1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bloomberg predicts BEVs are the vehicles of the future

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by el Crucero, Aug 26, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There have been many Tesla owners that have run wiring to a detached garage. The cost can run to $1000+ in that case but it becomes a potential asset to the property, just like the PV panels I added to my house.

I am not understanding. Don't all panels have a meter?

2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota?

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Whole house TOU isn't what most people opt for, since avoiding peak isn't always realistic... hence a second meter.

We actually have 2 subs, one for each charger. It's handy for tracking, especially with 3 time-rates throughout the day.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No, probably depends upon your utility.
    In our case, we do because we get a production credit. If we didn't, all we would need is a replacement of our meter with a net meter. No additional meter.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota is making substantial investments in battery and motor tech. don't let the lack of a north american bev or their negative plug in talk fool you. they will be in the game. dragged kicking and screaming, but when there is no other choice...

6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, we get production credit too.

It seems like there would be a less expensive way to track use without adding sub-panels and meters.

7. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do you have any links for what they are up to? I'd be interested in what they are doing in this area but can't find anything on the Internet other than Toyota saying BEVs will never work. Apparently they are opposed to investing in a proprietary charging system thinking that it is governments' responsibility to provide infrastructure.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Google “Toyota China EV”. China is moving big time to EVs. Toyota is rolling out a BEV for the China market.
    They are simply doing it when they have no other choice. They will make the move, thee question is when.

It is pretty simple and cheap with just a submeter.
    That said, there are a lot of utilities that don’t offer production credits.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they will not be building out charging infrastructure, anymore than hydrogen infrastructure.
    they will just try to take advantage of a market when it is hot and ready for competition.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, i did read something about air battery research or something. but with their hybrid and phev experience, and the research that went into those, i have no doubt they are doing the necessary r+d, and will not hesitate to invest in or buy companies if they need to, to build competitive bev's when the time comes.

11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As BEV's become more mainstream businesses, apartments and condos will install the facilities for charging. It will get to the point in the future they will loose business because they have failed to keep up with the competition. Maybe to the point of actually making some extra money for the convenience of a parking spot with charging capability.
    Kind of like going to a hotel with no continental breakfast, swimming pool, or HBO. :D

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd be happy to find a hotel with guaranteed charging stations, and i'll buy my own donuts.

el Crucero and Zythryn like this.
  13. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you, found it. It appears that Toyota is offering three models to the China market: C-HR BEV, Corolla PHEV, and Levin PHEV. What is most revealing is this quote from CTVnews.ca:
    It's quite a departure for a company that said not long ago that it didn't see a future in the short term for all-electric cars, and would focus on hybrids and more efficient petrol engines.

This conversion to the electric cause isn't a completely voluntary move, though, as the Chinese government is imposing a requirement that a certain percentage of a car brand's sales in the country have to be electric.
    So, Toyota's commitment to China is for compliance cars. That is one way to get Toyota to come around and not necessarily a bad way, but it shows that Toyota is still dragging its feet and would not be entering the EV market unless it had to. I hope they export the C-HR BEV to the US market too next year. It will be interesting to see what the specs are for the electric C-HR. I have made no secret that I am no longer a fan of PHEVs even though I drive one. PHEVs are now old technology with very limited electric range and rely on the crutch of the ICE. I will be happy when Toyota offers a full range of BEVs to the world market

The market IS hot and ready for competition and the time has come.

How can a small company like Tesla build a charging infrastructure and a mega-company like Toyota can't? My answer: COMMITMENT!

California is already moving in that direction with legislation that requires cooperation for EV infrastructure in apartments. condominiums, and single family residences. More residential units are being constructed with PV and charging outlets included. And most encouraging, these units, whether owned or rented, are selling faster with greater demand than those without.

padroo and Zythryn like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, toyota is not committed to ev's (yet) and has never shown any passion for investing in the future of others unless the government foots the bill.

still, we need more than tesla, and we take what we get.

the n/a market is not hot outside of california. you need to get out more often.

suggestion: read through national plug in day and look at how many ev's are being displayed in each location.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How is that any different from GM entering the market, but not doing anything with it? That passive-aggressive stance GM has taken is actually worse. They rollout token offerings, do nothing, then end up claiming there was no interest.

Sound familiar? Rather than waiting to come out with a product that competitive with traditional vehicles, they rushed. When has not taking time to do it right been a bad choice?

People are portraying Toyota's effort to make plugging in a sustainable business that doesn't have tax-credit dependency a mistake. That makes no sense whatsoever. Yet, we hear "fallen behind" all the time without any actual substance to support it. If GM were really far ahead, they would have sales to prove it. Instead, we see Volt & Bolt having eaten all the low-hanging fruit... a market without any early-adopters remaining. In other words, no one is knocking on GM's door.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gm isn't much better. bolt puts them ahead of toyota, but two wrongs don't make a right.

comparing any company to tesla puts that company in a bad light, it's impossible.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am with you. But I don't think we are talking about waiting for the public to adopt EV.
    Govt and utilities want to see mandates. But I see it going to 10% like ethanol.

I think I only said a few weeks ago, if I had nickel for every pro-EV article from Bloomberg, I could get a few bucks off my next Prius probably 20 or 30 bucks by now. Bloomberg is obviously pushing EVs.

18. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As you know, Tesla is a disruptor. They are forcing other makers (particularly Toyota and Honda) to up their game. It is going to get much worse for those other companies by the end of this year and next.

I will be globe hopping this November including Boston, which I do a couple of times a year. Boston will definitely be cooler than California.

padroo and bisco like this.
  19. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree with you. However GM will reach the 200K tax credit phase out in Q1/19.

Tesla is already in the tax credit phase out period. Certainly, there will be some who are dependent on the tax credit to purchase a Tesla. But you would need to make in excess of $70K a year to take advantage of the full tax credit which is hardly a detriment to purchasing a base model 3. Elon thinks that elimination of the tax credit will have no effect on Tesla sales, in fact he wanted them eliminated a year ago. I agree with him, but only time will tell.

No one is knocking on GM's door because the stealership structure is not pushing them. The stealership makes money on service and repairs which is comparatively absent with Bolts.​
    It is unfortunate when government has to step in and force people to do the right thing when the people refuse to do so. It makes me want to lose faith in humanity.

I wish I had a penny for every negative article pushed by Business Insider, stock analysts, and Internet FUDsters. I could have paid for my model 3 by now! It has been predicted by those folks that Tesla only has months to survive for the last 10 years! :LOL:

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you start with no faith in humanity, losing it won't be an issue for you. if you are a student of history, this is easy.