1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blaming earthquakes on the super moon?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Nov 24, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Rare Supermoon Is Going to Unleash Tidal Waves and Massive Earthquakes : snopes.com

CLAIM: Scientists say that largest the supermoon since 1948, occurring on 14 November 2016, will trigger tidal waves and catastrophic earthquakes, wreaking havoc across the planet.
    . . .

Earthquake in Central America today: Huge earthquake strikes off El Salvador | Stuff.co.nz

I blame it on the Thanksgiving dinner I took out of the oven . . . and put back in. Not quite done.

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Based on largest and smallest distances from earth to moon, and 1/r2, I was honestly surprised to see that lunar pulling differs by 30% between those extremes.

It might actually be worth the effort to look at extensive earthquake records vs. earth-moon distance. This is different from tidal effects (the monthly cycle) and combined effects of lunar and solar pulling (which have some non-monthly cycle in combination).

But as always, confirmation comes not from any single event that happened just as one's hypothesis 'foretold'.

Baffled by miss-timing that turkey. I would have thought you'd be getting digital thermometer readings every half-hour and fitting them to logarithm.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We did a ham but my technique with any large piece of meat, I load up an larger volume and weight of vegetables including those small carrots. If the carrots are too firm, back in the oven it goes.

Sad to say, I've done two, 5 lb hunks of meat in the past month, standing rib roast, 3-4 days of eating, and the ham, and both times, missed getting bok choy ... a most perfect vegetable. My wife and her dogs love the meat and bones and I love the veggies.

Truth be told, I'm looking forward to ordering sukiyaki even though it is a dish best served for two or more ... with egg. But I may have to settle for pho dac biet or variations. What I find amazing is how so few of my fellow countrymen recognize that soups with a side of rice/noodle/bean sprouts is just about the perfect meal.

Last night, I ordered a bowl of gumbo and brunswick stew made with smoked meats. Did I mention sweet corn bread muffins with onion and jalapeƱo bits.

So I'm planning to take the Pecos TX to Tucson AZ path the second day. Any suggestions of places to visit ... as in places to eat? We are fond of Tex-Mex and not that greasy, poorly seasoned stuff found in Houston. But I wouldn't turn down a proper, Chicken Fried Steak.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I like to take mine out and put it back in many times during the course of preparation. It think it really heightens the final presentation. :eek:

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Back the original topic, we know the tidal records show a correlation with lunar gravity effects. But we also have to deal with air pressure and winds too. So I'm thinking a proper correlation study would be multi-variable along with the transfer and accumulation of forces along fault lines. But like weather, might as well use 'loaded dice.'

Bob Wilson

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I always blame the buildup of back issues of National Geographic for deforming the earth's crust.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Paper is denser than most people suppose. Up to 1.2 which is about like the densest wood. I like to describe it as 'wood without the air'.

Snopes has little time for reports of various libraries sinking though
    Sinking Library : snopes.com

8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Super Moon in conjunction with coronal holes streaming Earth bound solar wind. Suns magnetism causes weather as well as climate as well as earthquakes and volcanoes.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    An interesting thing about solar magnetic field is its complete reversal every 11 years (+/- small). From strength of derived patterns on Earth, we could learn something about solar effects.

Interesting to see a list of such cycles. And how we'd separate magnetic effects from the parts-per-thousand cycles in solar irradiance.

More interesting than a mere declaration. Anybody can do that.

10. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since the moon's orbit is elliptical, there is a closet approach every 28 days. It is just that this time it coincided with a full moon.

11. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This thread keeps pulling me in. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't force due to gravity a square of the distance?

[​IMG]
    So as objects get closer to each other, their attraction increases substantially.

12. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually, tidal forces are inverse cube relationships. It is an infinite series calculation where your F is the first term. When they are subtracted, the first terms, being equal, cancel, as do all the even powered terms. Everything beyond R^3 is small enough to be ignored.