1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bloomberg reveals Munro report

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Oct 19, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have been critical of Bloomberg for their unabashed anti-Tesla articles but this is different: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-17/tearing-apart-teslas-to-find-elon-musk-s-best-and-worst-decisions

Sandy Munro, the founder of Munro & Associates, a small firm that disassembles new cars piece by piece, concluded that the Model 3 costs about $2,000 more to produce than a similarly-priced BMW i3 and may have additional cost problems in its assembly plant.
    . . .
    “If that car was made anywhere else, and Elon wasn’t part of the manufacturing process, they would make a lot of money,” Munro said in an interview. “They’re just learning all the old mistakes everyone else made years ago.” Munro said he admires Tesla’s technology, so he sent the company a pro bono list of 227 suggested improvements.
    . . .
    Tesla declined comment, although the company did cite a statement from April saying that Model 3 line has gotten better since Munro’s cars were built. “We have significantly refined our production processes since then, and while there’s always room for improvement, our data already shows that Model 3 quality is rapidly getting better.”
    . . .
    The Model 3 that got the tear-down treatment was a $50,000 version with a black paint job. Munro estimated the total cost to build was $34,700. Adding in logistics costs and a generous assumption for labor, Munro estimates that gross profit margins would exceed 30 percent.
    . . .
    A cheaper version of the Model 3 examined by his team would cost less than $30,000 to build, Munro said, because the smaller battery is less expensive and some other equipment would come out of the car. By comparison, Munro estimated the cost to produce the Chevrolet Bolt at a little more than $30,000 in parts, while the BMW i3 costs less than $33,000.
    . . .

There is a wealth of detail in this article. Some of it is contradictory such as the cost to build the Model 3 he reviewed, $34,700, vs $30,000 Bolt and $33,000 BMW i3.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who knows if he is right or wrong?
    i can see why bloomberg ran with it, it has a negative tinge.
    but taken overall, compared to other bev mfg's, it sounds like tesla is doing a bang up job.
    does it imply that gm and bmw don't make mistakes?

#2 bisco, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018