1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block heater failed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yesterday morning I plugged in the block heater on our 2010 Prius. Luckily I had the hood up for an oil check, because about a minute later I started hearing a popping sound, smelled something burning and a bit of smoke.

Luckily it subsided quickly, before I even got to unplugging it; guess it ended up as an "open" circuit. No household breakers tripped either.

I phoned local dealership parts department, asking about price and availability of the block heater. They kindly checked if there was any outstanding service bulletins or whatever, but there isn't. Anyway, there are blockheaters coming in about 2 weeks, and he reserved one for me: $90 CDN.

I decided to try to remove the one installed, both to see that I could do it, and to verify it was failed, and how. I opted to leave the wipers and cowl as-is, try to reach it mostly from below. With a little help from the internet I managed to extract it.

Some observations:

1. The electrical wires failed directly beyond the plug into the block heater heating element. I unwrapped the white tape at the junction, it was somewhat brittle. The inside is black with soot, and has a burnt smell.

2. The plug into the heating element seems to pretty much welded on, and the plastic of the elbow connector is brittle/fragile. I only pried it up slightly before it started coming apart, so I stopped, left it thus.

3. Both the bore and the heating element look perfectly clean. There's no evidence of heat transfer grease. Not even the very tip of the heating element.

We got this installed at time of purchase ($400 charge). We've used it very regularly, for going on nine years now. I'm a little concerned about the clean appearance, doubt the heat transfer grease could have completely vapourized and left the element completely clean looking.

I also have an ongoing concern, that a replacement block heater might do the same thing, down the road, and we wont be so lucky.

Tempering that thought: maybe the heat transfer grease was never applied, and this meant it was working less efficiently, and lead to the overheating and failure??

upload_2019-9-24_13-32-10.png
    upload_2019-9-24_13-32-39.png
    upload_2019-9-24_13-33-4.png
    upload_2019-9-24_13-33-29.png
    ^ perfectly clean, as it came out.

Anyway, emailed the above story to the Service Manager, and he got back to me: they will spring for the cost of replacement block heater, and they would like the old one, want Toyota to have a look. (My paranoid side: they want to destroy the evidence?)

Anyway, I'll give that go. I'm a little gun-shy actually, don't want to incinerate my car and/or burn down the house...

Some info:
    old p/n: PU140-00900
    new p/n: PU140-00905 (hopefully improved)

Techno-Fandom block heater install link:

3rd-gen block heater

Toyota info attached:

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the low tonite in vancouver is 53f :cautious:

dig4dirt and RMB like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey I gave that block heater a work out. :whistle:

Here's a great video for showing the Toyota block heater location. It's explained in the first minute or two, and then he rambles on. Very peaceful voice though, if you need a nap. :)

#3 Mendel Leisk, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    RMB likes this.
  4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    They'll pay for the new one - That's cool. It certainly doesn't look like there was grease applied on the original, which probably led to the overheating. Did you feel anything grease-like when you removed it?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That missing goo is heat-transfer compound, not grease! It isn't a lubricant.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great share. How many miles on her?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, it was dry as a bone. And very clean, not like something was there, but dribbled out over time.

Yeah I'm just using Toyota's terminology. From the attachment:

upload_2019-9-24_16-31-46.png

84K kms, roughly 53K miles. We've used that block heater a lot, pretty much before every cold-start.

CR94 and Robert Holt like this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, I heavily used mine in the winter (although my case, the hybrid technician at my preferred dealer didn't like the way my original/home dealer installed the block heater lol.).

Too bad I sold my Gen 3. Would've been nice to see what the state of my EBH was.

Well better now than in the middle of winter when there's a backlog of parts.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I just call it what Toyota calls it.
    From the attached Block Heater installation procedure:

upload_2019-9-25_7-17-44.png

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's the low in the middle of winter, 40?:p

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking installing a block heater on my PRIME at some point, but after reading this thread I now have a second thought.:(

Thanks for sharing the information.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When we went to Vancouver in 2010 for the olympics, the day time high was around 50:).

They had to truck in snow for Whistler to have snow pack:eek:.

Climates nice here on the best coast(y).

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I use it year 'round.

bisco likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think it's that practical on a Plug-In, would be most effective on days where you commence driving in hybrid mode. If you pre-heat the coolant, but then drive 20~30 miles electric-only, most of the heat will dissipate?

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I wanted to boost winter morning drive in which I have to use ICE to heat up the car. But, I have never had a car with a block heater, even though I have lived in northern states where the average winter temp is far colder than your region. So, I don't know how effective a block heater would be on PRIME. Oh, I did once own a car with a battery (12V) heater though.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Earlier Priuschat discussion, on the efficacy of the heat-transfer "gel": Post #3 is a little troublesome, @efusco notes that he installed his block heater with the heat grease, and when he removed it two years later the grease was more-or-less gone.

Enigne block heater gel | PriusChat

Our Honda block heaters were always immersion type, didn't have that issue. OTOH, block heater install spilled a lot of coolant. :(

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found coolant temperatures plateau around 25~30C above ambient. That typically takes around 2 hours, a bit more in cold winter mornings. That basically gives you a "leg up" on warm up, and gives the engine an easier time I'd think.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Warmer coolant would certainly be easier on ICE starting in subzero winter morning (-17C or lower). The problem is that I will have to increase our current circuit to accommodate both battery charging and block heater at the same time 2-3 hours before my morning departure. I guess, I could stagger the charge schedule to finish bit earlier, but still that is a concern and more choir for me to plug and unplug every day.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The block heater can be plugged into a timer (wall mounted at the outlet), then run an extension cord. That helps with the plug in, at least.

Speaking of extension cords, it's good to consider what will happen if you forget to unplug; it will happen eventually. Make sure the extension cord is secured on something, and the block heater cord will pull out easily, and is also well secured so it won't end up dragging on the ground.

I've broken all of the above rules... :oops:

Salamander_King likes this.
  20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. BUT in my case, the outside receptacles are on one circuit. If I want to use different circuit, I would have to plug in inside receptacle. That means propping open the entrance door or window for the extension cord. Not a good idea for security reason and when the outside temp is subzero. ;)

BUT I can see why it is important to have secure extension cord. Too bad it can not be fitted with some warning system similar to the plug-in cord.

Mendel Leisk likes this.