1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmmm....well, the voltage drop being 50 mV for the bad module and 30 mV for the good one, across the same load and at the approximate same open circuit voltage, shows that the internal resistance of the bad module is almost twice as high as the other one. Now, some of the other numbers I am not too sure about, since I don't see how to get a 2.23 amp current out of a 10 Ohm load with a 7.5V battery.

By the way, the upper limit before getting a bad block code is 0.1 Ohm for two modules in series.

Anyway, academics aside, I'm very glad to hear that the car is running well!

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    7.5V over 10ohms gives less than an ampere of current - seems too small a current to load the module to give good answers. How about loading with 1 ohm 100W resistor (or 10 of the 10 ohms 10W in parallel)?

3. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok bobo .12 ohms

4. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok, let me try again, bad math! bad module v=7.44v, v@resistor=7.39v , a diff of.05v , in a series circuit we know total voltage=the sum of all the voltage at each resistor,so internal v=.05v, now I@ resistor=2.23A, and we know that in a series circuit current stays the same at each resistor. so internal I=2.23 also. so to find internal resistance we use R=.05v/2.23A R=.02ohms , good module v=7.62v, v@resistor=7.59 a diff of .03v I=2.33A so R=.03/2.33=.01ohms . So bad modules internal R is double ! The resistor read 9.8 ohms with the fluke. It was rated 10ohm 10W max voltage of 350v , i have no idea why i read the amperage i do, but if u use ohms law I=V/R I=350/9.8 I=35.7 then using P=IxV P=35.7x350 P=12495W. So yes i am very confused on that note , but ignoring the resistors rateing and useing what my meter tells me the rest of the math makes sense,once again confirming the bad module ! I hope this cleared some things up. thanks

5. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    seilerts, thank u for the (hmmmmm...well) i know what u were thinking! By the way all my testing is done equally to each module in equal time,so i should have some true values for u over time. And to 09 prius, yes i agree , i am starting from the basics,begining back with ohms law,when u dont use it u loose it! In the apprenticeship i was top of my class (doesnt say much does it?) We were taught series , parallel, and combo circuits but never that a battery was not a pure emf, for an electrician that would have gone too far!!!so im learning! and to freydnot ill take the hit. lol

6. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To first order, you can model this as two resistors in series: your 10 ohm load, and the internal resistance of the battery. V=open circuit, i=current, R=10 ohm resistor, Rb=internal resistance, Vb=voltage drop. Maybe JeffD can check my math...

V = i (R + Rb)
    Vb = i*Rb

Two equations, two unknowns. Eliminating the current,

Rb = R*Vb/(V+Vb)

For the bad one, Rb = 10*.05/(7.55) = 0.066 ohm
    For the less bad one, Rb = 10*0.03/7.55 = .04 ohm.

Soooooo.... Toyota spec being .1 ohm or less for internal resistance of the block pair, this pair fails with .106 ohms.

1 person likes this.
  7. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been reading this post and I am very grateful to all who have contributed to this discussion and the "need help hv battery" thread.
    I also have a bad module(P03018) in my 2006 prius and will start working on it this Sunday. I purchased some modules from jdenenberg which should be coming next week sometime. This thread is great because I will be doing the same thing no trust did. I will probably be asking some questions also when I get into mine but this and other postings here answer a lot of the ones I had. Thanks again.

8. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No problem. be sure to pay attention to how the orange hv service plug is installed. Not pushing the handle all the way down is the #1 mistake.

9. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will. I have seen a number of posts about that. Thanks

10. Angel209

Angel209 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model: