1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blocked Heater Core?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jplien, Oct 16, 2012.

1. jplien

jplien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2008 Prius just passed 100k miles, so I changed the engine coolant this weekend (with some help from these forums). Things seemed to go pretty smoothly. I got about 6 quarts out of the three drains, put about 4 quarts in, ran the engine, and then added another ~2 quarts. One thing was puzzling: I ran the heat while I was waiting for the engine to warm up and the air never got hot, even after the radiator fans came on. otherwise everything seemed to be fine and the coolant level in the reserve tank has been steady, so I assumed everything was ok.

It was cold this morning so I turned the heat up on my way into work and got nothing but cold air, even when I eventually turned the temp up to max. I think this means that the heater core is blocked with sediment or maybe an air bubble? Cabin heat was working fine as recently as last week. More worrying is that just at the end of my ~25 minute commute the red triangle of death came on. I turned off the heat and it went out immediately, then flickered on for an instant a few seconds later just before I pulled into my parking space. I didn't see any other warnings so I have no idea what fault it was trying to indicate, but I'm afraid it means that I overheated the engine.

The Haynes book says I should flush the cooling system with water from a hose, but the advice on these forums is not to do that because the heater core doesn't drain properly and I'll end up with water trapped in the heater core (regular non-DI water, no less). Also, I gather that getting at the heater core to determine if it's blocked is not the easiest thing to do.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Do I need to take it to a shop and have them power-flush the system for me?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Check the engine coolant level in the overflow container and the radiator itself, fill as needed.
    2. You may still have air in the plumbing to the cabin heater core. Do you hear air bubbling in the heater core when the cabin heat is turned on?
    3. In that case, make the Prius READY and rev up the engine repeatedly (3,000+ RPM) for several minutes while the cabin heater temp control is set to maximum high temperature and the vent fan is on a high speed. Squeeze the radiator hoses to see if that helps. Do not just allow the engine to idle. The point of revving up the engine is to encourage coolant to flow into the cabin heater core. Listen for air bubbling. As long as you hear that in the heater core then you need to continue to rev the engine.
    4. Periodically check engine coolant level during this process and replenish as needed.
    5. Did you fill the CHRS canister using the process that I posted which requires shorting the CHRS relay contacts?

If that doesn't help then you should seek professional assistance, bringing along Toyota SLLC for the mechanic's use if you are not visiting a Toyota dealer.

jplien likes this.
  3. jplien

jplien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice, Patrick. How easy is it to hear the air bubbling over the engine revving and the blower on high speed?

I had the heater wide open for about 10-15 minutes while driving 65+ mph on the highway this morning, which seems like it would have accomplished the same thing. I didn't hear any bubbling sounds, but I wasn't particularly listening for them either.

4. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    More than likely you still have/had air in the cooling system. If it's not too far down, running on the highway with the heater on max hot, economy for a period of time will often get out the air. If not, using an air lift to fill the system completely will work (that's what I do). The only other alternatives are the one's Patrick already suggested. Just remember to check the level in the coolant container periodically if using the highway method.

jplien likes this.
  5. jplien

jplien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. I ran the engine as suggested and got hot air to blow intermittently. I then realized that the coolant level had dropped. I added another pint or so and now have hot hot heat once again.

Any suggestions for checking the level in the reservoir? The container is so opaque I can't really tell where the fluid level is. I have a hard time even seeing the high-low markings.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I own a 2004 and 2007 and the coolant reservoir in both cars is made of a translucent white plastic which is not too hard to see through. Since it sounds like your reservoir is different, perhaps you can remove the filler cap to look inside.

If it is not obvious where the high mark is, then fill the reservoir to about 1" below the reservoir top.

I suggest that you check the coolant level in the reservoir daily, in the morning before the car is first started up, until you see that the fluid level is stable. You may find that the level continues to drop for a while, if there is any air left in the system.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Air is not trapped in the heater core its trapped in the cyl head. The highest part of the cooling system. Modern cars the engine is higher than the rad. Big trapped air will not allow coolant flow uniformly and will not absorb heat and possibly overheat the cylinder head which is maybe why it threw a code. Prius ice coolant change is tough.

Take cap off rad...not overflow,rad. Jack up front of car as high as you can till rad's above cylinder head. Turn on heater. Run car in inspection mode for half an hour. Pats CHRS paper clip to force on pump is a good idea too.

If you don't do this or use an airlift the air will take forever to dissipate. Dangerous.

8. jplien

jplien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be surprised if the reservoir is not stock, but I'm not the first owner so who knows? Anyway, translucent is a relative term. I can see the fluid faintly, but have a hard time determining where the level is. This is not made easier by the radiator cover and the general crampedness of the engine compartment. Looking in the filler cap isn't very helpful as there is a horizontal divider just below it. I guess a flashlight is the answer, although I saw someone in another thread recommend darkening the high/low lines with magic marker, which I think I will try.

9. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Put a flashlight directly against the container.