1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blinking TPMS, Gone After OBD, but No Code?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sung Woo, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    2007 here, 175K miles. Yesterday driving back, the TPMS light came on, blinking for about a minute and then steady. Didn't realize it was a battery thing. So to make sure, I hooked up the OBD to see the code. No code. And the TPMS light went off.

I'm guessing the light will come back on -- but why no failure code?

2. Tech Tips

Tech Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't know why there is no failure code, but it looks like you may have a dead battery on one of your TPMS sensors.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tire pressures ok?

4. JK919

JK919 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same thing on my 08. It's likely a dead battery, as they last about 10 years.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I lost one at 9.5-yrs and the others still going almost 12-yrs in July.

If you reset the TPMS codes, that temporarily turns out the warning lights.
    After that it takes about a 30-minute drive for the system to re-calibrate and throw the warning light again. But looks like you got a dead batt.

I use Techstream so you can read the pressures and see the "NA" when you got dead batt. I think this throws an error code in Techstream but maybe your device is not seeing it?

6. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm kinda torn about replacing these. I just ordered new tires from Costco, nice Michelins for $360, including install (they're running a sale right now). I probably should replace all four TMPS sensors since all the batteries must be ring running out of juice. But it's gonna cost $240 for all four. Even if I take the Amazon route, it's still gonna be at least $50 after paying for an install.

Did you guys with this issue go for this expensive replacement? Or are you living without the sensor? This is my first car with TPMS, and it's not like I couldn't deal with the great unknown of tire pressure before having this feature. Though at the same time, I do like having it...

7. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for this. I'm using an old copy of OBDwiz...I wonder if it shows the pressure codes?

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well here's what I did, not that I recommend it for this case.
    TPMS Management with Techstream | PriusChat

I found a way to fake a reading...so I bought one new TMPS and had that installed. That gave me one spare TPMS I put in the glove compartment. in a big binder clip. So basically I am covering 3 out of 4 tires, and the light is off.

>>What you could do better in your case, is figure out which tire is bad, and just replace that one TPMS.
    Keep the old one if you are electronically handy you might be able to replace the battery with some tear down.

I am surprised they are charging so much for the install when you are supplying the units. Sounds like they are not passing the saving onto you. But replacing all 4 is thing to do.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No probably not. If you own a ScanGuageII, they recently added the Prius tire pressure/temp readings, but you have to send your unit in for software update.

Many of us use Toyota Techstream knock-off which was available for $20 to $40 on Amazon or EBay. Not sure status today.

10. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Sorry, I should've clarified...Costco charges $60 a tire to install a new sensor. I think they charge $15 if you bring your own, but I'm not sure about that. I assume they wouldn't warranty it either if you brought your own, so the safer thing would be to have them do it with their own equipment.

I'm leaning toward not replacing them...$240 is a lot!

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...up to you...$240 is not a bad price, much cheaper than Toyota I think. But you could find cheaper.
    You need to consider NJ state inspection...Virginia we are allowed to have TPMS warning light on.
    I used to live in South Jersey, but that was pre-TPMS.

NJ seems to be not required.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I was in a State where license renewal did not require functional tpms, I'd leave it be. OTOH, I think there's federal legislation, that tire shops are obligated to send you on your way with functional tpms? Maybe there are work arounds, tires mounted on loose rims for example.

Think I even heard the shops were asking customers to come into the shop do some final step or something, so that it could technically be the customer's responsibility. In short, total Monty Python stuff.

Maybe whats need is some more legislation (groan) that says the tpms system needs to be readily programmable by the owner, without the need for proprietary software or expensive devices.

padroo likes this.
  13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tire rack installed my new TPMS sensors and did not charge me. I did not buy them from them.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yup, looks like NJ doesn't require it for inspection, so I'll see if Costco will do the tire install without forcing me to buy a new sensor (or two or four). Thank you all for your help here -- I really appreciate it!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think if you can manage to show up there with loose wheels* that'd improve your odds. That's pretty much what I always do: get OEM wheels retired when snow tires are on the car, and vice versa. Up here there's no reg's AFAIK, but I just prefer that approach.

* I mean "loose" as in transported in another vehicle, or in your hatch if you have alternate rims. Not on the car with loose lug nuts, lol.

16. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Folks, I got my tires done and they're great - and Costco didn't say boo about my TPMS. I did have them do the TPMS service pack for $12 for all 4, which I always do.

One thing the rep asked me was if I ever had my lug nuts replaced. I've never heard of this before -- is it really necessary? I have 175K miles and bought the car with 92K. I'm fairly certain the lug nuts were not replaced by the previous owner. He said you're supposed to have them replaced every 100K miles.

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Never heard of replacing lug nuts at 100,000 miles, it's not in the maintenance schedule. If it was why not replace all the studs too?

18. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You know, now that you mention it, I think he said both lug nuts and studs. I thought it was strange, too...glad to hear it's not some must-change thing I forgot about...

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not thinking the law states tire installers have to give you working TPMS.
    But they are not allowed to disable the system.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring