1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block heater source?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hobbit, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 21 2006, 06:47 PM) [snapback]307076[/snapback]</div>

I think that jayman's response with the link to Evan's "ordeal" is about as good as I can put it. If there is any doubt in your abilities then I would err on the side of caution and pay someone to do the work for you. It really is quite a task.

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The install is easy if you have small hands, I did two within an hour at a Chicago Prius meet-up.

Jesse, is this the same as the original Toyota Canada part or is this a pull-the-freeze-plug type?

Wayne

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Aug 22 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]307444[/snapback]</div>
    Wayne

I didn't think a "real" block heater was made for that motor. A local maker of block heaters - Temro - claims in their catalog the Prius/Echo must use the dealer heater

Temro is a big outfit here, they make coolant heaters even for big rigs and stationary equipment

jay

4. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Aug 22 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]307444[/snapback]</div>

This is the pull the freeze plug type from what I can gather. Previous ones I have ordered have been that way and I am ordering from the same outlet as before. I will leave another post once they have arrived and let everyone know for sure what they are like.

5. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well here is what I have been able to figure out about the block heaters. They come with very basic install instructions. They are packaged in Toyota of Canada boxes. You do not have to pull a freeze plug. There should be a port on the drivers side of the engine block that it plugs into. It mostly warms the block but will indirectly warm the coolant. I spoke with one of the Technicians in our service department and he said that it would mostly warm the block but that there is most likely a water jacket in close vicinity to the port and that the coolant in that area would warm also. I know that there are some who really want a coolant heater and this may not be what you are looking for, but this is the only source that I have to get the heaters.

6. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jesse you have the correct type that we are all looking for. The "port" on the engine is actually more on the passenger side.

Wayne

Edit: Just ordered mine from Jesse.

7. Metro

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought that I had ordered enough for the interest that I had received previously. However it appears that I may have underestimated how many people would be contacting me about this item. If more of you are thinking that this is a must have item, then I will place another order. Please just email me and let me know. I can get the heaters for the classic prius also for the same price.

09/18/2006
    There has been enough interest for me to place another. There are a few names already on the list so if anyone was still interested please contact me directly. I am looking for around 5 more people before I order.

09/22/06
    Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest. I will be making 09/28/06 the new cutoff for the current order. If interest is still high after that I will do another order again soon after. Unfortunately the price will be going up for the next round. I am not sure of what the price will be yet, but I would guess somewhere in the area of $45.00 plus shipping. So if you want to save money get in now, there is no limit to how many you can purchase and no limit to the number of people. I just have to cut it off somewhere so that people do not have to wait forever to get them. Again please send an email to me that includes Name, Address, Telephone Number and the year of your Prius. Once you do that you will be on the list and I will contact you again later once the heaters are in. At that point payment will be due. Credit card payment is preferred, but personal checks, cashiers checks, and money orders will also be accepted. They will hold the order up to allow for the funds to clear and then the order will be shipped once that has happened. Again if there are any other questions please email me and I will get back to you timely. Thanks.

8. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Aug 28 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]310729[/snapback]</div>
    If so, I put mine in the wrong place. I would say it is just to the drivers side of the centerlineof the car. The cable comes up to the left (driver's) side from the center of the engine compartment. The hole faces the left side of the car. Whatever hole I put it in, it seemed to work fine last winter. There was a great post by oly_57mpg in November 2005 with photos showing the layout. One of them is sort of backwards and could lead you to think the hole is on the passenger side, but look at the last photo for a good view. There were several large threads on intallation back them. Dig through this thread and you should find the photos I'm talking about:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11176&hl=oly_57mpg

EDIT: looked myself. Lots of discussion, but the photos seem to be missing (blank squares with a little red "x")

- Tom

9. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Oct 20 2005, 08:33 PM) [snapback]143499[/snapback]</div>
    Was looking at the old thread... Wondering if the comment above is a good rule of thumb -- if the temperature is 0-F or below, then the block heater is worth looking at? Otherwise, can we assume the benefits are marginal?

10. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Don-RI @ Aug 28 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]310884[/snapback]</div>
    The block heater helps at most winter temperatures. It shortens the warm up time, and
    you have a big warm up time with low mpg even at 50 degrees.

I save money using it at all temperatures under 50 deg F. At 0 degrees I just have to run it longer.
    If I had to choose I'd rather not bother with it at 0 because the car won't warm up enough for good mpg anyways.

Another way to look at it is to check your first 5 min mpg in summer. When it starts dropping you need a block heater.
    I get 35 to 40 in summer for this. In winter it can drop to 20 without a block heater. With it I can keep it up at 35 to 40 all year at temps down to 10 deg F. When it is below 0 I just give up and accept bad mpg, since it only happens a couple of days a year.
    But it all depends how much you are buttoning up the engine to keep it warm for after the block heater has done all it can do.

11. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Aug 28 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]310802[/snapback]</div>

Tom 06 (and others),

When you ran your electrical cable from the block heater up the center on top of the engine, where did you mount the actual plug receptical? I'm curious as I have the block heater on order and wasn't sure if you folks have it under the hood where the hood must be opened to get to the plug or is it in the front grill area? I suppose if under the hood it is a good reminder that the car is "plugged in" when I see the hood open before I start the car but having it available without the hood open is easier to plug in and out!

I wonder how many folks have driven off with the car still "plugged in"!!! :eek:

Thanks. Tom KN6VV

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kn6vv @ Aug 29 2006, 02:02 PM) [snapback]311230[/snapback]</div>
    I, and most of us I think, ran the wire up through the center area under the hood, forward to the radiator area, accross to the passenger side of the radiator, then around the end to exit from the lower grill area (where the fog lights are...the black think slats). The plug part wedges nicely b/w the blades of that grill so it isn't flying around or dragging on the ground.

I've backed out several times after forgetting to unplug. Usually it's of no consequence, a couple times was hard enough to unplug from the wall and 'tweek' the EBH cord. I actually had my plug short out just behind the plug and ended up salvaging a plug from another device and splicing it in as a replacement.

I now have a cord winder b/w the wall and the car. If I start backing up the cord winder scrapes on the floor and is pretty noticable so I stop immediately.

I do recommend installing the cable to avoid any sharp bends in the cord, if possible, b/c that's where it'll break if the angle is acute and gets put under stress.

13. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 29 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]311261[/snapback]</div>
    The cord that came with mine (ordered from Toyota Canada) wasn't long enough to do that. I went straight forward pretty close to centerline, under the black trim piece at the front over the radiator/grill gap, down the middle inside the grill, and over to the lower grill on the driver's side near the fog light. I used a tie tape to keep the cord from getting lost inside the lower grill when I tuck it back in out of the way for the summer. In the winter, the plug is wedged between the grill blades like yours.

I keep a 12" square cardboard sign that says "unplug the block heater!!" on my workbench at the front of the garage. I put it on the driver's side of the windshield -before- I plug in the heater. The heater is on a 7 day timer that powers it on for 3 hours before I go to work on weekdays. I only plug it in if the weather forecast is for 32F or lower overnight.

- Tom

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

my block heater is on every day I work summer and winter. I have a Classic which has no thermos for the coolant. It's on a timer that runs for 2 1/2 hours on the days I work. Just this week I bought a WattsUp Pro and will use it for a month and then I'll know the exact cost of using it. It shows 380 watts on start up and at 2 1/2 hours its at 357 watts and the cost at our electricity rate has cost me 4.3 cents. I think I can live with that summer and winter. I'll update the blockheater thread when I have the complete month cost of my useage. I some times use it on the weekends as well and on those days I just turn on the timer and let it run. Call me a waster but my last tank was 4.8 liter per hundred km's ( 49 mpg US ) with a Classic. Our gas cost me $1.10.9 a liter all commuting to work and back. The ICE starts at about 50-52C and goes into S4 about 7 blocks from home compared to at least 15-16 blocks other wise. Found out the hard way that the BH cord was broken and the 13C start was an eye opener.