1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bleeding the cooling system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ozymandias, May 12, 2012.

1. ozymandias

ozymandias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to change the water pump on my 04 tomorrow. The repair manual says to make the pump run with the diagnostic tool. I don't have this tool, but I came across this procedure. Does anyone know if this will do the same thing?

Is there some other way to do it?

Thanks

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you changing the engine water pump or the inverter water pump?

3. ozymandias

ozymandias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Engine water pump. I wasn't sure if the video I posted was for the inverter or the engine.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The concept of shorting the CHRS relay switched terminals to run the CHRS pump is valid; I believe that I was the first to post that concept on PriusChat. If you do a search you will find my detailed how-to.

5. ozymandias

ozymandias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It worked pretty well...I had the system fully bled in about 30-45 minutes I think. After one heat cycle it took just a tiny bit more coolant and it's done.

The repair manual says to close the bleeder valve and the radiator cap when cycling the CHRS pump, but since the engine isn't running I found that I didn't really need to do that...after the first couple of times I just left the radiator cap off when I ran the pump and nothing splashed out.