1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blind Spot Monitor Fault BSM

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by chamkila, Jun 16, 2018.

1. chamkila

chamkila Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Guys where are the sensors located, Mine just got a fault. Maybe the sensors need a cleaning before I go to toyota so they can take it look at it. Its still under warranty.

Thanks again.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The ultrasonic sensors are on the left and right sides of the rear bumper, shown as item ⑥ in parts catalog Figure 84-17, Clearance & Back Sonar, and in the illustration on page 326 of the Owner’s Manual (PDF).

krmcg likes this.
  3. chamkila

chamkila Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you. Is it underneath the bumper because the bumper is smooth. And I can't see it

4. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Ultrasonics are highly unreliable in high wind speeds (e.g. travelling at speed), and probably don't have the range to cover the distance required. I think the Blind Spot Monitor uses radar modules behind the corners of the rear bumper...

Supporting source: 2016 Prius - the next generation of Toyota's technology ambassador - Toyota

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s a good point. The radar sensors, at about the same locations on the sides of the rear bumper, are shown with Part Name Code 88172 in the second image for parts catalog Figure 84-01, Switch & Relay & Computer.

6. Fester

Fester Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes they are radars located in each side rear quarter panels. I'm pretty sure the radars are sealed well against the panels on the inside surface, so unless the outside surface of the panels is covered with a lot of mud or dust, thats probably not the problem.

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the handbook advises keeping the rear quarter panels clean at all times for them to work consistently well.

kithmo likes this.