1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blocking off the radiator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AlphaTeam, Dec 27, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

gee i didnt know there was 2 versions yet... i have a setup screen where i can change viewing preferences and it is version 2. and i thought i was in the first group of purchasers... oh well...when's version 3 coming out?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

have a look at Norman's site and look at the screen shots. I'm currently running the beta soft ware and so far no bugs. Got a flash loader and set it up so I can update as required. If your up here during the holidays I'd be glad to flash yours.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok sounds good...now do i need a passport to get to Canada?? last time i was there, didnt have a problem...but that was pre 9-11...

4. Frank Hudon

nope you don't need one as long as you have identification that say's your a US citizen.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

hmmm dont really have that... i am a naturalized type... lost that stuff YEARS ago. i have a SSN card...wonder if that will pass me through. dont have a birth certificate...never did. they dont do that in Okinawa

6. Frank Hudon

call your local customs agent they'll tell you what's need to get back in. Doubt that out will be a problem.

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

OK doing it your way here are some actual can view numbers for the thermos start up.
    I shut down last night maybe at around engine 150 F. 65C

Went out at noon today. And temps about 35 F 2C

Start up temps with idling in my driveway:
    Code:
    Eng         41                    60     77     81     118 F
    Code:
    Coolant    60     106max          78     89     93     118 F
    Code:
    Eng           5                    16     25     27     48 C
    Code:
    Coolant    16     41max           26      32     34     48  C

8. Frank Hudon

ok those are virtually the same numbers that I see as well. Thanks! I was begining to suspect that the thermous wasn't working properly but seeing your numbers so close to mine, it's no longer a conceren.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Drivers license is all you really need for the moment but that may be changing in the near future. Having a birth certificate or passport is nice. If you are naturalized there should be some paper work you could take notarized copies.

10. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Last time I went to Canada I was able to get in with a Drivers licence, but going back in the US customs gave me grief for not having a passport. Basiclly yelled at me and said bring one next time.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    problem solved. ordered a flash kit, should be here today

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I was wrong blocking the radiator is a big help. Some people have to experience things for them selves. At our moderate temperatures I get 2-3 mpg difference with the radiator blocked, but the difference is much smaller around 50 F ambient. At above 50 F I am not sure at all that it would make much difference. I am sure that people in colder climates see much bigger differences than I do.

13. Frank Hudon

I would have to agree with your observations on blocking it off over 12-15C just not worth the effort. When it's at 0C it's definatly worth the effort. What I noticed today using the 2k4 was without the block heater and only the thermos to boost the temp I was actually past where my Classic with the block heater and the rad block reaches 87C by about 1/4Km. So I still think use every advantage you can to boost the mileage. Classic: block heater and rad block, G2: block heater and thermos and rad block. Now on to those who deal with really cold weather, use every thing you can to get all the benifit you can, the heater and the HV battery will reward you.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    starting December 31, 2006 all travelers from US to Canada must have a valid passport. no exceptions. its not required right now and people are getting off with a warning but that is stopping soon enough

15. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i'm using pexi glass from home depot and it works great! now i'll never have to worry about it getting wet ever again! In 0 degrees C the engine gets hot enough to reach 100 degrees C in which the radiator fan begins to turn on, although in these cold weathers its easy just to turn on the heater and rob that heat for the passenger compartment. Now the winters are nothing... except I need some actual snow tires and am hanging for dear life with these no treads all seasons....

Phil 2k3 (58000 + miles)

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i have done the cheap radiator block solution. just got some pipe insulation and blocked off all the openings in the front. have done a few 100 mile trips will no ill effects.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition to all the other winter prep, I semipermanently blocked
    off the top grille by tying in some hunks of coroplast, and today
    made an "optional" flap for the lower one -- it falls down horizontal
    inside that big space and doesn't block unless pulled up and tied,
    whereupon it closes most of the lower grille except for those two
    little end pieces. That should still help when it's wikkid cold.
    _H*

18. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I took a political sign made of coroplast and cut out a piece 37" by 4.5 inches and tied it over the bottom front vent. I covered it with black tape so it wouldn't look silly. I didn't block the top so that the outside temperaure reading would still work.

My ScanGuage is showing near summer operating temperatures, but never over 200 degrees. My gas mileage remains in the low 50's just like summer even though the outside temp is near freezing. I reach 160 degrees of coolant temp in about five blocks of driving. Of course, the block heater helps, too. I have little highway driving (no more than 50 miles at a time).

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there have been many many people with earlier models compatible with other monitors that did a complete radiator block and have had no ill effects. granted, city driving thru its ICE on-off nature helps, but there have also been reports of reasonably long highway drives (over an hour at a time) where only normal temps where achieved even in relatively mild weather.

we are having much colder than normal snap here (if anyone saw monday night football...ya that us in Western WA...) but normally, the mid 40's is typical here

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: Blocking off a portion of the radiator??... Sounds like a "Stone Age" concept, like I might have utilized on my first car: A well-used 1931 Model A Ford 2-door sedan. Of course, I have lived in fairly mild climates most of my life. Once in perhaps 8-10 years we will have 10 successive days of 15º - 30º temperatures and in the same year 10-15 days of temperatures over 100º Since the Prius ICE doesn't run that much, it's difficult to understand why one would benefit from blocking part of the radiator.