1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blank MFD on 2004 model, part# confusion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by saunapalvi, Nov 22, 2017.

1. saunapalvi

saunapalvi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I've been a happy owner of a 2004 model until recently when the MFD went dark. Touch works, all the controls work, just the screen is black. The Toyota logo does come up when starting the car, but then it goes dark. Toyota dealership wanted 2000€ here in Finland, so I asked them about the part number and looked online.
    Trouble is, they told me the part number is 86110-47250 and they would fix it with part 86110-47250-EX. When searching with those numbers, I found many listings about MFDs with part number 86110-47071 and 86110-47250 - in the same part! Even a picture of the sticker in the back says 86110-47071 but in the listing they write it as 86110-47250. Also some car part listing sites say -EX would have something to do with audio, and the non-EX part is the MFD. I'm so confused!

If it's relevant, the car is the European Executive version with JBL, 6CD, no backup camera, the older and crappier screen, bluetooth, navi, controls on the wheel.

I've tried researching this everywhere and yes - read all the "my MFD is dead"-topics here too, but can't seem to find any answers to my specific question.

Anyone? I really want to try getting a spare part from some junkyard and install it myself with some help from youtube, but just need to know which part to hunt for.

Thank you!

2. saunapalvi

saunapalvi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found a part from a junkyard dealer, code 86110-47071. Now I would have a "cheap" part available, but I have no idea if it fits my dash or not. Toyota wasn't any more helpful than previously said.

It's just weird, I can't find any parts that exclusively say 86110-47250 that Toyota wanted to replace, all of them also include the code 86110-47071. Really baffling, and slightly discouraging..

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hope that somebody would actually know if you can just install the one with the different part number.

Could you find some that did have bough of those codes on the actual part? I did find these on Swedish junkyard: GPS Navigator - Toyota Prius -04 - W599215 it only appears to have the 86110-47250 number (I just used image search to find it).

#3 valde3, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  4. saunapalvi

saunapalvi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi valde3,

The only same-code part IN THE WORLD I've found is that same one on a different site:

oh darn, can't post links. Site's laga.se, search for 86110-47250

There's 3 MFDs, for years 2004, 2005 and 2006, and only year 2004 actually has the part number printed on it. But the newer ones have 47071 in the back, but in their details they say in Swedish (which a fellow finn should understand well enough ;):

• Originalnr 86110-47250
    • Visuellt Originalnr 86110-47071
    What I understand from that it hints towards the original part# being 47250, but shows 47071 on the print. The MFDs all look identical, so I have no clue. There's dozens of 47071 available, but only one single 47250.

There's another one in a Finnish junkyard, looks identical, 47071. I asked about the code because there was no picture.

Sorry, I feel like I'm whining a bit too much. Just looks pretty grim, I might have to drive without the screen for a few years then.

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Probably any MFD with the lower resolution and JBL (separate amplifier) would work (probably even the one without navigation (you would just lose navigation)). Wiring looks to be the same and I don’t think data line communication is different. But I would really like to find confirmation for this from somewhere. I do remember seeing somewhere that somebody had swapped the unit (+adding other components and wiring) to get navigation or just changing the language.

Another option would be to fix the old one. Maybe only the back light is missing. If you can see the picture (very dimly) with flashlight then the fault is in the back light inverter. But even it’s something else in the unit it still is probably fixable.

6. saunapalvi

saunapalvi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestion, checked with flashlight but there was nothing. I guess it doesn't even suggest backlight outage when the Toyota logo does come up brightly on the screen when starting the car.

I asked two Toyota dealerships for more info on the codes, but they don't seem to know or bother really. One did dig slightly deeper and realized that if they try to order a #47071EX (EX being the refurbished(?) spare part), it changes into #47250EX right before submitting the order. Just viewing the parts available doesn't show this change. So there's a chance that the 47071 part would really fit and work, but nobody knows.

Biting the bullet would cost 300€ + work. Any chance I could fry the system inserting a wrong MDF?

7. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three