1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blocking off the radiator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AlphaTeam, Dec 27, 2005.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 28 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]354870[/snapback]</div>
    Thankfully, not everyone lives in Texas. In some climates, blocking part of the radiator makes perfect sense.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 28 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]354870[/snapback]</div>

I think you're right, to a degree. The blocking of the "radiator" doesn't do much as regards the radiator itself....ie, if the ICE temp is cold the thermostat closes and no coolant circulates thus the cool fluid in the radiator isn't circulated through the ICE.

But, the part you're not seeing is that blocking the radiator "Intakes" blocks cold air from entering the engine compartment itself....one of the main causes of rapid ICE cooling. IOW, we're blocking off part of the air circulating around the ICE.

Also, I've gone and added some fiberglass insulation around the ICE to further reduce radient heat loss. I'm even contemplating trying to block off the undercarriage where the ICE is to prevent some of that cold air from getting in...but blocking off the lower radiator grill seems to do a fair job of that on its own.

I'm able to observe a significantly diminished drop in ICE temp during long glides with that blocked off.

3. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 28 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]354870[/snapback]</div>
    Things made of metal which are exposed to more widely differing ranges of temperature are stressed a little more. The hybrid components operate best when they are at or above 160 degrees. Cold air in the engine room means they are not working at their best.

It is not a question of whether or not the car will function. It is a question of whether we are giving the car the best we can because if we do, the car will give us back the best it can.

Where you live, Charles, it is not nearly as big a deal.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Nov 28 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]354905[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Allannde,

Copper wire (and most any other metalic wire) will have higher resistance at higher temperatures. So, from that one would think that need is for a colder transaxle as both motor-generators will be more lossy. But, from what I have read in the reports from the National Laboratories, the transaxle is more efficient at higher temps. This is apparently due to the losses due to the lubricants. There are so many synergies in the Prius, there was bound to be at least one anti-synergy.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So, for those of us who are genetically engineered to F*** things up, could someone please post a picture of what and how they have blocked their air intake? or radiator? and with what? For me at least, this is one of those time when a picture is worth a thousand words..... thanks ya'll.

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Nov 28 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]355075[/snapback]</div>
    No pics I could find, but there's a good description of the foam-pipe-insulation-grill business here:

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/2005-prius.10773.html

When I lived in a cold climate, I used to take some scrap aluminum sheet or whatever was handy and cover about half the radiator when the temperature was steadily below 25 F. I'd fasten it with some wire or long small bolts and fender washers. Cardboard or anything else would have worked as well, too.

7. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Nov 28 2006, 06:11 PM) [snapback]355075[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Rangerdavid

As I said, a piece of coroplast measuring 37" by 4.5" is the size needed to cover the bottom grill without covering the fog lights. These three pictures show mine:

Well, one came through. I will try again.

I'll try one more time

I try to make a new post and it just edits my old post. Sorry about that. From this picture you can see how I hold it on. It just looks like a black sheet which covers up the lower grill. It is water proof because it is plastic and is easily removed when the weather warms up. Note that I put the twine on each side of the grill supports so that the blocker can't slide either way to block the fog lights. That wire is how I reached in and pulled the twine out from behind the grill.

Attached Files:

8. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Nov 28 2006, 06:11 PM) [snapback]355075[/snapback]</div>
    Here is the finished product. This the largest picture which PC would allow me to send.

Attached Files:

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My first winter with my Prius was the bitterly cold '04/05 winter, with many nights of -40 even in December. Granted I have heated underground parking at my condo, but due to the blizzards the snow routing had traffic at a crawl.

Sitting in traffic at -40, the motor would cool off it would run constantly, and even then I just about froze. Though I did have a fully green battery SOC.

It has been my experience that winter fronts, which are still fairly common up here, are the most benefit in cold highway driving, with little benefit in slow city driving. I decided to fashion one anyway.

I had some black rubber material which is used as a pickup sheet for a paper machine, had half a roll at the hobby farm. So I cut it out to fit over top the lower grille. It blends in so well you have to walk right up to the car to notice it.

Even at -40 I had plenty of heat, and the gas engine would briefly shut down at red lights. I really didn't know what to do about the two upper slits, until Frank Hudon suggested 1/2 inch foam pipe insulation. You slit it in half, cut to fit, and push it into the upper grille slits. They also blend in so well you have to walk right up to the car to notice them.

I only cover both slits in temps of -14 C and colder. At -35 C, even in city driving I have plenty of heat and the motor will readily shut down at red lights. I can even stealth a bit at lower speeds.

I would be leery of actually blocking the rad itself unless I could constantly monitor engine and inverter temps. Stuffing insulation into the actual engine bay?? No way. Remember that fiberglas insulation tends to melt upon exposure to high temps.

If you really want to stuff insulation into the engine bay - no way I ever would - use something fireproof like mineral wool. Roxul is mineral wool.

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thank you Allannde. both pictures were good to see B)

11. Matt D

Matt D New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    anyone replace a radiator?