1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blazer projector HID fog light upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, Apr 5, 2011.

1. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A+. Waiting eagerly to see how that D2S upgrade is going to work out. Hopefully you wont even have to bake the headlight

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll still have to bake it or use a heat gun to get the front cover off. The Morimoto Minis, like all the other projectors, have to slide in from the front. I'm actually not even worried about that part. I am worried about cutting out the hole and aiming the lights correctly. :)

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Baking the headlights scares the bajesus out of me. Shoot, I just got my headlight replaced to fix a cracked sealed. But all the more power to you. I can't wait to see the finished product. :rockon:

As for cutting the hole, start small?

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered the parts today and TRS already shipped them out. :)

I ain't skerd of baking the headlights. I was skerd of cutting holes for the projector so I got the Minis because the hole only needs to be widened a bit. They may not be quite as good as the FX-R projectors but they are close enough for me. I ordered the Osram 66240 bulbs which start off as 4300k and gradually shift to about 5000k to match my foglights.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dang I never even considered that. Hah, you sure have thought about this.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm tired of wasting money on stuff that doesn't work the way I hoped so I went all out. The price wasn't too bad for everything and Matt at TRS was great to work with.

I'm going to remove the 55w DDM HID kit because it would created too much heat for the new projectors. I'll list them for sale once they are out. :)

7. johnmaci

johnmaci Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2011 Prius III, Gen III, still under warranty. Since I do not have any fogs installed, does a kit void my warranty?

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They cannot legally void any part of your warranty unless they can prove that whatever aftermarket part you installed was directly responsible for whatever part you are claiming warranty on. That is the legal take on it.

This upgrade is not as directly applicable to your car as you have a GenIII and your foglight opening is much different than a GenII. That being said, I bet you can retrofit these into the GenIII foglight kit that they sell here at the PriusChat Shop. I would first purchase those and see how you like them and if you feel you need more then you can consider the Blazers as a retrofit option. :) There are companies that can do the retrofit for you if you feel you lack the ability to do it yourself.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I took a quick scan of that article.. thanks ftl... but he didn't mention something that I think is essential to understand fog lights... the enhanced backscatter effect. When light hits a diffuse scatterer, like fog, light is scattered in all directions, but more light is scattered directly back at the source than in any other direction (main reason the full moon is so much brighter than the night before or after). This means that the fog will scatter directly back at your headlights. If your head is within about 15 degrees of this direction you will be within some of this halo and will see more fog than you would otherwise. So if fog lights are mounted low enough, your head is out of this halo. Big trucks all have the driver well above the headlights, which I believe is why they seem to be able to drive faster than me in the fog. It's why I don't understand the fog lights only on with the headlights thing.

11. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's the total cost going from halogen fogs'?

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    About $60-$70 depending on the bulbs you choose. IMO it's not worth the money if you do the projector headlight upgrade. :)

13. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point, especially judging from your pics.. but the halogen fogs' look soooo ugly with hids' :p

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are unsafe to boot! :)

If these Blazers came with a good mounting system I would recommend them. On the otherhand, I bet you could retrofit them into the OEM foglamps using a Dremel and some JB weld. I may have to try that after I replace my front bumper cover someday.

15. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What I want to do is have my fog lights match my stock hid headlights and provide the most amount of light/for the money. I want to spend as little money as possible and make the install as easy as possible but I don't have a lot of tools or know how. I did the stealth stereo upgrade and it turned out great. Please tell me what I have to buy. Thanks!

16. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BUMP!?

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honest I don't think there is an easy, cheap fix that puts out a lot of light. :( The setup I used proved unreliable due to the type of adhesive we used and in the end I didn't like them. Foglights in general really don't do much but cast a nice bright light directly in front of the car where it is essentially useless. The easiest method is to replace the OE lights with something pre-built by Hella and have a shop mount them for you. Otherwise you could try to retrofit a set of Blazers into the OE foglights but that is a lot of work. A couple of the GenIII guys have done similar work and it turned out nice. Just keep in mind that the foglights really don't help light up the road more than 15' in front of the car.

comatoes likes this.
  18. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you know of any bulbs I could swap in so I don't get the ugly yellow fog light color below my stock HIDs and might put out some extra light?

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only way to really match HIDs is to use LEDs but those don't produce any usable light. Well, the the foglights in general don't produce any usable light so they might was well look good. LOL

20. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ha! True they are totally useless.