1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bleeding brakes & too much fluid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davidude, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi all, my 05' has reached 189k miles. The brakes have recently become very spongey, and there is a clear delay between me pushing the brake and the pressure actually pushing the calipers down. I had the brakes looked at this morning and I put some new pads on that I had sitting around. The new pads make it brake very well, but there is still a delay in the braking.

From my quick search online, I can only bleed the brakes at a dealership, due to the Prius relying on their diagnostic equipment to set it up. Is that correct? I can bleed brakes, but my search told me there's valves and shit, and it's basically impossible to do solo without spending thousands on computer equipment. I'm also interested what they should charge to bleed the brakes, they feel like shit although they grip very very well when the pressure reached the calipers.

While the tech replaced & inspected my brakes & brake pads, he topped off the brake fluid. He filled it way over the max line. Will this prove any problems? Any advice on removing it?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm at a point where I need a lot of wearable parts to be replaced, at least both front outer tie rods.

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Siphon out until the max line. I had that overfilled condition on one car. It made the driver side front wheel HOT, because upon heating up/expanding the fluid had nowhere to go except constantly press the pads into the rotor...

moto g(7) power ?