1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BLADE tailpipe - Decrease catalytic warmup time?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by gge5, Aug 8, 2008.

1. gge5

gge5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The BLADE Blade Your Ride: Save Gas, Save Money, Stop Global Warming is a filter that fits over the end of your tailpipe. They claim that:

1. It prevents soot from exiting your tailpipe and out into the atmosphere
    2. It keeps the hot exhaust gasses in your tailpipe longer, thereby warming up the catalytic converter more quickly (it apparently makes the pulses of engine exhaust into a more constant stream by restricting the flow rate).
    So my question is: how much of this is rooted in logical arguments? I see they're showing scientific data tests from 3rd parties in Brazil and California.

I have an engine block heater, so would this really be of any benefit? Does the EBH help warm up the catalytic converter, or does the onboard computer assume it's warm because the engine is?

The blade seems pretty spendy at $200, and each cartridge is $20 and is rated for 5-10K miles. So, is there any logic in buying this for a Prius (especially one with an EBH)?

2. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Restricting the outlet and holding more back pressure will heat the cat up sooner I suppose, but it also would tend to reduce power output when you need it most. I doubt that this would be a good idea for the Prius as the ICE is not exactly a monster anyway.

I would be interested in hearing what someone who has used one has to say.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a crock o' sh!t. Toyota spent years optimizing the system for emissions and fuel economy. Some doofus piece of chicken wire is not going to improve it.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    More snake oil. The exhaust system on the Prius is already optimized for the Prius. Add this to the dumpster with the fuel line magnets and the HHO generators.

Tom

5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh no! and my combination magnet hho generator blind safe noise maker just got here!
    shoot. I should read here closer!!!

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

For $200 it should at least turn itself off when the catlytic converter is up to temperature. All it is is a tube, clamp, screen, and some high temperature porous insulation.

7. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah... so it can clog your engine. Real smart there.