1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bleeding 05 Prius brakes the old fashion way

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dmphilli, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Priusaurus110

Priusaurus110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, I know this post started in 2012. But I have to say that even after 15 years of owning my 2005 Prius, the PriusChat family is the best!
    I was a bonehead and attempted a standard brake bleed, on this non-standard brake system, to prepare the car for my two teenagers to learn to drive. Like the OP, dmphilli, I ended up with the ABS, VSC, and Brake warning lights, partial brake action, and locking brakes. As I shopped around for a bidirectional OBD scanner that cost less than $500, and debating whether to just get the car towed to the Toyota dealer, I came across this post.
    The instructions worked perfectly on the first try. I still have no idea how dmphilli figured out this non-intuitive solution. But dmphilli, thank you very much! I will always prefer a 2 cent paperclip solution to a $500 OBD scanner solution.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the third gen Repair Manual, there's two instructions for brake bleed (also useful for brake fluid change): with AND without Techstream. It's symptomatic of a company that regularly "steps in it", especially regarding DIY, then plays catch up. Another example:

The third gen front/centre jacking point is about 16" in from the front of the car. With fourth gen, it's about 4 feet, maybe more...

3. Mdwxl3

Mdwxl3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you PriusChat and thank you dmphilli! I was at my end with trying to bleed the rear brakes. I had just changed both brake cylinders and was trying the old school way of bleeding and was getting nowhere. Had all the red service lights on that had to do with malfunctioning brakes and after spending many hours to get them to bleed, I called it quits and told the wife will have to take it in to Toyota. And after putting all the tools way and getting all cleaned up, I decided to take a shot and look for a solution online and would you know I came across PriusChat and found my answer!!!! Now my brakes are working better than ever! This process worked perfectly and brakes are working great. And it all started with a paperclip. Thanks again!

PriusCamper likes this.