1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bladderectomy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tickwood, Sep 8, 2006.

1. sgensler

sgensler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Sep 13 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]318950[/snapback]</div>
    Hey sxer! I don't know where it was, but somewhere on this site I saw several suggestons that seemed to work for some people. How bout we try different things and compare results?

At my next fill-up I'm going to try setting the pump handle on the first notch to fill up slowly and see how that works. I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve

PS -- do you also have the problem where the pump cuts off around 8.5 gal. and you have to keep at it for 5+ min. to get it up to 10 gal.?

2. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm going over 600 miles on this tank and have never had a problem filling up the car....... I understand that some have struggled with the problem, and quite frankly I was nervous after having read some of these threads prior to purchasing the vehicle, but those fears were unfounded... for me anyways.

3. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

How many gallons do you put in when you fill? Your average is 51.6mpg where i'm only 43.5mpg.

51.6mpg @ 600mi = 11.63gallons
    43.5mpg @ 600mi = 13.79gallons

I don't really get how you are going 600 miles. Maybe on your better tanks with more than 51mpg. Sounds like you are not telling the full story. I've gotten 500 miles on a tank, it's not typical though.

If you put in around 9 gallons per fill like most do i'm sure you are only getting around 450 per tank. I'd like to see your greenhybrid data.

When I fill I always put it on the lowest setting. It does not seem bad. I still only have a capacity of around 10.4 gallons. I don't know where my extra 1.5 gal is. I guess I don't get to use it.

4. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

5. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

lol.. I just found you. good job mr 2103 miles. Best I've seen is 476 miles which was 8.6 gallons. Where is this supposid 600 miles? Look at it like this. If you are getting 53+mpg just don't listen to the low fuel info. You know you can go at least about 600 miles before you are really low (that would be only 11.3 gallons).

Why this misinformation? What are you trying to prove?

@58mpg you should be able to BARELY hit 600. be sure to have a gas can handy unless you are really close to a station.

Let's see how everything is when you have more miles on the car. Sofar your 8.6 gallons isnt proving anything.

6. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Sep 13 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]319179[/snapback]</div>
    If being a dick is what you're getting at, then you're doing a pretty damned good job. If you would have read my post (reading seems to be an issue for you), you'd see that I stated this tank! You'll get the data as soon as that last pip starts blinking so relax tampax..... Sheeeeeshh....

7. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Sep 14 2006, 08:04 AM) [snapback]319496[/snapback]</div>
    Clearly you had nothing to contribute. You didnt go over 600 miles. You never put more than 9 gallons of gas int he car. You have nothing to do with what we are discussing. How could you have had a problem filling the car? You put only 8.7 gallons in it. I do that every 3 days as we know. It's no big deal. We are talking about the capacity being 11.9 however only having a real world capacity of around 10.3 gallons. So what does you putting 8.7 gallons in the car mean? Nothing. So maybe you need to read and understand that your data means nothing to the topic so maybe you should just shut up if you have nothing useful to contribute. :rolleyes:

8. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Sep 14 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]319502[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, and it looks like you've spent a bit too much time enhaling exhaust fumes from those 9 cars you have..... If putting 10 gallans vs. 11.9 gallons into the car is as earth shattering an experience to you as it seems, you just need to relax. WHO FREAKING CARES!

9. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    LOL, it's like watching a tennis match! I don't think it's worth anyone getting mad over guys. :blink:

10. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Sep 14 2006, 08:28 AM) [snapback]319510[/snapback]</div>
    Clearly since you only have 2000 miles on the car and you drive 4 miles to work or whatever it's not an issue to you. But some of us actually drive a lot. Therefore the difference between 10 gallons vs. 11.9 gallons is at least a dozen fills per year or an extra fill or two each month. It's a big deal to me. But clearly you are unable to read the posts before you come here spouting off nonsense so I think YOU are the one who needs to read the rest of this thread before saying the same stuff that's been said over and over.

I drive more than 99% of people here so for me an extra gallon or two is substantial. So Mr. 2k miles. Your perspective does not really matter because you are not the type of person who it will have an effect on.

You are not one to say what is a earth shattering experience and what is not.

And you need to cool it with the insults.

I also only have 5 cars. Not 9. You were saying something about ME having a reading issue?

11. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

[attachmentid=5011]

12. brjacobso

brjacobso Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Sep 9 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]317116[/snapback]</div>
    The only explaination I've heard for the law requiring the employees to fill your tank is that it creates jobs for those attendants. I filled up in Oregon once and they had 2 or 3 extra employees that normally wouldn't be needed.

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gimmemyprius @ Sep 14 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]319595[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmmm...perhaps we could use that rationale to create jobs in other fields as well?

--Must have an employee press the button on the copy machine for you at Kinko's
    --Must have an attendant flush the toilet after you use a public restroom
    --Must have security personnel insert my ticket into the public transportation fairgate before entering

I'm not disputing the explaination, but the logic behind it.

14. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Sep 14 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]319617[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly what I pointed out a few responses ago on this thread. Then someone else grabbed me by the collar and essentially said "You dummy, why are you trying to interject logic into politics!" He couldn't have been more right. So that pretty much ended the argument (at least for me) about the logic (that is, lack of) of creating useless jobs.

And, yea, I think the bladder is a good idea, but is poorly implemented (it's a PIA!) in the Prius.

Rick
    #4 2006

15. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    240sxer, you really need to calm down man. I think we all understand that it's a "big deal" for you not getting that extra gallon. we get it. no need to keep shoving it down our throats.

On the other hand, you should also understand that getting that extra gallon isn't all that important to us as it is to you.

Finally, if this difference of a gallon is all that important to you, then you're always free to sell the Prius to someone who can appriciate safety and emissions benifits of having a bladder in their car, and buy something for yourself that has better range, although possibly not as good fuel economy.

Finally, any insults that may have been directed your way, are, IMO, well deserved. You come on here telling people that their opinions don't matter because they don't try to fill the tank to absolute maximum capacity like you do. On the contrary, i'd say their opinions are perfectly valid, since that opinion is generally that they don't care/don't notice missing that extra gallon.

16. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 14 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]319668[/snapback]</div>
    Another person who does not listen I see. I don't try to fill my car to the maximum capacity. I fill it on the lowest setting and that's it. It only equals about 10.3 gallons.

Saying it's not a big deal is a matter of OPINION; that’s not what you do understand. To some driving around an H2 getting 12mpg is "not a big deal". To some it is. To some running leaded race fuel and driving around on the street shooting flames and killing the planet is "not a big deal" to some it is. Clearly if you tell me it's "not a big deal" I can show you that it is (to me) with data. If you don't read that data I provide then it's really your fault that I have to keep repeating it. If you'd quit bringing up the same point I'll quit brining up the same defense.

With that said. To anyone who has to resort to making little "tampon" and "inhaling exhaust fumes" statement because they cannot properly defend themselves and their point probably does not need to be making that point.

I said there was misinformation because he (in my opinion) acted as if he was getting capacity over the "standard" 10.3-10.6 gallon mark that most people get. He was only putting below 9 gallons in his car so he really was not doing so, yet still acted like he could.

So whether or not you feel any statements toward me are "justified" does not really matter. It's immature to conduct yourself that way. Insult my lesser mileage I get in my prius.. Whatever you want, but don't be childish making "tampon" statements.

I'm probably younger than most of you in here and you don't see me acting like a child. I make my point, and defend my point. If you are unable to do so without insulting people then don't say anything at all because it's not really constructive.

I drive my prius because I like the car and I like the fuel economy. There is a LARGE potion of people who don’t care about emissions (whether or not they admit it). So don’t treat emissions benefits of the prius as if it’s a concern of everyone’s across the board. If there was a way I could modify my prius to get better fuel economy but put out more emissions I’d do it. Not that I absolutely don’t care about the environment, but if I can benefit myself while making only a small sacrifice to emissions I’ll do it.

17. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Sep 14 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]319689[/snapback]</div>
    I'm done with this little debate and these semantics, I'll just address 2 quick points.

1- Nobody cares that you're 24 years old. I'm 3 years older then you so this isn't a generational thing here.

2- You essentially called me a liar saying that I was spreading disinformation, and then act like an angel when I come back strong... Tough s**t.

To attempt to get this thread back on track...... I'll say that I've been quite pleased with the bladder to date and haven't had any problems in that regard. I seriously question if a lot of the issues people are having stems from what plant their Prius was manufactured in? Just a thought.

18. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Sep 14 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]319689[/snapback]</div>
    Um, thats exactly the point i was getting at... it's a big deal to you, and not to others, clearly a matter of opinion. Sometimes people may not say things exactly as clearly as you may want them, but it's still important to read posts for understanding, not just as words strung together with no meaning... I thought my first two paragraphs clearly stated that it was your opinion that its a big deal, and others that it isn't. i'm sorry if that didn't come across to you. saying i don't understand that is just being thick headed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Sep 14 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]319689[/snapback]</div>
    He never pretended or acted like he was putting more than normal in the car. instead, he made a claim that he expected to get 600 miles on this tank, which is fine, and that he had never experienced problems filling up the car. clearly it's his opinion that filling up as much as he did was fine and not a big deal, if even noticed. it also probably stems from others comments about having to pump slow, etc. to properly fill the tank.

On the contrary, coming back with the same old arguements when we're saying "we understand your view point but don't happen to share it, here's our experiences" is rather childish. untill this thread degenerated into a flaming war, all i saw was people sharing their experiences and their opinions that it wasn't a big deal, as well as the engineering reasons why you don't get the 11.9 gallons into the tank.

I'm sorry if it came across that i was implying everyone loves the emissions. Not at all my intention. That being said, the low emissions are one of the selling points of the car (among many). I think we all understand by this point that you're willing to sacrifice the emissions for the bigger tank, and i feel that it's been clearly stated that the expense of such a modification is prohibitively high.

The question that started this topic was put to bed several pages of posts ago (being that of replacing the gas tank). As it's also been previously stated, the thread has "degenerated" into subtopics since then. No one was overly attacking you or your idea until you got defensive and attacking other members. sl7vk responded appropriately to your attack, saying he was spreading "misinformation" and generally acting holier than thou in that post.

Please, i'm taking the time and effort to try to fully understand both the content and the intent of your posts - do the same with those you read. Avoid flaming each other or calling others posts into question by implying that they were lying or intentially attempting to mislead people.

BTW, i'm 24, so like you i'm probably younger than 95+% of the people on the board here. I've seen people act childish when they're 50, and i've seen 10 year olds act with complete respect and caring, as though they were 50. People act as though age and maturity go hand in hand. unfortunately, i believe it's maturity and understanding that go hand in hand. and some people take the time to understand more than others, giving a perceived "maturity lvl" that exceeds their age.

19. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very nicely stated, Eagle. You said most of what I'm about to say, but I spent way to0 long working on it to back out now.

In the words of Warner Wolf ... "Let's go to the videotape!"

First sl7vk said:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Sep 13 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]319057[/snapback]</div>
    Then you said:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Sep 13 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]319173[/snapback]</div>
    The "Sounds like you are not telling the full story" line could be perceived as baiting. Let's assume it wasn't, since sl7vk replied with:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Sep 13 2006, 06:47 PM) [snapback]319175[/snapback]</div>
    You responded in the following mature manner:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Sep 13 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]319179[/snapback]</div>
    So, if I'm following this little p!ssing match correctly, sl7vk was perfectly respectable with his response. You made it your mission to "prove him wrong". What's even sadder is that he wasn't trying to prove anything. Just adding his opinion and trying to help.

Now on to more current business:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Sep 14 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]319689[/snapback]</div>
    Why should he have to defend himself? He said nothing that needed defending.
    He never acted like he got over the standard capacity. He never said anything about how much gas he puts in his car. He mentioned that he was nervous about potential bladder problems (but nothing that would require Detrol, of course) but hasn't had problems.

Actually, I DO see you acting like a child. You took it upon yourself to read into what someone else posted and then post how they're "wrong" and they shouldn't say anything based on only having driven X-number of miles. You also thump your chest and tell us all how much you drive in a year.

Full disclosure: I drive 100 miles a day for work, 80% highway. I've gone over 500 miles on a tank multiple times. On most of those, I filled up with 2 pips left. My fillup yesterday was a little over 9 gallons and had just hit the last pip about 10 miles before I filled up. I've never put much more than 9 gallons in.

I'm sorry you have problems with the bladder. Have you considered modifying your driving habits to get better mileage and therefore increase your range?

20. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five