1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bleeding Brakes/ABS/Master Cylinder with scan tool: What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Anon Adderlan, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Anon Adderlan

Anon Adderlan New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    2004 Prius.

Already have a drain pan, correct wrenches, over 64oz of Dot 3 brake fluid, a new fully charged battery, and tubes which fit all the brake bleeder valves..

What else should I have at the ready before attempting this operation? How will I know the system has been sufficiently bled? What potential complications can I expect? What is the worst case failure scenario? And is there anything I should know that I may not know I need to know?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Be very careful never to let the reservoir level get low enough to draw new air in. Watch it carefully, and ideally invite a buddy or two to keep watching it when your eyes are off it.

In the parts of the bleed sequence where fluid is being pumped out, it can drop fast.

3. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The process is simple if you follow the Techstream instructions. There are a couple of tips:
    1. You need to identify the two relays that need to be removed at some point. See photo at HOW TO : Replace Front Brake Pads and Discs (Rotors) Prius Gen 2 | PriusChat
    2. The brake fluid will come clear out of the hoses at some point. Then you know you are done from that bleeder.
    3. You need some grease around the bleeder threads so no air comes in and show bubbles in your clear hose.
    4. Use a small container to collect fluid so every 6 oz so you get up and refill the reservoir.
    5. Do not run the actuator more than 30 sec but if you use the 6 oz rule you will not anyway.
    6. You may not need a second person with a Mitivac vacuum system but it becomes more complicated. The front brakes can be slowly bled without anyone pumping the brakes when you vacuum. I think there is a risk to the actuator this way. You need to improvise and add a weight to the pedal to do the rear brakes.
    The brake fluid change is the most important maintenance on the Prius since protects the brake actuator, one of the three “over thousand dollar” Prius repairs. The other one is cleaning the hybrid fan to protect the hybrid battery and the third most expensive repair is the stolen catalyst in some states like CA.