as some kind of safety thing. It isn't now, if it ever really was, because the people filling your tank have essentially no special training and most of them pay a lot less attention to what is happening than you would if you filled it your self. We have voted on this twice in the last 15 years or so and each time the people of Oregon have voted to have someone else pump their gas. There are several reasons for this, one is that some people think it provides a low paying job for someone, but the most important reason is that a lot of people are just to lazy to pump their own gas.

I would prefer to pump my own gas because I can do a better job than some kid who is paying more attention to the good looking gal in the Corvette than to gas going into my Prius, I really don't blame him. The problem with the law is that some of the time you are going to end up with either spilled gas or have 3/4 of a tank when you really wanted it filled. But the process was democratic and it's what the people wanted and that is OK.

Be careful what you wish for because you might get it.

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Sep 10 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]317323[/snapback]</div>
    The main reason for keeping the law the way it is, at least in NJ, is that people fear that if self-serve were introduced the current gas prices would stay the same for self-serve, and full service would go up. Nobody wants to pay the same amount of money for less service.

We're quite happy with things the way they are. We don't think it provides low paying jobs and we're not lazy. We're just realistic and don't want to be screwed.

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Sep 10 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]317364[/snapback]</div>
    Ah yes... there's the rub. You drive just a mile or two from one side of the OR/CA border to the other and find that "self service" in CA costs 30c/gallon more than the "attendant service" (I won't call this full service!) just a few miles North.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Sep 10 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]317386[/snapback]</div>
    I live in the Northern part of Oregon and The gas prices were a bit higher here until Washington raised their gas tax, now it's usually a bit cheaper on this side of the river. The attendant doesn't cost more in a lot of cases (small convenience stores, etc.) because there would be someone there anyway to run the store, they most likely put on an extra person during busy hours. My understanding is California gas prices are a lot higher because of all the special blends, is that not correct?

What we don't have here that would be nice is card lock stations for individuals. We had them until about 5 years ago and they were quite a savings. Businesses can still use them for company vehicles only.

Jpnnycat26 you say "We're quite happy with things the way they are." has the issue ever been on the ballot there? BTW I'm glad to here the people of New Jersey aren't lazy. :)

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Sep 10 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]317408[/snapback]</div>
    Not only are NJ residents not lazy, we seem to have a better grasp of grammar and spelling than our fellow citizens do. Or at least that's what I 'here'. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I don't know if it has been on the ballot or not. I do know that when Corzine suggested it a few months back, there was a near revolt in the state, at which point Corzine wisely let the issue drop.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Sep 10 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]317446[/snapback]</div>
    Touche, thanks for the correction. :eek:

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Sep 10 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]317408[/snapback]</div>
    That's as good an excuse as any, I guess. Mostly the product costs more because we'll pay it.

9. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Sep 10 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]317464[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah! Tell me who had prices at $4.00 too?! We Californian's get crappy quality 'special blended' gas and it's more expensive! Ack! The irony!~

10. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have over 12k on my '06 and never had a problem filling up. No overflows, no partial tanks. Many different gas stations. Attendants pump, I pump...same results.

11. patcoghm

patcoghm Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Sep 8 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]316664[/snapback]</div>

Are you saying the Prius is exempt from smog checks. What state do you live in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Sep 8 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]316664[/snapback]</div>

Are you saying the Prius is exempt from smog checks. What state do you live in.

12. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Sep 9 2006, 07:22 PM) [snapback]317116[/snapback]</div>
    I always love to answer this this one.

Once upon a time full service, including windshield washing, was universal. Then, the oil companies got a brilliant idea and offered self serve with the pretense of cost saving for the consumer. The two states NJ, OR that legislated against it did so for reasons of safety and to retain employment opportunities at the low income level.
    And NJ full serve gas prices are generally lower than the self serve price in neighboring PA, and are at or below the national average.

Now add in the advantages of not having to get out of your car in bad weather, not having gasoline odor on your hands, not having to stand outside with your wallet out to pay a cashier in a bullet proof booth in the middle of the night, and you will understand the reasoning behind such a law.

13. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is one advantage of self-service gas stations that no one has mentioned. You don't have attendants holding out their hands waiting for a tip.

14. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Sep 10 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]317559[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, we don't have that in NJ either. And we have full service.

Next.

15. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Sep 10 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]317323[/snapback]</div>
    I lived in the Portland area for 4 years. I rather enjoyed the fact that all the gas stations were full service. When you have misty, drizzely, blowing rain 8 months out of the year, it's rather nice to just sit in you car while someone else gets damp.

16. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genalex @ Sep 10 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]317550[/snapback]</div>
    That's true, but our gas taxes are 1/2 of what Pennsy's are.

PA: Gasoline Tax: 32.2 cents/gallon Diesel Fuel Tax: 34.0 cents/gallon
    NJ: Gasoline Tax: 14.5 cents/gallon Diesel Fuel Tax: 17.5 cents/gallon

Source: http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

Our property taxes, on the other hand ... :(

17. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Whether or not they pass on the savings to the consumer is strictly driven by economics (what the consumer will pay). No one individual (not even Bush) or entity "sets" the price of gas, not those evil oil companies (who, gasp, even make profits, horrors!!) only the consumer can do that. If you don't like the price of gas then buy a Prius (that's why I did) or don't buy gas at all. When the supply exceeds the demand the price WILL come down.

Some stations in the other 48 states still do offer full service as an option but it is more expensive, hmmm I wonder why????

??? So the other 48 states are unsafe? Safe from what?? Pumping your own gas has got to be one of the most mundane tasks one can face during the day.

Bad economics (and logic) again. Want to create jobs with that logic; eliminate all automation in factories. Eliminate earth movers and dig roads and sewers by hand. Millions of jobs would be created overnight.

That's right but where does the service station get the money to pay the attendants? Check your gas per gallon tax structure. In NJ it is about 14.5 cents per gallon. In neighboring PA it is over 30 cents per gallon. And the counties in PA may even add another tax surcharge.

If there was a demand for such a service go to a station that provides full serve. No laws against it.

Never happened to me; but I do understand with diesel it is a different story.

Who pays cash anymore? Just swipe your credit/debit card or Exxon FOB and start pumping

You can have the law. I'll take the choice.

18. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems to me that there is significant variation in the filling experiences of different people. This would seem to suggest that there is significant variation from car to car. Personally, I have never had any problems with the bladder. Usually the pump does cut off before the tank has 11.9 gallons in it, but I basically always get 10 gallons in, at the very least.

Now, Darell is clearly not a noob (although, I think I have commented before that these EV guys are likely to get disoriented at gas stations) and doesn't seem to be the type to be obsessed with getting 11.9000000 gallons of gas in his car. This really suggests to me that there's something wrong (or, at least, "different") with a fraction of the Prii on the road.

19. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No. It just means one of the rationales for the law was increased safety.

Logic has nothing to do with NJ politics. :D

NJ does demand full-service. As Johnnycat mentioned, Gov. Corzine floated the idea of getting rid of the full-service-only law and residents had a collective sh!t-fit.

Only if the pump is equipped for you to do that. We have many stations where that's not the case.

I grew up in PA and would love to pump my own gas again. But I'm in the minority here in NJ. So I have to have the law.

20. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 11 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]317719[/snapback]</div>
    You couldn't be more right! Fully half or more of the threads on this board could be ended with the above statement (and I am referring to ALL (state, fed, local, etc) politics everywhere, not just NJ)! Silly me trying to debate a political point with logic...

Touche!

Rick
    #4 2006