1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bleed needed when changing coolant valve?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cbird02, Oct 26, 2020.

1. cbird02

cbird02 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Getting ready to change my coolant control valve on my 2009. I am ordering hose clamps to close off all three coolant hoses before R&R. Do I need to bleed the coolant loop if I use the clamps?

2. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i just did mine this past weekend. I also attempted to use two clamps and a vice grip. would have worked out fine except the vice grip (the easiest of clamps was not tight enough. I lost a lot of fluid in the process. Even so, I captured it in a drain pan and after I was done, I slowly added a similar amount of fresh coolant directly to the radiator and topped off the expansion tank. Went for a drive, heat on. Later topped off the radiator and expansion tank. I think all is good now. During the first drive I heard a rush of bubbles inside the dash, but nothing since right after startup.

3. Prius717

Prius717 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious on this, have to replace my valve as well.

4. cbird02

cbird02 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I was going to buy these at Harbor Freight. I will get two of them if needed just in case the smaller ones won't work. I am thinking I can use the 1 3/4" and the 1" but the others will be too small. What size are the hoses?

Fluid Line Clamp Set, 4 Pc.

5. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I tried clamps but they were leaking. So I emptied as much coolant as needed and after replacement of the valve I used the tool below to fill up the coolant system and bleed it.

6. cbird02

cbird02 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Pretty cool toy. I am curious - what clamps did you use?

7. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The clamps were plastic with screws and they stopped 90% of flow but not completely. I wouldn’t mind but the problem was when I was under the car coolant was leaking everywhere. Much better to let it drain in a bucket before you work on the valve.

8. cbird02

cbird02 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I am going to opt for the repair from the top, loosening and propping up the inverter. Hopefully, the metal clamps will stop 100%. I will report back next weekend after repair.

9. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did the same and took out the two hoses from the top but then took out the third from the bottom. I had the car on ramps just in case. Since I was under and nothing was holding the valve I lowered it from under the car. It could be done from the top as many have done. Good luck!