1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blizzaks -- funny thing about these snow tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevewoods, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have read a fair amount about the various advantages and disadvantages of the Bridgestone Blizzaks.

One of the things I keep seeing is the Blizzak "only" has it's special multi-cell compound for about 55 percent of the tread and after that, the "special traction" is gone.

Well, after that first 55 percent, according to Bridgestone, the remaining 45 percent of the tread is "typical winter tire material." So, not such a major disaster.

Also, when the "special" 55 percent is gone, the Blizzak is worn down to 6/32nd of tread left, the "magic" point where all tire makers say you should replace ANY winter tire anyway.

So, my Blizzaks are just a smidge over 6/32nd of tread left. I was going to swap them out tommorrow and put on my all seasons, but am thinking of just leaving them on for the summer and replacing them with Blizzak W90s in November rather than try to make it through another winter with them.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like a plan.