1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bleeding engine coolant: Where do I connect the bleed hose to?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mark Lopez, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seem like I bought a Prius that had the radiator replaced with an aftermarket radiator. I guess some of the new ones don’t come with the bleed nipple that is connected to the hex key to bleed out air. Anyone know how I’d bleed the air out on this type of aftermarket radiator? I’ve attached photos of the missing part on the radiator where the bleed hose would connect to that is missing. Thank

Attached Files:

2. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would suggest using the Lisle No Spill Funnel or an Airlift or both. Without the air bleed you are likely to have to repeat the bleeding process a couple of times after the heat up/cool down cycles.

3. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s strange because it does have the hex key to bleed the system, but there is nowhere to connect the bleed hose. Does the lisle no spill funnel prevent the need to bleed the system?

4. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Lisle funnel does aid in the bleeding process but it does not prevent the need to bleed the system. The Airlift IMO, is the closest thing to a complete system air evacuation and fluid replacement tool. That being said and having used both the Lisle funnel and Airlift on my Pri you are still left bleeding the final bits of air out of the cooling systems by the well documented process and techniques here on PC or Youtube vids.

In your case you will likely just have to crack the hex key to bleed the rad and let the coolant run into a catch pan. I wouldn't suspect you will waste to much coolant but certainly some.