1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Blizzard pearl white' color extra charge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Stevebh, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Stevebh

Stevebh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Want to buy a Prius in white, but the only white offered is the Blizzard Pearl White. Extra charge $395.00. Was told it is a three step process to paint compared to the other colors that are a simpler process. Anyone have any luck avoiding that extra cost for white?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've not heard of anyone getting it for 'free' unless you just negotiate the price down by the amount of the paint, then in a sene you could feel its free. $300 is rather cheap for a pearl white. Many other manufacturers charge WAY more. White diamond tricoat on a Volt is like $995 more...

I had the Blizzard Pearl on my 2010 and trust me, it's a beautiful color even if it does cost just $300 more.

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are horror stories out there concerning paint repair. Before I would consider that color, I would get some feedback from car owners with that color that were unfortunate victims of fender benders. Usually a one panel repair turns into a full side panel paint repair. A lot of times insurance companies balk at these scenarios. JMO.

4. Stevebh

Stevebh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your perspectives. Really wish Toyota offered a California poppy flower(deep yellow) color. May settle for red although I prefer light colors for safety and ability to hid a dirty car.

5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two very good points. My good friend bought his in the Pearl White and paid an additional $200. His is a 2012. $395 seems like the dealer is taking advantage of the customers. Before you buy you might want insist on seeing the original invoice. If they don't want to reveal it, I would be inclined to believe they were trying to squeeze the proverbial turnip.

6. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our Prius is blizzard white, and I had no idea it cost more. We just negotiated the final total price out of the door. FWIW, Prius option 3, NAV, backup camera, sunroof, solar panel. Out of door in S. CA $29k.

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That why I suggested getting a look at the original invoice. If there are any factory options they should be on the Monronni label. Any dealer added options must be added to the bottom of the window sticker and indicated as such.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $395 is MSRP (manufacturers suggested retail price) at the dealer. That's not taking advantage of the customer. Everything is negotiable but MSRP is MSRP. Charging over MSRP would be taking advantage of the customer unless the market dictates otherwise.

9. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's fine if the price of an option is in the window label as part of the MSRP. What ever the market will bear is the American way. I'm just saying, if the dealer is bumping up the price above the MSRP, you would be advised to shop elsewhere.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a 3-coat paint and really sparkles in the sun.

At least Toyota doesn't charge extra for metallic paint like some companies do.

11. Stevebh

Stevebh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, the price I was quoted here in the Sacramento area (face to face with salesman) was $22,600,(base trim level- called Two) any color besides the Bliz white, floor mats included, before tax, license, doc. fee etc. $22,900 in Bliz white. I did see an internet special advertised at $22,468(blue) but don't know if there are strings attached or games to be played. Thanks all. Look forward to owning a Prius soon.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck Steve. Check Magnussen's Toyota in Auburn. Talk to "Fish" or Andy Guerrero. Tell them Justin from PriusChat sent you and see if they will work you a deal. It doesn't hurt to ask. :)

If you let me know you are going for sure I can call them beforehand and let them know you are interested.